MY2021 Giant SLR 1 Catastrophic Tubeless Rim Failure. (reason found to be mounting bike with wheels in direct line of c

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dedaciai

by dedaciai

Hi Everyone

Anyone here running MY21 Giant SLR 1 Tubeless wheelsets? The reason I ask is that I had to warranty the first wheel because of defect in the carbon (see first photo). After waiting almost six weeks I got my second wheel and it failed catastrophically before ever being ridden (see series of photos). So far, Giant has been pretty good about things. I'm just hoping that I can get another wheel soon and/or they find out that this may be a recall issue for the front SLR 1s. Has anyone else with these wheels had this issue?

Warranty of first rim when I first got the bike. Notice the wrinkle in the spoke bed.
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200602101705781_COVER (1).jpg
New warranty wheel with catastrophic failure before being ridden.
- Tire was installed without levers (tire was Cadex 25mm tubeless)
- Tire pumped to 100psi (6.7 bar) to seat tire
- Deflated then sealant injected (Orange Seal)
- Tire reinflated to 83 psi (5.7 bar)
- Everything looked good, wheel rolled straight (still not ridden)
- Put bike on bike rack to go do ride (30 minute drive)
- Took bike off and saw these seen below in the pics.
IMG_20200719_131945.jpg
IMG_20200719_131938.jpg
IMG_20200719_131933.jpg
Last edited by dedaciai on Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

That's horrendous. I'm seriously reconsidering buying a Giant TCR now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dedaciai

by dedaciai

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:11 pm
That's horrendous. I'm seriously reconsidering buying a Giant TCR now.
The frame, crossing fingers and toes, has been great. You can't tell from the pics but basically the stickers and clear coat finish were holding the rim together. The carbon failed completely through.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Warranty replacement, then wait 6 weeks and new ones fail before being ridden? Sorry, but I would lose all trust in Giant and demand a full refund. Something is very wrong with not only their QC but also their customer service.

dedaciai

by dedaciai

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:23 pm
Warranty replacement, then wait 6 weeks and new ones fail before being ridden? Sorry, but I would lose all trust in Giant and demand a full refund. Something is very wrong with not only their QC but also their customer service.
Yeah, I hated waiting six wheels too but the pandemic and crazy bikes sales means they literally have no stock. It seems like every bike manufacturer has no stock of anything unless it's for really expensive stuff. :-(

I'm not I even sure I'd be able to get a new bike right now even if I wanted one in this price range because of low inventory. The shop I'm working with has been great, so far. I'm gonna see what giant says (I can hope for a pair of Cadex, no?) and if their answer is below par (e.g. excessive wait for another wheel) then I will pursue other avenues.

Rishie

by Rishie

Two is too many imo. I’d ask for my money back and look elsewhere.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Jeez that super scary

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

sychen

by sychen

Ask for alternate wheelset from another brand.. Or at least refund retail cost of wheels so you can get another set yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

dedaciai

by dedaciai

sychen wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:55 pm
Ask for alternate wheelset from another brand.. Or at least refund retail cost of wheels so you can get another set yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I'm borrowing a Cadex front wheel from the Giant rep at the moment. The rear wheel still looks fine. I've emailed Giant and sent them an FB message hoping to get the word out about this. Two front wheels in one go is quite disconcerting. Anybody have an email address for Giant USA besides the GiantWebLing@... email address?

alanyu

by alanyu

Your are not the first one. New SLR (front) rims are simply not strong enough.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

No reason to dismiss a frame manufacturer because of issues with wheels.

But I'd never run those wheels again.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Imaking20 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:42 am
No reason to dismiss a frame manufacturer because of issues with wheels.

But I'd never run those wheels again.
Sorry, no. I even though the wheels are probably made by another factory to the frame, and possibly even in another country, Giant have put their name and reputation on them. If you sell garbage to a customer, you can expect your name and reputation to become garbage.

Giant should move hell and high water to replace the wheels ASAP, both the original wheels, and the replacements, sourced from another manufacturer with equal or higher quality if need be. It takes 10 days max to send wheels from Asia to the US even if you have low US stock there is still somewhere in Asia pumping out wheels. It shows they don't really care. Of course they'll say it's Giant USA's problem so you can't expect Giant Asia/China/Taiwan to pay for it, but we all know the money trail leads back to the Liu family in Taiwan. Then some will say 'all manufacturers are like this', but that's nonsense too, a whole industry with shoddy quality and poor customer service does not excuse anyone.

If Giant now do a recall and make sure their customers get new wheels in days or weeks or straight away and apologise and say 'we don't know how this has happened' and change their supplier or the design, it might go somewhere to reassuring me, but until then I'll be keeping well away.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

You put bike on a bike rack. Was the wheel near the car exhaust?
This can kill wheels

kiritozhang

by kiritozhang

Giant TCR is undoubtedly an excellent product, but SLR wheels are not. According to the cadex tire pressure instructions, it should run under 85-125psi air pressure. However, when it is higher than 100psi, the rim is easily damaged by excessive pressure, and the valve may penetrate the rim.
If you are the rim brake version, this will be more deadly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

If it has to do with wheels it goes in the EVERYTHING WHEELS subforum. Topic moved.
Speedplay is the devil!