Veloflex Servizio Corse: best tubular tyre?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pumpster

by Pumpster

I recently bought a pair of Veloflex Servizio Corse tubs to replace my worn out 25mm FMB Service Course ones. I pumped them up to 105 psi front and rear, like the FMBs. The ride quality is sublime, it's unlike anything I've ridden before. They are extremely supple thanks to their 350tpi casing,have a very low RR, provide extraordinary grip and their puncture protection is very good, unlike the FMBs. Thus, I consider them the best all-round tubulars.

Has anyone tried these tyres? I'd like to hear others' experiences too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms82

by ms82

I did a first ride on them yesterday (just on the front, back is Arenberg). But it was my first ride on tubs too. I was expecting I'll be worried on downhills (new bike, new to tubs) but I was actually much more confident. The ride was great too but can't compare to other tubs, obviously.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Excited to try these as I think they are Veloflex's first tyre with a new rubber compound.

Yours is a timely post as Veloflex have just renamed and reorganised their whole range.
There are now Evo (320tpi) and Race (350tpi) options in black and gum for tubs, clinchers and tubeless.

Pumpster

by Pumpster

petromyzon wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:01 pm
Yours is a timely post as Veloflex have just renamed and reorganised their whole range.
There are now Evo (320tpi) and Race (350tpi) options in black and gum for tubs, clinchers and tubeless.
Indeed. I still do not understand why they did this, since their older range offered a variety of options, e.g. the choice of 22mm width instead of the standard 23/25/28. I'd advise against buying the new ones, as you can get the older models cheaper.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Hmm. I haven't seen 22mm on their website for several years now, and popular opinion seems to be that they just relabelled the 22mm and 24mm to be 23 and 25 without changing the size of the casings.

The general purpose road race tyres, both clinchers and tubulars, are not competitive in terms of rolling resistance with similar tyres from other brands. Hopefully the new compound will change this as otherwise they have a beautiful product.

I think MatosVelo tested the 350tpi tubs as very fast so I would definitely buy the Servizio Corse or Service Course if offered at a discount. I wouldn't buy the older tyres as there are better options.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

There was a thread here last year, several happy early users. I kept wanted to order some but the slow Corsa 2.0s i have now refuse to die.

The interesting bit is that the updated tires are now heavier, 280 for the 25 tour race and 295 for the regular tour. The Service was listed at only 265 and i tend to believe 280 is not simply a more realistic number but a thicknening of something. They updated the performance chart as well, race has half point less than service for lightness and performance, but the durability, puncture and comfort levels are not changed.

Perhaps in use it proved to be too fragile. Myself would still try to order while stocks last and use it at least for the front wheel. The 320tpi with its extra durability (at least according to the chart) should be better on the back and a nice upgrade over the Arenberg

ms82

by ms82

@pumpster: Where you can get the old ones cheaper? Bike24 has them for 65, 71 respectively. You can get the new ones from Veloflex with 10% discount for subscription even cheaper.

@Alexandrumarian: This is what I did. Service Course on the front and Arenberg on the rear wheel. And I too have noticed the slight change in weight in Pro Race compared to Service Course. I think you are right that it is updated version.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I asked Veloflex on instagram and they said race has a wider thread now - some people complained the SC side walls were damaged by rocks etc

Pumpster

by Pumpster

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:29 pm
The 320tpi with its extra durability (at least according to the chart) should be better on the back and a nice upgrade over the Arenberg
Actually, it's 350tpi :wink:

LouisN

by LouisN

Pumpster wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 am
I recently bought a pair of Veloflex Servizio Corse tubs to replace my worn out 25mm FMB Service Course ones. I pumped them up to 105 psi front and rear, like the FMBs. The ride quality is sublime, it's unlike anything I've ridden before. They are extremely supple thanks to their 350tpi casing,have a very low RR, provide extraordinary grip and their puncture protection is very good, unlike the FMBs. Thus, I consider them the best all-round tubulars.

Has anyone tried these tyres? I'd like to hear others' experiences too.
I don't know about punture resistance (yet), but I like them a lot.
I haven't used them for many km's but I lent my wheels to my son-in-law who did approx. 1000 km's on the wheels last summer, on various conditions (among them Yorkshire Words), and mostly hard race, in wet conditions. He loved them !!
I ordered a pair of Pro Tour this week and curious to compare both. From what I read, the Pro Tour will be a more durable version, with thicker or harder "compound" rolling surface (not natural rubber) and 320 tpi instead of 350 tpi.

Louis :)

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I just ordered a set of the Pro Tour tires for around $65/ea directly from Veloflex.
I'm kind of saddended the Vlaanderen tire is no longer, and hopeful the Pro Tour offers some of the same durablity.
I've gone through a few sets of Vlaanderen tires, purely from mileage and not punctures. I don't know what Veloflex uses, but the Vlaanderen is leagues above anything else I've ridden with puncture protection.

I recently purchased another set of Specialized hell of the north tubular. Those are amazing tires and swapping back to my climbing wheels with Vlaanderen's glued on, I then realized how much more supple the Veloflex tires are compared to others. I think the specialized tires are faster, but the plush feel of the Vlaanderen gives me more confidence to go faster. Like how riding a stiff frame may be faster, but a plush bike begs you for more effort because of the comfort.

Let's see how long these tires take for delivery. If DHL gets them here (LA, CA) really fast, I'll be buying direct from Veloflex. I can't see a better price anywhere online!
Last edited by Denavelo on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

elfuinha

by elfuinha

i've hadne't mutch luck with Veloflex...

from the 4un ive bought of the service course:

1un - Had a big Flat with only 18km on the Tubular - not Veloflex fault, ended seald it with Notubes.

2un - that have about 1000km on eatch of them, have a blister, tha i believe is a broken tread.

send a message to Veloflex on Facebook, but will send a email, to see if they warranty it.

Pics below of one of the units:
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Also i'm in need of 2 tubulars, to replace this ones, but i'm having doubts as the durability in my particular case is to mutch bellow the expected life of a Tubular.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I need to ditch the Vittoria Rally's for some decent singles, these look nice!

Pumpster

by Pumpster

I used to have a pair of Vlaanderens on my commuter. Indeed the puncture protection is amazing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com