Campagnolo Shamal Carbon DB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

any updates on actual weights / rides?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

I don't understand why people complain about decals. The great thing about them is that you can just peel them off.

It's a shame Campag didn't aim for a ~1500g weight. That would have been easily doable.

But maybe it's product segmentation and they'll drop a 1300g ultra set.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Does anyone happen to know if it is just the simple FH-BO015X1 Shimano freehub from Campy that is all that is needed to make an N3W (Shamal Carbon) or Bora WTO Shimano compatible I'm doing the unthinkable and need some campy wheels on a Shimano bike. Thinking Shamal Carbon for the 21mm inner width as I want to use this as a "road" wheelset on my gravel bike. The 19mm WTO inner width seems really narrow for anything but a pure road bike. Thinking to run the GP5000 TL in 32mm.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ridden for a few hundred kms now and they seem fine as wheels. Tubeless setup is easy but the tyre (schwalbe x one are horrid.

Like all campagnolo wheels the hubs are buttery.

wilwil

by wilwil

Are these gravel bike wheels? I'm thinking of them for an all year round ti disc build. I plan on 28mm tyres. I wanted something cheaper than WTOs. The lanes around here are pretty mucky in the winter. I notice they dont have aero spokes.

LucasNid

by LucasNid

Anyone owning them and willing to provide feedback?

It’s time for my Giant TCR Advanced 1 disc (2021) to get a wheelset upgrade from the stock PR-2 (approx weight 2000g).

Given that I have decided for a budget around $1,500 AUD, I have set my mind on two options:

Option 1. Fulcrum Wind 40 ($1,600 AUD), 40mm deep carbon rims with standard steel bearings. Declared Weight: 1620g.

Option 2. Campagnolo Shamal ($1,700 AUD), 35mm front and 40mm rear deep carbon rims with cup and cone bearings. Declared weight: 1585g.

Alternatively stick with alloy rims, with the Fulcrum Racing Zero ($1,200 AUD), 30mm deep alloy rims with the USB ceramic bearings. Declared Weight: 1590g.

Now, I live in Melbourne (Aus) in a bit of a hilly area, but no major climbs. The rest of my rides are pretty flattish.
Also I use my TCR to commute to work, so I take the bike out in any weather conditions.

I know none of these are "light" wheels, but this is all I can afford.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

wilwil

by wilwil

Now seen them in the flesh. The stick on decals really dont look good and I would probably remove them. However I never worried about it with alu wheels like Neutrons. Apart from that they look okay. Its a shame they havent used areo spokes. The drive side and front disc side are j bend the rest are straight pull.

nowtaps

by nowtaps

@wilwil

Did you end up getting them? If so, how did it feel with 28mm tyres?

I'm also on the same boat, thinking of getting this instead of the WTO for my road bike I'm building and using the savings on some other parts.

RyanH

by RyanH

I thought the finish on them looked very nice, possibly one of the nicest finishes I've seen on a wheel in awhile. I'm running them with 35mm tires so mostly any wheel characteristics are fully muted. I'll report back when I put 28s on. They don't require rim tape so at least factor that into the weight.

wilwil

by wilwil

nowtaps wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:03 am
@wilwil

Did you end up getting them? If so, how did it feel with 28mm tyres?

I'm also on the same boat, thinking of getting this instead of the WTO for my road bike I'm building and using the savings on some other parts.
Got them but waiting for a frame to put them on. It's a shame they haven't got aero spokes and the decals aren't great.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I'll be seeing a set of these in the next week mounted with 32mm Rene Herse tires on an Ekar bike. I have 2 other sets of Campy wheels (Bora WTO's) and now I cannot see myself buying any other wheels but Campy.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

blind76

by blind76

Can someone confirm that shimano freehub should be so silent?

I bought them and hub is quiet but some yt video shows them much louder than mine

RyanH

by RyanH

New free hubs are generally very quiet and get louder over time.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I don't know why, but sometimes Campy overpacks their wheel's free hubs with a little too much grease.

I've got at least 6 pair of Campy wheels over the decade, and all of them but 1 required cleaning and re-greasing out of the factory box. My Campy shops say this is not uncommon.

Sometimes, riding helps open up the sound a bit. But other times you just gotta get in there and when you see how much grease there is... you'll be thinking ya there was no way the sound was going to open up without a proper overhaul.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blind76

by blind76

How much grease do you usually put on the freehub?