ENVE SES 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mothetgoo

by mothetgoo

Yes, perhaps I am exaggerating a little bit but not much. I don't mean that they are such a leap forward for any reason that reliability though. I have now been riding tubeless for two years and I have never, not once, gotten a flat out on the road while riding. To me, that is invaluable, and even if they were slower I would still ride them because I would feel like I was gaining back the time I used to spend fixing flats.

I honestly feel the same way about electronic shifting. It's not that I think it makes me x watts faster (I don't), it's just that I feel like my old drivetrain used to be slightly "out of tune" roughly half the time.

The combo of tubeless and electronic makes me feel like I can just get on my bike and ride whenever I want, and everything will just work. I find this incredibly freeing. So while I don't think that tubeless is revolutionary from a speed perspective, I do think it has a huge impact on my quality of life.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

To revive this: I have heard rumors from an lbs, that he was informed about selling off old SES stock, and *something* coming in early 2021...
Does anyone know anything here? New ENVEs would be sick...
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

have not heard anything..

a replacement for 5.6 disc would be nice, but I really cant think of anything other then weight I would change abou them.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Raimundo

by Raimundo

The possibility of new 5.6 tubular disc rims is the only reason i still haven't built a set wit the current ones. Lets hope they exceed the old ones more than marginally... but, on the other hand those Shimano ones spotted at the TDF under the FDJ riders looked very, very juicy.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:59 pm

a replacement for 5.6 disc would be nice, but I really cant think of anything other then weight I would change abou them.
A lot of recent releases by DTSwiss, Roval or HED were a lot wider than the ENVEs. While I value stability of ENVEs very highly, the Roval Rapide or DTSwiss ARC Dicut DB (2020 releases) are absolutely sublime in the wind.
The ENVEs could shed a little weight, incorporate newer hubs, maybe new spokes (DT Swiss like ENVE did before 2018), be a little wider/ shaped differently, and offer different depths. Not saying all this is urgently needed, just saying what they could do.
They don't really offer a real climbing wheel for instance...
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Raimundo

by Raimundo

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:20 pm
spdntrxi wrote:

A lot of recent releases by DTSwiss, Roval or HED were a lot wider than the ENVEs. While I value stability of ENVEs very highly, the Roval Rapide or DTSwiss ARC Dicut DB (2020 releases) are absolutely sublime in the wind.
The ENVEs could shed a little weight, incorporate newer hubs, maybe new spokes (DT Swiss like ENVE did before 2018), be a little wider/ shaped differently, and offer different depths. Not saying all this is urgently needed, just saying what they could do.
The width and weight of their 5.6 tubular rims is actually what made me so interested, that and the sad fact that none of the big players sell their rims individually...

DHG01

by DHG01

FlatlandClimber wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:

Isn't the 2.2 climbing? I would say light at under 1.1 kg.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

DHG01 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:50 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:

Isn't the 2.2 climbing? I would say light at under 1.1 kg.
At least from what I can find on their website, the full wheelset comes in at 1300 to 1400g depending on the hub.
Also, they are rimbrake only and 18.5mm internal width, which is pretty 2015.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

DHG01

by DHG01

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 am

At least from what I can find on their website, the full wheelset comes in at 1300 to 1400g depending on the hub.
Also, they are rimbrake only and 18.5mm internal width, which is pretty 2015.
The tubular version is about 1.06 kg. But they are rim.
I think outside width maxes as 27.5 mm.

Having said, yes they probably are not the most modern out there.

NSWCruiser

by NSWCruiser

Recently I sent an email to ENVE and asked if there is going to be an update for the ENVE SES 4.5 AR. The answer is positive, there is going to be an update next year with the inclusion of wide hookless bead technology. You can expect that the wheels will be more puncture resistent. But at the same time, the weight does not necessarily go lighter.

I have ordered mine, but still waiting for the shipment. It has been a few months :(
2023 S-WORKS EPIC EVO
2024 S-WORKS TARMAC SL8

Retired
-------------
2022 Cervelo R5
2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

NSWCruiser wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:25 am
You can expect that the wheels will be more puncture resistent. But at the same time, the weight does not necessarily go lighter.
How can a rim design materially affect the puncture resistance of the tire attached to it?

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

NSWCruiser wrote:
Recently I sent an email to ENVE and asked if there is going to be an update for the ENVE SES 4.5 AR. The answer is positive, there is going to be an update next year with the inclusion of wide hookless bead technology. You can expect that the wheels will be more puncture resistent. But at the same time, the weight does not necessarily go lighter.

I have ordered mine, but still waiting for the shipment. It has been a few months :(
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:28 am
NSWCruiser wrote:
You can expect that the wheels will be more puncture resistent. But at the same time, the weight does not necessarily go lighter.
How can a rim design materially affect the puncture resistance of the tire attached to it?

sounds like they are borrowing the mtb technology. essentially the rim lip becomes quite thick and allow you to run at 30-40psi on a road bike. so in an event of bottoming out, the lip is so thick that it wont cut through the tubeless tyre. This sometimes happened on MTB when you run at sub-10psi and hit a rock. similar to traditionally what happen to snake biting an inner tube but here its the outer tyre that get pinched through.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

WorkonSunday wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:02 pm
NSWCruiser wrote:

BdaGhisallo wrote:
NSWCruiser wrote:

sounds like they are borrowing the mtb technology. essentially the rim lip becomes quite thick and allow you to run at 30-40psi on a road bike. so in an event of bottoming out, the lip is so thick that it wont cut through the tubeless tyre. This sometimes happened on MTB when you run at sub-10psi and hit a rock. similar to traditionally what happen to snake biting an inner tube but here its the outer tyre that get pinched through.

Ah. I was thinking of tread being pierced. Thanks for the explanation.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:58 pm
WorkonSunday wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:02 pm
NSWCruiser wrote:

BdaGhisallo wrote:
NSWCruiser wrote:

Ah. I was thinking of tread being pierced. Thanks for the explanation.
i got a feeling there is already some marketing spin in that email lol :mrgreen: :beerchug:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

NSWCruiser

by NSWCruiser

Sorry I may not be very familiar with their tech, so I just quote the email
Thank you for reaching out. Apologies that we cannot deliver the new wheels sooner. The good news is many new people are getting into cycling and thus demand is at an all-time high. Unfortunately, this has created some heavy burdens on manufacturing.

Anyway, to answer your question. The SES 4.5AR will likely be updated in mid to late 2021 to include our “wide hookless bead” anti-pinch flat protection technology.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Last edited by NSWCruiser on Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 S-WORKS EPIC EVO
2024 S-WORKS TARMAC SL8

Retired
-------------
2022 Cervelo R5
2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com