Veloflex Pro Tour and Pro Tour Race Tubulars comparison

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

HI all,
I was curious about the difference between Veloflex Pro Tour and Pro Tour Race tubulars, so I bough a pair of each.

The difference is noticeable at first feel. The rolling band is much thicker on the Pro Tour than the Race version, I couldn't tell just by "feel" the difference between tha natural rubber (Pro Tour Race) and the synthetic compound (Pro tour).
The Pro Tour sould be fine for many km's. I hope as many km's as my favourite Arenbergs. They feel more "racier" than Arenbergs although as comfortable.

The casing is more supple on the Race version. It's also obviously lighter.
They are really close to the Record in terms of suppleness, weight and rolling band thickness. I would be curious to know their Crr.

I already have a few hundred km's on the Pro Tour (and Service Course wich i"feels" like the same tub) and only have good things to say.
Personally I won't ride the Race version in other conditions than on race conditions.
I'm sure they feel incredible to ride for fast rides, but to me their purpose is intended for race days.
If you have nice roads in your area and don't mind changing expensive tubs every 1000 km's, you may like to use them for everyday riding :).
So I don't think I'll be testing them this year ( :( ) , or maybe I'll put them on a TT wheelset as we have a few TT's here running this summer, and a 25 mm fast race tub would be a good fit on some wheels I have.

LOuis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

thanks for the report. :beerchug:

when Pro Tour and Race version came out, i have only just received the Service Course. At the time i compared the chart on the veloflex offical website, i was under the impression the Service Course is abit faster than Race but at expenses of puncture protection. However, your experience suggest that's not the case. Thanks for the feedback. :thumbup:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Ok, you made me hesitate there for a moment for the Service Course... :oops:
I had to search for an "old" specs of the Service Course.
You're right ! 350 TPI and Natural rubber compound thread: https://www.bike24.com/p2338303.html
So my bad.
The Service Course rolling band doesn't feel as thin as the Pro Tour Race one though :?
I have one Service Course on a rear wheel with maybe 1500 km's on it. My son-in-law did Yorkshire Worlds (JR) and a few stage races with it last september and although he loved the wheels he said the thread wouldn't last long.
I find it just fine and transfered it on one of my front wheels. It's now over 2500 km and will do many more...

So it's a great deal to get these Service Course at lower price than Pro Tour Race.

LOuis :)

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

you would have thought Race would be...RACE ! lol. so i think it makes sense the SC is closer to the non-race version. I had Vittoria Corsa Speed before this and i feel the SC is closer to Veloflex carbon instead of Corsa Speed. Although i must admit i use it on my Triathlon bike, so i dont push tyre grip as much as i would on a road bike, so im only commenting on rolling resistance. :beerchug:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

elfuinha

by elfuinha

i've had this year the service Course and i've now the Pro Tour Race, and i didn't notice any diference on the riding of both the tubulars, on the same wheels.

the new version "Pro Tour Race" as more rubber on the lateral of the Thread... the rest is equal, same Ride quality.

On great smoth road... it's a very soft, plush ride... and they are very... very fast...

On bad Pavement, they are not very forging, and you feel everything...i mean EVERYTHING... i'm also on a Mavic Ultimate T 2020 wheels that are superstiff.

To me they are a everyday tubular in terms of Km, as the Vittoria Graphene 2.0, the Veloflex Service Course, Arenberg... etc... they will do at least 4000Km on the rear.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Thanks for the report. My plan is to put a race in front and the pro tour rear. This way i get extra flat protection where it matters. I never wore or flatted a front tire, only replace them cause of age / boredom etc.

Elfuinha, would you share your weigth and pressures?

Milese

by Milese

Has anyone measured these? How do they come up width and height wise please?

I want the 25mm, but might have to go for the 23's....

C36

by C36

Milese wrote:Has anyone measured these? How do they come up width and height wise please?

I want the 25mm, but might have to go for the 23's....
For pro tour race
Width within specs +/- 0.1mm over my 4 samples 23 and 25mm.
Weight very well at specs.

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project
Last edited by C36 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanH

by RyanH

Service course is a good deal lighter then (25mm):

mrlobber

by mrlobber

^^^ yes, exactly my experience, Service Course @ 25mm = 265g.

I would have thought that Pro Tour (non Race) 25mm would be an Arenberg equivalent, which also would explain that close-to 290g weight (Arenbergs also were in that region).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Pro Tour tires are my favorites right now. SO FAST!
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Milese

by Milese

FYI I went with the 23mm ProTour and they weigh in at 260 and 265g.

Ordered Wednesday, delivered Friday from Italy to the UK.

Milese

by Milese

First ride on them today and very pleased, noticably nicer ride than conti's.

exctasy

by exctasy

Hi guys, any feedback on these tubs in the wet?
hows the mileage so far?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Unexpectedly crashed on them (front Pro Tour Race, rear Pro Tour, both 25mm, freshly glued) recently at slow speed (~30 kph) on a corner I've ridden like 100 of times.
Outside, it was +2C, overcast, windy, but the road surface itself was dry. Wheels were shallow 25mm, so I exclude the crosswind impact as well, thus, I have no other explanation than that the tyres simply lost their grip... which sort of makes me nervous.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike