Do You Run Tubeless AND Carry a Spare Tube?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do You Run Tubeless and Carry a Spare Tube?

I run with scissors... I run tubeless and don't carry a spare tube.
30%
I listen to Safety Pup... I run tubeless and carry a spare tube.
70%

Total votes: 96

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Having recently installed a pair of Continental GP5000 tubeless tires which sealed so tight that I didn't even need to use any sealant to get them to hold air, I began wondering if it really makes any sense to carry a spare tube with me on rides. In the 25+ years I've been riding, the vast majority of flats I've had were either from pinch-flats or tiny thorns that popped the tube... both of which should be easily sealed by tubeless sealant. While I can't predict the future, I've never had a catastrophic tire failure where something ripped a big gash in my tire. Heck, even if that did happen, would a new tube have been helpful? A big hole in a damaged tire wouldn't work well with a tube as the tube would want to press through the hole.

Therefore, does it really make sense to carry a spare tube when running tubeless? It seems to me like tubeless is kind of an "all or nothing" proposition... it's either going to work as intended or you're going to be calling someone to come pick you up because the tire damage is so bad that no road-side repair is going to help.

Thoughts? What do you do... do you run tubeless and carry a spare tube "just in case"?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yes I carry one tube and a boot JIC
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justonwo

by justonwo

I always carry a tube. I don't want to get stranded miles from home. Tubeless work fine, but they aren't perfect. One of my Conti GP5000s got a hole that was too big for the sealant to fill in. At a minimum, you should carry something that allows you to seal off the tire should it get a hole (tubeless repair kit).
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:37 pm
What's a "boot"? :?: I'm in the USA... a boot is a heavy-duty shoe. :D
justonwo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:53 pm
(tubeless repair kit).
Suggestions welcome for a good tubeless repair kit. Are you talking about the tire plugs that are becoming popular these days?

bespoke

by bespoke

I carried a tube for 2yrs, then tried to take off a GP5000TL in the comfort of my own home and realised I was never ever doing this in the field
I would be quicker walking home than spending 90 mins crying by the road
You may be more mechanically competetent than me....
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

RUNTHAT

by RUNTHAT

I run sealant in my Contis for the little stuff, and also carry a small tire plug kit in my pocket.

Dynaplug Racer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RbqVRiTNVE

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Yes. Always carry spares so you can get home.
Ride fast Take chances

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:03 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:37 pm
What's a "boot"? :?: I'm in the USA... a boot is a heavy-duty shoe. :D
justonwo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:53 pm
(tubeless repair kit).
Suggestions welcome for a good tubeless repair kit. Are you talking about the tire plugs that are becoming popular these days?

I big sticker basically
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Orlok

by Orlok

Because you ride with two tubeless tires I've always two spare tubes with me.!
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

AJS914

by AJS914

A big hole in a damaged tire wouldn't work well with a tube as the tube would want to press through the hole.
A tire boot is anything that you put between the slash in your tire and the tube. A folded dollar bill can be a temporary solution. Personally I carry an old piece of tire casing that I cut out of an old tire.

I just carry everything - tube, tubeless repair kit, boot, patch kit, mini tool, tire levers, etc.

I think in the end it depends on what your bail out plan is. If someone is always at home that you could call then you could live more dangerously and not worry about that once in 20 years problem. Or, maybe you try to rely on an Uber XL.

BTW, I just have my first unsealable flat on my gravel bike. There was a giant mesquite thorn in the tire (holding air). I figured I'd pull it out and it would seal since it was just a thorn. It didn't seal. I used a plug for the first time. A couple of lessons learned. Don't let all the sealant leak out. Don't pull a thorn out if you aren't ready to plug on the spot. Also, need to get the skinniest plugs.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Two tubes. Pump. Jumbo co2. Tire boots. Full nine yards.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Kind of interesting in that this is the "Weight Weenies Forum", yet it sounds like most of us carry 800 pounds of tire repair gear which totally eclipses all the money we spend on low-weight bike parts. :mrgreen:

Calling Uber is an interesting emergency plan!
Last edited by PoorInRichfield on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Sad but true. My saddle bag weighs like 900 grams. I carry the same loadout on my road bike that i do for downieville mtb lol.

kode54

by kode54

No tubes for me. Although I carry one on century rides...or anything over 80 miles just in case.

I carry a boot in my wallet case...but I've only used it with other riders that get a blow out so far. I'm the only one that usually carries one. I do carry a small tube of Orange Seal in case I get a puncture and lose too much sealant trying to plug it. DynaPlugs are part of my arsenal which I have used. Pocket pump comes in handy since I only carry one CO2 cartridge.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StevenH72

by StevenH72

I carry a single spare tube. I've never needed one in ~6000km of tubeless riding, but I don't consider it an inconvenience and wouldn't want to be stranded, however remote the possibility.