Veloflex enters the tubeless market

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

TobinHatesYou wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:51 am

Really?? We have a salesperson who has been speccing Vittoria open tubulars on Bora clinchers for years. If this was a real issue we’d have seen warranty returns galore. But we’ve not had so much as one in 10 years plus.

We've had a couple threads on the matter here. One is hidden in an ENVE topic and I'm pretty sure you replied to it. Another was a pair of WTO 60s. Either way, we've had more anecdotes with Boras than ENVE SES rims. Veloflex and other manufacturers are making reinforced cotton clincher tires now, are they not? Seems reasonable to point out that the onus is primarily on the tire brands to make less shitty tires.
Enve I’ll give you. That is down to their inability to produce a rim hook that is properly radiused. Campag I have to disagree. We sell a fair few Bora equipped bikes mostly with Open Corsa G tyres. Prior to that they were specced with the predecessors, CX, Pave & Corsa SC. I both purchase from Vittoria and sort warranty returns. We have had zero issues related to sidewalls being damaged by Bora rims. Not one. Neither company has advised caution with the other company’s product being incompatible. Same goes for Mavic. Challenge & Veloflex had an issue with Enve in particular when Enve tried putting the onus on them and pointed out the flaw in Enve’s product. To suggest that tyres that have been fine on a myriad of rims for years are shitty because an newer rim material’s features aren’t the same as the rims they were designed for is being obtuse. Vittoria have not reinforced their casing nor have any others. They’ve brought out new tyres but their older ranges were mainly from the high pressure & narrow rim era, so needed replacing for very different reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlgaeHater

by AlgaeHater

I think I'm done with these tires. I've been running Veloflex tubeless for several months now and love how grippy and supple they are. However, they DRINK sealant and I find myself having to refill every 30 days or so. I had a ride today and flatted in the rear and was surprised to see all of the sealant had dried up. Had to call the wifey to pick me up :(

Only consider these tires if you're willing to stay 100% on top of sealant maintenance.
2019 S-Works Venge Di2
2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4 eTap
2019 BMC Timemachine Road 01 Di2
2018 BMC Roadmachine 02 Di2
2018 S-Works CruX 1X Di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AlgaeHater wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:22 am
I think I'm done with these tires. I've been running Veloflex tubeless for several months now and love how grippy and supple they are. However, they DRINK sealant and I find myself having to refill every 30 days or so. I had a ride today and flatted in the rear and was surprised to see all of the sealant had dried up. Had to call the wifey to pick me up :(

Only consider these tires if you're willing to stay 100% on top of sealant maintenance.

They aren’t even that supple. That butyl strip glued down the center of the casing makes the ride-feel horrible IMO. Worse than Corsa G2.0s in almost every respect...not as grippy, not as supple, sidewalls not as durable, the tread compound wears faster, etc. They definitely aren’t as “supple” as 2020 Pro Ones.

On top of that, the bead stretched so much in just 500mi, I could remove them from the rim by hand with literally zero effort. That was quite scary to see.

wltz

by wltz

AlgaeHater wrote:

I always carry a 30ml bottle with a long narrow nozzle filled with Orange Seal + a plastic valve core remover just for that sort of scenario. Never needed one myself yet, but was able to boot up my tubeless riding mates a couple times far away from home.

Wattsofhair

by Wattsofhair

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:21 pm
Finally got my hubs sorted for Shimano 11.

Tyres on 19C Mavic Open Pro UST rims measure a whisker over 25mm. Ride feel at 6.6 Bar was as close to old tubs as anything I’ve ridden in a long time.
Oh, and as a system they are lighter than my Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL UST wheels by 150g. Not bad for an alloy rim wheelset.

Beautiful bike man, theres really nothin better than color matched stems.

