Veloflex enters the tubeless market

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
George46GR

by George46GR

You were right, the rear tyre was almost dry. I added 30 ml of Joe's No Flats - Super Sealant and pump it up again. Lets wait and see.....
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

George46GR

by George46GR

Unfortunately, the tyre didn't make it. After I added the sealant, I managed to pump it up to 60 psi. But as I was pumping it a bit more to 90 psi for my ride, a bulge on the sidewall explode and..... RIP veloflex....

I suppose I cannot fix it... right?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

George46GR wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:55 pm
Unfortunately, the tyre didn't make it. After I added the sealant, I managed to pump it up to 60 psi. But as I was pumping it a bit more to 90 psi for my ride, a bulge on the sidewall explode and..... RIP veloflex....

Wow. Have you got photos pre and post explosion? One of my Veloflexes had the top layer of cotton cut and that section immediately started to "stretch" ever so slightly. Glad I binned the tire. Also I've said it recently, but I'm pretty much done with cotton tubeless...vulcanized only for me from now on. You just reinforced that personal decision.

sychen

by sychen

George46GR wrote:Unfortunately, the tyre didn't make it. After I added the sealant, I managed to pump it up to 60 psi. But as I was pumping it a bit more to 90 psi for my ride, a bulge on the sidewall explode and..... RIP veloflex....

You didn't mention a bulge in your first post on this issue.. Wouldn't ride any tyre with a bulge in the sidewall. Immediate binning.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I tend to look at the tyre in profile if there is any damage. Any bulging or deviation from the expected shape = bin. Cuts that don't cause a bulge at riding pressure = continue.

Agree with Tobin - at this point, for me, the traditionally constructed tyres aren't providing the best tubeless performance. I've tried Compass and Vittoria and I'm not inclined to try Veloflex. I used to be of the opinion that I'd tolerate a thirsty tyre in order to have the best speed and feeling but as I use tubeless for poor roads/off road the fully vulcanised technologies are just better.

George46GR

by George46GR

I will post some photos tomorrow taken under sunlight. Are the Hutchinsons Fusion 5 Performance/Galactics 11storm cotton tubeless or vulcanized ?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

George46GR wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:53 pm
I will post some photos tomorrow taken under sunlight. Are the Hutchinsons Fusion 5 Performance/Galactics 11storm cotton tubeless or vulcanized ?

Vulcanized.

George46GR

by George46GR

Here are some pics: One bulge on my front tyre (should I bin it also?) and some of the bined rear tyre (it had some reaaly tough last 200 km).
Attachments
sw_bulge.jpg
sw_df_01.jpg
sw_df_02.jpg

George46GR

by George46GR

one more.. What a pity, the tread is almost new....
Attachments
sw_df_03.jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You have sidewall wear/abrasion along the entire circumference of your tires. Do you know how that happened? That's also significant tread wear down the center for a tire you've described as new. Do you lock up your rear a lot when braking?

easyv

by easyv

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 am
You have sidewall wear/abrasion along the entire circumference of your tires. Do you know how that happened? That's also significant tread wear down the center for a tire you've described as new. Do you lock up your rear a lot when braking?
Was going to make the same observation... If that happened as a result of normal riding, then looks like the Veloflex sidewalls just aren't very durable. On the other hand, if you happened to scrub a curb, well, the sidewalls are cotton after all....

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

easyv wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:58 pm

Was going to make the same observation... If that happened as a result of normal riding, then looks like the Veloflex sidewalls just aren't very durable. On the other hand, if you happened to scrub a curb, well, the sidewalls are cotton after all....

It's on both sides of the tire, so I'm less inclined to think he scraped a curb than rode the tires while severe underinflated.

ichobi

by ichobi

Those tires in the picture are more roughed up than my 2 years old Vittoria Corsa cotton. Granted i don't ride on corased road, but those things look well beaten up.

George46GR

by George46GR

Underinflated ?? NO WAY. I mean that I always check my pressure before and after my ride. I had never a pressure drop. In any case, I feel very quickly a pressure drop when it happens.

Locked up my rear wheel when braking? ONLY ONCE for some mili-seconds. I might be heavy enough but I do not brake my wheels.

During one of my rides, I had to pass through some serious gravel. During another one, I had to ride over very damaged tarmac with gravel and cinent.

I tend to conclude that they are very very delicate. Super light, super gripy, super cornering, roll relatively fast, but very very delicate. I also love the way the look, and have to admit that they are my very first attempt on tubeless tyres. I have to look somewhere else now.

Thanks everyone of you for freely posting your thinking and comments !!!

Singular

by Singular

George46GR wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:09 am

During one of my rides, I had to pass through some serious gravel. During another one, I had to ride over very damaged tarmac with gravel and cinent.
There you have it - a classic sidewall cut which is nothing unusual with very thin/supple cotton/silk casing tires when riding somewhere they're not supposed to go (like sharp shardy gravel). I do also assume that the stress on a single point is also more prounced when riding tubeless (as there is no tube to spread the load over the sidewall), which means that failure is accelerated when a point of damage occurs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com