New Bontrager Aeolus RSL/ Pro 37

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:35 pm

It tested very well in Hambini's test.

We still have zero proof of any of this testing actually having occurred.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I am also very suspicious of these Hambini results. He took out 25 sets of wheels to a windtunnel? How? Why would he have the resources of that... well, different topic.

This seems to be the first test (not wind tunnel) of the RSL 51:
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a3 ... 51-review/
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Coopy112

by Coopy112

cycleboyco wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:46 pm
Mine came installed with the TLR rim strip (white). I did not get any rim tape, but given that Trek pushes their TLR strip, would think that any tape supplied tape is not meant for tubeless. FWIW, the TLR strip is much heavier than tubeless tape-I had the LBS remove the strip and taped it with Schwalbe tubeless 23mm tape and, based on a recommendation form another WW member, replaced the stock tubeless valves with Stan's valves, as the base of the stock valve is contoured to work with the TLR strip. One of the wheels took a few days to hold air, but no issues with the tubeless setup since then with either wheel using Conti 5K TL tires.
If you guys allow me, I would like to go a bit deeper into this. The fact is, that I have since a month my new Aeolus Pro 37 wheels on my Trek Emonda SL6 Disc 2019 bike: an upgrade if you ask me. I also replaced the 18 tooth by the 54 tooth rachet: better sound. I'm still riding on my Vittoria Corsa G2 28mm clinchers, but I want to go tubeless. Because of the weight I don't want to install the rim strips that came with the wheels. So I'm looking for the right rim tape and valve set up.

Based on what I've read so far, I'm considering:

Valve
As the valves that comes with the wheels are best suited (?) with the rim strips, I want to go for the mentioned Stan's tubeless valves. In black 55mm. Correct?

Is the Stan's Core Removal Tool necessary?

Sealant
To stay with Stan's I consider their regular Sealant. Does the pint come with the little 2 ounce bottle? Or is better to order directly the Sealant Injector?

Tape
The internal width is (as you know) 21mm. What do you guys advise and what is your experience whit the different tubeless rim tapes on these wheel? Again: to stay with Stan's, I've read something good about Stan's 25mm tape. But isn't that too broad, will that give complications? Stan's does recommend it's Rim Tape for rims with an internal width of 23-25mm. So, maybe it's wise to go for a 23mm tape by DT Swiss or Schwalbe as Stan's jumps from 21mm to 25mm tape.

Tires
I consider to install the Pirelli P Zero 28mm tubeless tires. Their classic look isn't available yet in tubeless. I'll go for the all blacks then.

Lots of text, a lot considerations. Hopefully you guys can put me in the good direction for my first tubeless installation. Thanks in advance!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1. Just about any valve will work, but I prefer the ones with conical stoppers. 55mm is really short for use with a 51mm rim. Go with at least a 60mm valve. Any valve core removal tool will work. If you buy extra valve cores, you will probably get a plastic one in the package. The Park Tool or Stan's tool are also fine.

2. Do not friggin' use Stan's. If you have access to Orange Seal in your region, get that. If not, then stick to Bontrager TLR sealant.

3. Take the internal rim width and add 4-5mm. Use at least 27mm tape with a 23mm internal rim. My preference is for "green powder coat masking tape" or 3M 8992. Sometimes the green adhesive stays on the rim when you remove the tape, but using White Lightning Clean Streak or other fast drying spray degreaser cleans it right off.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The stuff that come with Bontrager's wheels is top notch. You'll find slightly better elements, but just use what they gave you.

1) Use that Bontrager Rim strip - it's more durable than tape. The tight fitting tires will damage the tape and your tire will leak air.
2) If you use tape, take a hair dryer / heat gun to shrink it a bit after taping the rim.
3) Minimum valve length is around rim depth + 13mm.
4) the sealant is good for inital fill, switch to orange endurance or specialized rapidair/Joes for refill.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Thanks, guys, now I have a minor dilemma. My shop just called to let me know that the 37v I’ve ordered is ready to pick up. So, the question is: use tape or the supplied rim strip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfranci3

by jfranci3

rim strip. They are custom molded for the rim, 1000x more durable, and weigh the same.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

They are considerably heavier and don't allow you to use conical valves. Stick with tape.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Raimundo

by Raimundo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:18 am
"Do not friggin' use Stan's"
Might be a bit of topic, but worth asking why you make such a vivid claim.

I never noticed that Stan's (regular) was that much worse than the direct competition. from my experience none of them is failproof, specially when it comes to road tubeless...

I did got a bottle of OKO Hi-Fiber the other day to test on my road bike, because i had issues with all the ones you mentioned on your post.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you've never noticed any issues with Stan's AND also can't get Orange Seal to work for you, then there's no point in me trying to convince you otherwise.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Ok, thats a reaction! High caffeine intake???

Nevermind Tobin, i meant what i wrote, which aparently you dindn't care to digest or understand ... And no, you don't have to elaborate to please my curiosity.

jas0nt

by jas0nt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:25 am
If you've never noticed any issues with Stan's AND also can't get Orange Seal to work for you, then there's no point in me trying to convince you otherwise.
You can answer people without being a douchenozzle you know?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The search function exists. All sealants have been covered 100x. Since Raimundo already stated he didn’t like Orange Seal, what would be the point in me defending it?

sethjs

by sethjs

Anyone tried to order these in US? I called around and everyone’s saying earliest they can get them Is September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raimundo

by Raimundo

...I don't remenber stating i didn't liked Orange Seal... They all have their quirks.

And i dont think inquiring a direct personal view is for the search function... unless you're already on NeuraLink.

And please don't go ahead and uncorrectly interpret what i wrote. I wasn't attacking you so no need to get defensive/triggered. I my Planet asking other people opinions is actually a sign of recognition... But it soons fade away if the feedback is of this sort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com