I love my Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR 28mm. I run them on my Cadex42 wheelset (hookless) at 5.5-5.8bar (wet+dry) and weight 79kg. Ive ridden basically every major tire out (GP5k, Vittoria g.20/speed,SchwalbeTT,CadexRace...) and nothin rides smoother or has beter road feel than Veloflex. They measure wide and have grip for days, rain or shine. Puncture protection seems great,I have yet to have a puncture.

You just cant beat that classic italian gummie look.

I somehow got a tear on my rear sidewall, ive been kinda dumb and have ridden at least 250 miles like this (alot on the trainer) . While the tear has slowly gotten larger over the past few weeks it hasnt caused any problems. no leaks and it hasnt expoded on me yet.

I was planning on replacing them with Schwalbe Pro One TT for weight weenie reasons but im going to keep using them on my trainer, im curious to see how long they will last. I want to try the Veloflex Race next, maybe those will go on my Cadex65s
2020 Giant TCR Advanced SL (6.98g w/Cadex42/65)
6.8kg TCR build
2000 Klein Quantum 8.4kg (w/ spinergy)
I just wanna go fast

IG: @wattsofhair

George46GR

by George46GR

Wattsofhair wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:08 pm
ultimobici wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:21 pm
Finally got my hubs sorted for Shimano 11.

Tyres on 19C Mavic Open Pro UST rims measure a whisker over 25mm. Ride feel at 6.6 Bar was as close to old tubs as anything I’ve ridden in a long time.
Oh, and as a system they are lighter than my Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL UST wheels by 150g. Not bad for an alloy rim wheelset.

Beautiful bike man, theres really nothin better than color matched stems.

I love my Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR 28mm. I run them on my Cadex42 wheelset (hookless) at 5.5-5.8bar (wet+dry) and weight 79kg. Ive ridden basically every major tire out (GP5k, Vittoria g.20/speed,SchwalbeTT,CadexRace...) and nothin rides smoother or has beter road feel than Veloflex. They measure wide and have grip for days, rain or shine. Puncture protection seems great,I have yet to have a puncture.

You just cant beat that classic italian gummie look.

I somehow got a tear on my rear sidewall, ive been kinda dumb and have ridden at least 250 miles like this (alot on the trainer) . While the tear has slowly gotten larger over the past few weeks it hasnt caused any problems. no leaks and it hasnt expoded on me yet.

I was planning on replacing them with Schwalbe Pro One TT for weight weenie reasons but im going to keep using them on my trainer, im curious to see how long they will last. I want to try the Veloflex Race next, maybe those will go on my Cadex65s
I had the same issue with you (CORSA RACE TLR) when I passed on a road with some light gravel. After some days, they suddenly exploded while I was pumping them up. Be careful on the road, always keep a spare inner tube with you.

Yet, they indeed look fandastic on my 48mm carbon wheels. Unfortunately, their side walls are very very sensitive and fragile. In my opinion, the Schwalbe PRO ONE offer a much more smooth ride. They significantly filter the road buzz. My next try will be the Vittoria Corsa Speed, just to see if they roll that fast...
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

Wattsofhair

by Wattsofhair

I had the same issue with you (CORSA RACE TLR) when I passed on a road with some light gravel. After some days, they suddenly exploded while I was pumping them up. Be careful on the road, always keep a spare inner tube with you.

Yet, they indeed look fandastic on my 48mm carbon wheels. Unfortunately, their side walls are very very sensitive and fragile. In my opinion, the Schwalbe PRO ONE offer a much more smooth ride. They significantly filter the road buzz. My next try will be the Vittoria Corsa Speed, just to see if they roll that fast...
Thats sad to hear, i had such high hopes for Veloflex. I am liking these schwalbe pro one TT very much.
Just got my Cadex 65 and the Schwalbes mounted just as easily as the Cadex tires do, i mounted them with no sealant right in my living room. Ive needed a compressor to mount literally every tire ive put on these Cadex wheelsets due to the hookless beads. The Veloflex would still seap sealant thru the bead even after the bead "seated". Im pretty sure Veloflex are not on Cadex approved list.

