New Bontrager Aeolus RSL/ Pro 37

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

Raimundo wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:11 am
...I don't remenber stating i didn't liked Orange Seal... They all have their quirks.

And i dont think inquiring a direct personal view is for the search function... unless you're already on NeuraLink.

And please don't go ahead and uncorrectly interpret what i wrote. I wasn't attacking you so no need to get defensive/triggered. I my Planet asking other people opinions is actually a sign of recognition... But it soons fade away if the feedback is of this sort.
Don't bother. The guy honestly berates everyone not agreeing with him all over the forum. Not worth paying attention to.

In my experience Bontrager sealant works very well but every tire seems to have different requirements. I've used Orange Seal & Bontrager sealant with great succes over differing tires, but they just will not work on my Vittoria Corsa Speeds(2.0) on my TT-bike, whereas Stan's sealant works perfectly on them. If something works for you stick with it.

Coopy112

by Coopy112

Hi guys,

https://www.instagram.com/p/COoAEhGrxcy ... 0q73zcic73

Last weekend I did the tubeless set up on my Aeolus Pro 37. Thanks to some suggestions on this topic I made the set up complete and it all worked out very well!

The first two of three hours some pressure leaked on the side (where the rims meets the tire). Little dots of sealant came out. But after all it sealed well, and my first ride was a succes!
Check out the link above for the set up I chose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Looking good. It’s nice to see the tape working. What size tires are those? 28? I’ve been on the 37v for about 3 weeks now running 32 mm wide tires with the bontrager rim strips. Everything is working great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Coopy112 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:16 am
Hi guys,

https://www.instagram.com/p/COoAEhGrxcy ... 0q73zcic73

Last weekend I did the tubeless set up on my Aeolus Pro 37. Thanks to some suggestions on this topic I made the set up complete and it all worked out very well!

The first two of three hours some pressure leaked on the side (where the rims meets the tire). Little dots of sealant came out. But after all it sealed well, and my first ride was a succes!
Check out the link above for the set up I chose.

It should take seconds, not hours for slow leaks to seal after installation. You just shake your wheel/tire combo while rotating it slowly...or spin it then gyrate it horizontally on both sides.

For next time.

1) Just buy poly tape to use as rim tape. I use either 3M 8992 or the generic equivalent commonly known as "green powder coat masking tape."
2) Buy tape that is ~5mm wider than the internal width of your rim. If you have a 19-21mm rim, use 25mm wide tape. Having the tape ride up the side of rim is preferable to having incomplete coverage. You will get a better seal between the bead and rim sidewall.
3) Orange Seal. Can't repeat this enough. If you can't get it locally, it's worth getting it shipped from afar.

_scott_

by _scott_

cycleboyco wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:46 pm
Mine came installed with the TLR rim strip (white). I did not get any rim tape, but given that Trek pushes their TLR strip, would think that any tape supplied tape is not meant for tubeless. FWIW, the TLR strip is much heavier than tubeless tape-I had the LBS remove the strip and taped it with Schwalbe tubeless 23mm tape and, based on a recommendation form another WW member, replaced the stock tubeless valves with Stan's valves, as the base of the stock valve is contoured to work with the TLR strip. One of the wheels took a few days to hold air, but no issues with the tubeless setup since then with either wheel using Conti 5K TL tires.
What tire size are you using? Wondering if the new Gp5000s in 25 will be compatible..

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

_scott_ wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:10 pm
cycleboyco wrote:
Mine came installed with the TLR rim strip (white). I did not get any rim tape, but given that Trek pushes their TLR strip, would think that any tape supplied tape is not meant for tubeless. FWIW, the TLR strip is much heavier than tubeless tape-I had the LBS remove the strip and taped it with Schwalbe tubeless 23mm tape and, based on a recommendation form another WW member, replaced the stock tubeless valves with Stan's valves, as the base of the stock valve is contoured to work with the TLR strip. One of the wheels took a few days to hold air, but no issues with the tubeless setup since then with either wheel using Conti 5K TL tires.
What tire size are you using? Wondering if the new Gp5000s in 25 will be compatible..
25mm GP5000 TL, obviously not the TR that just came out if that is what you are referring to with the "new" GP5000S. Sounds like the new TR may be easier to mount and should be more compatible with hookless rims, which doesn't apply to the RSL 37. Still really like the 5000 TL and no issues with them and they are easier to mount/dismount subsequent to the initial installation.

_scott_

by _scott_

cycleboyco wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:56 pm
_scott_ wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:10 pm
cycleboyco wrote:
25mm GP5000 TL, obviously not the TR that just came out if that is what you are referring to with the "new" GP5000S. Sounds like the new TR may be easier to mount and should be more compatible with hookless rims, which doesn't apply to the RSL 37. Still really like the 5000 TL and no issues with them and they are easier to mount/dismount subsequent to the initial installation.
I have the Bontrager RSL 51 and with 23mm inner width, accordingly to Continental chart, 25mm tubeless isn't compatible. The Trek dealer says it works just fine. Who is right? This new standards pushing everyone for 28mm and 30mm tires just don't make any sense when you have nice roads in your area.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:13 am
1) Just buy poly tape to use as rim tape. I use either 3M 8992 or the generic equivalent commonly known as "green powder coat masking tape."
2) Buy tape that is ~5mm wider than the internal width of your rim. If you have a 19-21mm rim, use 25mm wide tape. Having the tape ride up the side of rim is preferable to having incomplete coverage. You will get a better seal between the bead and rim sidewall.
3) Orange Seal. Can't repeat this enough. If you can't get it locally, it's worth getting it shipped from afar.
Or if you buy Stans you can better go for the race sealant with more and larger sealing crystals.
+1 on the wider tape.

mikedtn

by mikedtn

For purely road use at present, would I be best going for RSL 37 or RSL 37V?

From reading online it seems the only downside to 37V is not being able to run less than 28mm tyres.

yingyu

by yingyu

mikedtn wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:18 pm
For purely road use at present, would I be best going for RSL 37 or RSL 37V?

From reading online it seems the only downside to 37V is not being able to run less than 28mm tyres.
I guess it's about racing vs endurance ride feel. RSL 37 with 25c tire would likely feel more responsive than RSL 37 V with 28c tire.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Can any RSL51 owners / riders comment on the crosswind stability claims? We get a lot of swirling high speed wind round here, 51mm is normally a bit deeper than I prefer but the rim dimensions (31/23mm) of the 51 appeal more than the 37s.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Nohands83 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:48 am
Can any RSL51 owners / riders comment on the crosswind stability claims? We get a lot of swirling high speed wind round here, 51mm is normally a bit deeper than I prefer but the rim dimensions (31/23mm) of the 51 appeal more than the 37s.
I'm in the low 60s kg range and have no issues with 54/63mm front/rear in almost daily gusty/windy conditions. I'd only use something like RSL 37s for solo training or very hilly races.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Bonts new RSL wheels are super stable. Have fitted some 51s to an SL7 and the owner loves them.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Thanks but I'm specifically looking for feedback on the RSL range - your 54/63 combo doesn't sound like them.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Thanks, the rim profile does look like they should be.
Tempted to pick a pair of the 51s first, see how I get on a potentially a 37 front for super windy days and climbing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com