ENVE SES 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

So... taken a risk here! A friend who works with D2Z advised me there are some new SES rims coming out later in the year! I have just ordered a set of new DT Swis 180 hubs in anticipation 😳 the 5.6 and 7.8 are due an update... I am really hoping for a 6.7 that will be light and an aero weapon ready for the new Tarmac 🤞..

Does anyone else know anything else?.. from what I have read ENVE are developing no new wheels that aren't hookless! So that's will be interesting... doubt they will be AR wide but maybe 22.5mm internal?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypuh

by Ypuh

I don't know anything, but some Enve wheels definitely seem ready for an update.

Would they get any wider? I'm not sure. 21mm and up is not for anyone, neither is hookless or disc only. Having owned pretty much all sized between 15-25mm internal, I'd say the sweetspot between fast and comfortable is 20mm internal width. That is living in an area with generally good road surface.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

petromyzon

by petromyzon

So you ordered a £600 set of hubs to build to unreleased rims? Bold!

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Ha ha except I got them for £500 🤘 but yes.. however worst comes to worse they are great hubs to build up an alternative on
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

kode54

by kode54

With all the newer frames accepting 30-32mm tires or near that...I would think that the 5.6 and 7.8 are due for updates. Would be interesting to see a 5.6AR come out.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

A new TT frontwheel would be awesome. Possibly deeper than the 71mm of the SES 7.8. The 7.8 are fantastic in the wind, but could be a little faster.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Pierre86

by Pierre86

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:55 pm
A new TT frontwheel would be awesome. Possibly deeper than the 71mm of the SES 7.8. The 7.8 are fantastic in the wind, but could be a little faster.
What is the 7 slower than?
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pierre86 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:35 am

Deeper rims.
A Pro tri-spoke.

Pierre86

by Pierre86

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:48 am
Pierre86 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:35 am

Deeper rims.
A Pro tri-spoke.
Some deeper rims, not anything by zipp, maybe one hed. Aerocoach wheels maybe but they're reasonably small time.
Has the pro ever been tested fast? From what I know it's chosen for it's ride characteristics more than its outright speed, it's no h3 or h3deep.
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

h3's ride like shit... I'd rather ride a enve 7
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Like Tobin said, deeper wheels and tri/4/5-spokes are generally tested faster than a 71mm wheel. The ENVEs ride great, no question, but they aren't the fastest wheels out there.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Are we referering to real world tests here? Or some non-representative wind tunnel test? How much faster/slower are we really talking about? Would anyone really consider brand A over brand B for a 3 second gain over 40 kilometers?

I'd rather look at the specifications (width, height, hubs, rim profile etc.) and things that everyone seems to ignore; ride feel and durability. These differ per person obviously, and are a lot harder to measure, but the differences are way greater than the 3w of energy saved at 45 kp/h.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Ypuh wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:49 pm
Are we referering to real world tests here? Or some non-representative wind tunnel test? How much faster/slower are we really talking about? Would anyone really consider brand A over brand B for a 3 second gain over 40 kilometers?

I'd rather look at the specifications (width, height, hubs, rim profile etc.) and things that everyone seems to ignore; ride feel and durability. These differ per person obviously, and are a lot harder to measure, but the differences are way greater than the 3w of energy saved at 45 kp/h.
Tbh, yes, I would buy a wheel, that is 3 seconds faster. A stabil bike is faster, a deep aero rim profile is faster. The ENVE SES 7.8 are great. But they aren't perfect. They could eek out a little speed at a little more depth, and try to make it as light and stabil as the predecessor. A man can have wishes, right?
Didn't mean to talk down the current product, quite the opposite.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Pierre86

by Pierre86

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:44 pm
Ypuh wrote:

Tbh, yes, I would buy a wheel, that is 3 seconds faster. A stabil bike is faster, a deep aero rim profile is faster. The ENVE SES 7.8 are great. But they aren't perfect. They could eek out a little speed at a little more depth, and try to make it as light and stabil as the predecessor. A man can have wishes, right?
Buy an enve 7, it's a fair bit more than 3s faster than the 858
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Pierre86 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:06 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:44 pm
Ypuh wrote:

Buy an enve 7, it's a fair bit more than 3s faster than the 858
How can you claim that?
I know the differences are minimal, but it clearly isn't that the ENVEs are noticeably faster. Also, I only use the front wheel for my TT bike, so the the deeper ZIPP will have the edge over the shallower ENVE. Depth is still very important, even if ever more brands claim their shape has beaten depth (Roval, Bontrager).
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com