I have had the rear tire pop off the bead on me while cornering at a decent speed. was not a fun day.

Im still riding on these wheels, they look worse than it was. A little bit of sand paper and clear nail polish and youd never

Im not 100% on the exact cause of the tire unseating itself. I think i may have picked up an unoticed leak and probably cornered with the tire pressure too low. I think this is what Veloflex meant when it said "use hookless at your own perril" :noidea:
6.8kg TCR build
I just wanna go fast

djel

by djel

I bought a pair of Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR to mount on my EIE Carbon AR25TC25 wheels. The rims have no holes and I didn't use rim tape. I used the Muc-off tubeless valves.

I didn't have that much of a hard time to mount the tires, but I had to use a CO2 cartridge as my floor pump was not enough to pop the beads in place. I used Continental Revo latex-free sealant that I had on hand even though I didn't have the best experience when used in my GP5k TL 28.

The issue I have is that, when initially pumped to 100-120 psi (just to test if they can hold it), the tires become flat in a day or so. I haven't taken the bike out on the road yet as it's winter here in Montreal; the wheelset is just sitting in my living room. It seems excessive when I compare to the experience, I had with Veloflex cotton casings clinchers a few years back.

There's no apparent leak i.e. I don't see sealant leaking out nor hear air leaking. It must be a slow leak, but with my limited experience with a tubeless set-up, I don't know what else to do to troubleshoot the leak.

I have a bottle of Orange sealant, which is latex based (recommended by Veloflex); should I just add more, shake the wheels, and see if it works?

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

check your valve. if you dont have sealant leaking from the beads on a no-hole rim, then it is most likely a loose valve.

Maddie

by Maddie

Unfortunately that's normal with Veloflex tlr at the beginning. They drink sealant like crazy. Add sealant but also move the wheels daily.

heliuscc

by heliuscc

AlgaeHater wrote:

Glad it's not just me, I've had same experience and eventually gave up. Turbo rapidair stay up for months, no neee to add air, and they're not any different feel wise.

Etienne

by Etienne

Wattsofhair wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:46 am
Im not 100% on the exact cause of the tire unseating itself. I think i may have picked up an unoticed leak and probably cornered with the tire pressure too low. I think this is what Veloflex meant when it said "use hookless at your own perril" :noidea:
Veloflex published an article about rim width and tire size on their blog ... https://www.veloflex.it/en/blog/post/ro ... s-coupling

It's probably difficult to build a tire that can accomodate a very large array of rim's internal width and Veloflex visibly prefered staying in the ETRTO standard than exploring the "every day wider" trend.

So I guess your 22mm internal width rim is simply too wide for the construction of the Veloflex tires ...

Wattsofhair

by Wattsofhair

Etienne wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:34 am
Wattsofhair wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:46 am
Veloflex published an article about rim width and tire size on their blog ... https://www.veloflex.it/en/blog/post/ro ... s-coupling

It's probably difficult to build a tire that can accomodate a very large array of rim's internal width and Veloflex visibly prefered staying in the ETRTO standard than exploring the "every day wider" trend.

So I guess your 22mm internal width rim is simply too wide for the construction of the Veloflex tires ...
The cadex42 were actally on at the time and theyre only 19mm internal width which still may be too wide
6.8kg TCR build
I just wanna go fast

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BRR posted their test of the Corsa Race and it’s abundantly clear their puncture resistance protocol is completely inapplicable to real-world scenarios.

djel

by djel

cloud9blue wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:06 pm
check your valve. if you dont have sealant leaking from the beads on a no-hole rim, then it is most likely a loose valve.
I changed the valve on one wheel, but the valve looked seated nicely. I added up more sealant and used Orange instead of the Continental I used initially. It's been 48 hours and both wheels are still perfectly well inflated :thumbup: looks like that Continental sealant is not great...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com