Veloflex enters the tubeless market

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Singular wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:24 am

There you have it - a classic sidewall cut which is nothing unusual with very thin/supple cotton/silk casing tires when riding somewhere they're not supposed to go (like sharp shardy gravel). I do also assume that the stress on a single point is also more prounced when riding tubeless (as there is no tube to spread the load over the sidewall), which means that failure is accelerated when a point of damage occurs.

That doesn’t explain the constant radius circumferential abrasion/wear along the sidewalls. That kind of damage is from sidewall collapse/folding.

Maddie

by Maddie

That tire looks fairly beaten up. I ride both Corsa Evo TLR and Race TLR in rain, sometimes gravel. Always 6.0 bar front and 6.5 rear (67 kg) and never had a flat. I'm actually surprised how durable they are considering the comfort and subtle feel they deliver. Was riding Turbo Cottons with latex before but wanted to go tubeless. I think that's the closest to the TC/latex you can get. Definitely a fan of Veloflex TLR, just need to be careful to replenish sealant regularly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Maddie wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:02 pm
Always 6.0 bar front and 6.5 rear (67 kg)
Way too much pressure IMO

Maddie

by Maddie

What's your recommendation then?

gigo91

by gigo91

Is anybody running the Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR 28mm on a new Zipp 303 Firecrest or on a similar rim with 25mm internal width?
Veloflex support is refering to this blog: https://www.veloflex.it/en/blog/post/ro ... s-coupling

According to this, the setup is not officially supported by Veloflex.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gigo91 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:13 pm
Is anybody running the Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR 28mm on a new Zipp 303 Firecrest or on a similar rim with 25mm internal width?
Veloflex support is refering to this blog: https://www.veloflex.it/en/blog/post/ro ... s-coupling

I’ll just say that my tires were scarily loose when I took them off my hooked rims.

hannawald

by hannawald

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:44 pm
gigo91 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:13 pm

I’ll just say that my tires were scarily loose when I took them off my hooked rims.
+1

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ETRTO is there for a reason. Just because it is possible to do something doesn’t mean it’s safe. Just because someone has managed to get away with a particular combination that is not recommended doesn’t mean it will be safe all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gigo91

by gigo91

ETRTO don't even mention 25c wheels for hookless. Zipp, Enve are saying that I can run 27-28 mm tubeless tires on their 25c wheels.
So I, as a customer, don't get it. Are the ETRTO regulations outdated? I can't imagine that Zipp or Enve are giving a green light for something, which don't work... Or has andybody other experiences?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gigo91 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:36 pm
ETRTO don't even mention 25c wheels for hookless. Zipp, Enve are saying that I can run 27-28 mm tubeless tires on their 25c wheels.
So I, as a customer, don't get it. Are the ETRTO regulations outdated? I can't imagine that Zipp or Enve are giving a green light for something, which don't work... Or has andybody other experiences?

Sort of outdated. ETRTO standards up until now have not included tubeless bicycle tires, and thus the specifications for straight-sided or crotchet-style rims were officially meant for tubed clinchers only.

nafaiutb

by nafaiutb

gigo91 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:36 pm
As for Enve selling things that don't work, just think back to their rims that cut tyre sidewalls, which they tried to blame on the tyre manufacturers. I certainly wouldn't buy their products, nor accept their "green light" that something was safe.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

nafaiutb wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:56 am
As for Enve selling things that don't work, just think back to their rims that cut tyre sidewalls, which they tried to blame on the tyre manufacturers. I certainly wouldn't buy their products, nor accept their "green light" that something was safe.

Uh, it mostly is the clincher tire’s fault, while the rim can contribute as well. The most common cotton clincher + rim failure on this very forum seems to be with Campagnolo Boras, for example.

Pierre86

by Pierre86

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:56 am
nafaiutb wrote:

Uh, it mostly is the clincher tire’s fault, while the rim can contribute as well. The most common cotton clincher + rim failure on this very forum seems to be with Campagnolo Boras, for example.
Yep
Veloflex even specifically released a set of tires to address this issue, they used to not recommend their tyres for carbon clinchers specifically
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

TobinHatesYou wrote:
nafaiutb wrote:

Really?? We have a salesperson who has been speccing Vittoria open tubulars on Bora clinchers for years. If this was a real issue we’d have seen warranty returns galore. But we’ve not had so much as one in 10 years plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:51 am

Really?? We have a salesperson who has been speccing Vittoria open tubulars on Bora clinchers for years. If this was a real issue we’d have seen warranty returns galore. But we’ve not had so much as one in 10 years plus.

We've had a couple threads on the matter here. One is hidden in an ENVE topic and I'm pretty sure you replied to it. Another very contentious thread involved a pair of WTO 60s. That's not a large sample size, but it's larger than that of ENVE rims on this board. Furthermore, Veloflex and others are making reinforced cotton clincher tires now, so they admit it's a problem. Seems reasonable to point out that the onus is primarily on the tire brands to make less shitty cotton clinchers when this simply is not a problem with vulcanized tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com