Do You Run Tubeless AND Carry a Spare Tube?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do You Run Tubeless and Carry a Spare Tube?

I run with scissors... I run tubeless and don't carry a spare tube.
30%
I listen to Safety Pup... I run tubeless and carry a spare tube.
70%

Total votes: 96

peted76

by peted76

peted76 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:15 pm
Nope.. and I'm surprised by all the weenies saying they do carry a spare tube. I am on the right weenie site?

I'm five years sober from road tubes now.

I carry a stans dart plug thingy, 30ml of sealant, a mini pump and a valve core remover... if it won't seal with a plug and a bit more sealant I'm getting a taxi home.
If I'm in a remote place riding or far from taxi's and train station, I'll carry a bit more sealant, some levers and a tyre patch kit also.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

JMeinholdt wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:52 pm
I'm planning a 90 mile ride this weekend and will probably get a puncture due to this post.
Update. Completed my 91 mile ride, which included about 5 miles of crushed limestone trail. No punctures. Also, I'm almost completely worn through the wear bars on my GP5k TL's. So they're even thinner than what they normally would be. I've inspected my tires and it doesn't even appear that I've had a single puncture front or rear that's required sealant.

I sure hope I have the same luck with my Schwalbe Pro Ones that are waiting to go on.

Confirms to me that tubeless is the way to go and a spare tube is unecessary. I think I'll just carry extra sealant and CO2's if I'm out of town.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

easyv

by easyv

I do carry a tube, but -- knock on wood -- haven't ever needed it since I've been running the GP5000 TLs. However, I would also say that it's more of a mental security blanket for me as the tires are such a tight fit on my Roval CLX 50s, that I doubt I would be able to remount/re-seat the tires on the wheels on the side of the road should I need to put a tube in if a puncture doesn't self seal.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

I always carry a tube.
Usually the lightest butyl i can find, still have a stash of conti super sonics and maxxis flyweights from my racing days.

Haven't actually used one for ages, but prevented a few people from ruining their day.

bobones

by bobones

I always carry a tube, and I have had to use one several times when I've broken valves or plugs haven't worked. Not had to make the call of shame yet with this strategy.

sychen

by sychen

I carry a tube.. Some wheels are not tubeless also I've donated tubes more times to people on the road than I've used it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Videos like the following are pushing me closer and closer to not carrying a spare tube. Some pretty extreme violence would have to happen to my tires in order to justify putting the tube in...

At least for me, the vast majority of flats I've had were from very small tube punctures like pinch flats... things that the tire sealent should easily be able to handle (not to mention pinch flats don't exist in the tubeless world.)

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

at this point, i pretty much believe the opposite of whatever GCN is pushing. they're fking hilarious.

always carry a tube. i carry two. same loadout for MTB as for road. if you snake bite bad enough without tubes, you're done. at least with tubes you can boot the slits.

otoman

by otoman

I carry Dynaplug, boot, CO2 and pump, spare tube x 2; I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. I hate having to call the wife and I'm often out from enough from the city that an Uber is an unreliable option.

Prior to carrying the Dynaplug, I've had POS Specialized tubeless tires flat and not seal with POS Stans. The interface was tight on Reynolds Attacks but I was able to messily get a tube in there. A buddy of mine had a framing nail go dead center into his tread on the road, he pulled it out and flipped the hissing hole to the bottom and it sealed in a couple seconds. Amazing.

Remember if that the hole is too small for a Dynaplug, you can always enlarge it just a little to be able to get the plug in there. As another poster said though, keep enough sealant in there! If it's clearly not sealing, take the hint and put the hole back to the top, let the rest of the air out but keeping sealant in. Dynaplug it, flip back to the bottom, slosh it back and forth, then pump up. Do your best to keep the beads seated too during that process.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Nope, Not on my watch!! i always bring money along for a cab, money is lighter than a tube.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

I recently got a Dynaplug Carbon Racer which comes with a silcone holder that attaches next to your bottle cage holder (using the same screws). It attaches fine, but I'm worried how securely it actually holds the Dynaplug. I can detach the Dynaplug pretty easily. Anyone with experience riding with the Dynaplug Carbon Racer and does it stay on? The Dynaplug is pretty expensive and I'd be bummed if I were to lose it in my next ride.

MoPho

by MoPho

Has anyone actually used C02 on a tubeless plug repair? It's my understanding that the C02 freezes the sealant into a rock and I heard of someone who had the tire come off after using C02 causing them to break their arm

sychen

by sychen

MoPho wrote:Has anyone actually used C02 on a tubeless plug repair? It's my understanding that the C02 freezes the sealant into a rock and I heard of someone who had the tire come off after using C02 causing them to break their arm
Yes used co2 after plug repair.
No it does not freeze the sealant.

Never heard of this happening.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

MoPho

by MoPho

sychen wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:59 am
MoPho wrote:Has anyone actually used C02 on a tubeless plug repair? It's my understanding that the C02 freezes the sealant into a rock and I heard of someone who had the tire come off after using C02 causing them to break their arm
Yes used co2 after plug repair.
No it does not freeze the sealant.

Never heard of this happening.

Well it was an anecdotal story that happened to a friend of a friend, perhaps the crash was caused by something else, but it is true that C02 freezes the sealant and renders it nearly useless

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MoPho wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:33 am

Well it was an anecdotal story that happened to a friend of a friend, perhaps the crash was caused by something else, but it is true that C02 freezes the sealant and renders it nearly useless
Just don't use a CO2 cartridge near the pool of sealant...aka use it at 12 o'clock. Never had a major problem. I would probably deflate/reinflate the tires after getting home though. A high concentration of CO2 will react with H2O to form carbonic acid, and that might have a small effect on the endurance of the sealant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com