New Bontrager Aeolus RSL/ Pro 37

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

ryanw wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Got some today. Very nicely finished and easy to fit the Veloflex tyres.

Claimed weight is 1,325g, mine came in at 1333,3g.
Are these for personal use, or for a customer? I'd love to hear a first-hand comparison between these and the Rapides

florider

by florider

Thanks for the info.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:02 pm
ryanw wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Got some today. Very nicely finished and easy to fit the Veloflex tyres.

Claimed weight is 1,325g, mine came in at 1333,3g.
Are these for personal use, or for a customer? I'd love to hear a first-hand comparison between these and the Rapides
I considered the Raptides too but lost interest when they announced they were tubeless incomaptible. Simply inexcusable in 2020.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:13 pm
I considered the Raptides too but lost interest when they announced they were tubeless incomaptible. Simply inexcusable in 2020.
I have zero interest in tubeless on the road, so it's a nonfactor for me. But, I do agree that it's a bit strange/fishy that they are listed as tubeless incompatible...

Anywho, if I do decide to go with the RSL 37's, I'd use them as a climbing/windy day wheels on my R5 as well, so be sure to report back once you long some more miles on them :thumbup:

Erwin

by Erwin

Good weight for the RSL 37. They also look quite nice, but the hubs from the older Aeolus XXX are nicer in my eyes.
My Aeolus XXX 2 came out a little on the heavy side, 1344g (1305g claimed).
My XXX 6 are 1550g (1530g claimed).

ImageImage

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Erwin wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:54 am
Good weight for the RSL 37. They also look quite nice, but the hubs from the older Aeolus XXX are nicer in my eyes.
My Aeolus XXX 2 came out a little on the heavy side, 1344g (1305g claimed).
My XXX 6 are 1550g (1530g claimed).

ImageImage
Nicer in what way? The xxx use previous generation DT 240 while the RSL's use the current gen 240's.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Erwin

by Erwin

The concave hubs from the Aeolus xxx looks nicer to me. But I compare apples and oranges respectively rim-breaking and disc hubs. From technical view the RSL hubs are still first class!

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

Has anyone set these up tubeless with tape versus the TLR rim strip? Looking for successful rim tape and tubeless valve combos-I assume 23mm rim tape would work best. My understanding on the Aeolus XXX wheels was that the base of the tubeless valves that come with wheels are meant to work with the rim strip and that you need a different shaped base if you want to run it with tape-I assume this remains the case with these new wheels. Also curious if the wheels were preinstalled with the TLR strip for those who bought the wheelset separate from the Emonda. Thanks.

hannawald

by hannawald

Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:38 pm
florider wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:27 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:03 pm
florider wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:35 pm
Hi guys,

Has anyone purchased a set these wheels yet?
Yup. Just picked them up two nights ago and currently set up with tubed tires. Wheels will eventually go tubeless with the new Enve 25mm TL (tan wall) tires.
Your bike looks very nice. How do you like the wheels? I'm debating between a set of the RSL 37 or farsport feder 45 with carbon ti hubs. They are both about the same weight.
Dont know anything about the Farsport wheels. But I've always had good luck with Bontrager wheels. Have the XXX6 on my Madone and the Aelous Pro 3V's on my Revolt. Exceptional wheels with excellent warranty, support. The RSL's will be my climbing wheels on my Cervelo R5 which will be used with Enve 5.6 for majority of rides. BTW the R5 is nocticeably quicker with the RSL's over the Enve. It should as the bike is 11-ounces ligher with this set-up.
I don't get it...so why you are riding it with Enves for majority of rides when RSL's are noticeably quicker? Are you referring just to direct acceleration?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

hannawald wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:13 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:38 pm
florider wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:27 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:03 pm

Yup. Just picked them up two nights ago and currently set up with tubed tires. Wheels will eventually go tubeless with the new Enve 25mm TL (tan wall) tires.
Your bike looks very nice. How do you like the wheels? I'm debating between a set of the RSL 37 or farsport feder 45 with carbon ti hubs. They are both about the same weight.
Dont know anything about the Farsport wheels. But I've always had good luck with Bontrager wheels. Have the XXX6 on my Madone and the Aelous Pro 3V's on my Revolt. Exceptional wheels with excellent warranty, support. The RSL's will be my climbing wheels on my Cervelo R5 which will be used with Enve 5.6 for majority of rides. BTW the R5 is nocticeably quicker with the RSL's over the Enve. It should as the bike is 11-ounces ligher with this set-up.
I don't get it...so why you are riding it with Enves for majority of rides when RSL's are noticeably quicker? Are you referring just to direct acceleration?
yeah he just means accelerations... overall "speed" the 5.6 are likely "faster" because they are more aero.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

bch

by bch

cycleboyco wrote:Has anyone set these up tubeless with tape versus the TLR rim strip? Looking for successful rim tape and tubeless valve combos-I assume 23mm rim tape would work best. My understanding on the Aeolus XXX wheels was that the base of the tubeless valves that come with wheels are meant to work with the rim strip and that you need a different shaped base if you want to run it with tape-I assume this remains the case with these new wheels. Also curious if the wheels were preinstalled with the TLR strip for those who bought the wheelset separate from the Emonda. Thanks.
The TLR strip is not pre-installed on the XXX wheels. You get a fabric rim strip and the TLR strip packed with the wheels. I use Velox tape with tubes
because the fabric rim strip slides around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayOJonson

by JayOJonson

Anyone else reviews on these? im in two minds if i should get them over some enve 3.4's. seem decent value in comparison

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I just wouldn't really advice getting the ENVE SES 3.4 in the first place, unless you get a mad deal.
They aren't really light (over 1400g), look a little dated and are still super expensive. If weight isn't that relevant to you, might as well look at the ENVE Foundation 45... If you want to use the wheels for on and off-road riding, 3.4 AR might be the better choice.
From my experience with the RSL37, they are pretty good. Basically no steering moment through wind, holds speed okay (as good as a super shallow can hold speed), very light and looks super subtle (so I would gladly use them on a non-TREK bike).
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

JayOJonson

by JayOJonson

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:10 am
I just wouldn't really advice getting the ENVE SES 3.4 in the first place, unless you get a mad deal.
They aren't really light (over 1400g), look a little dated and are still super expensive. If weight isn't that relevant to you, might as well look at the ENVE Foundation 45... If you want to use the wheels for on and off-road riding, 3.4 AR might be the better choice.
From my experience with the RSL37, they are pretty good. Basically no steering moment through wind, holds speed okay (as good as a super shallow can hold speed), very light and looks super subtle (so I would gladly use them on a non-TREK bike).
Thanks, i went with the RSL's in the end, I managed to get them with a 22% discount.
Do you know if the supplied rim tape is any good for tubeless?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

Mine came installed with the TLR rim strip (white). I did not get any rim tape, but given that Trek pushes their TLR strip, would think that any tape supplied tape is not meant for tubeless. FWIW, the TLR strip is much heavier than tubeless tape-I had the LBS remove the strip and taped it with Schwalbe tubeless 23mm tape and, based on a recommendation form another WW member, replaced the stock tubeless valves with Stan's valves, as the base of the stock valve is contoured to work with the TLR strip. One of the wheels took a few days to hold air, but no issues with the tubeless setup since then with either wheel using Conti 5K TL tires.