Do You Run Tubeless AND Carry a Spare Tube?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do You Run Tubeless and Carry a Spare Tube?

I run with scissors... I run tubeless and don't carry a spare tube.
30%
I listen to Safety Pup... I run tubeless and carry a spare tube.
70%

Total votes: 96

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Since I started riding about 2.5 years ago, over about 10,000 miles, I've had a total of two flats. One was a leaky tube (rubber seam) when I was running tubes. The second I had a screw that punctured through the tire/tube AND RIM. Nothing would've fixed that one on the side of the road.

Over 3,000 miles on tubeless and not a single flat to speak of. This includes riding a few sidewalks with broken glass on them daily while commuting.

I do carry a tubeless seal kit, some tire boots, and a CO2, but I've never had to use them.

I'm planning a 90 mile ride this weekend and will probably get a puncture due to this post.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Nope. If numerous plugs can fix it, I'm getting a taxi regardless!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

justonwo

by justonwo

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:03 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:37 pm
yes I carry one tube and a boot JIC
What's a "boot"? :?: I'm in the USA... a boot is a heavy-duty shoe. :D
justonwo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:53 pm
(tubeless repair kit).
Suggestions welcome for a good tubeless repair kit. Are you talking about the tire plugs that are becoming popular these days?
I haven't yet carried one. I'm probably going to order a Dynaplug Racer kit. My only concern with them is damaging the rim tape on insertion, but I guess that would be the concern with any of these plug-type tools. In the past, I've used a tube, but I'd be curious to hear from those that have used Dynaplug.
2020 Pinarello F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

RUNTHAT

by RUNTHAT

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:22 pm
Kind of interesting in that this is the "Weight Weenies Forum", yet it sounds like most of us carry 800 pounds of tire repair gear which totally eclipses all the money we spend on low-weight bike parts. :mrgreen:

Calling Uber is an interesting emergency plan!
LOL So ironic!

AJS914

by AJS914

justonwo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:03 pm
I'd be curious to hear from those that have used Dynaplug.
I'd be interested in what others also have to say. I've been carrying a dynaplug kit but I haven't need to use it yet. One thing I've heard is that Dynaplugs are great because they won't pop back out like other plugs. I worry that you'd need to have a fairly large hole in a road tire to need a dynaplug or it will be impossible to get one in to a small hole.

kode54

by kode54

I tried Stan's Dart...the damn tip broke off before insertion. LOL. Luckily, I carry the DynaPlug as well. Since the DynaPlug has a sharp brass tip, getting the bugger in the puncture is no problem. But if you have a large puncture...say, like 3mm...you may need to use two plugs. I swish them around after its plugged since they are malleble and helps with the seal. I had the Stan's Dart with me as a test and that day, I ran over car accident debris which went into the sidewall. Not a good place for plugging. I had to pump air every 5-10 miles...but made it home. BTW, I used a tube repair patch from the inside of the tire to make a permanent seal since the tire only had around 80 miles on it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Lugan

by Lugan

I have 8 bikes and even more wheelsets and am 100% tubeless for ~2 years. I used to carry a tube for road rides (still do for gravel and MTB), but stopped for two reasons: First, I never flat on the road. Had to plug once in thousands of miles. Maybe my roads are less hazardous (Seattle area). Second, even if I needed to stick a tube in, it's not clear I'd be able to free one side of the bead roadside due to the super tight tire-rim interfaces. So Uber or my wife are the last resort. Haven't needed to resort to those in the tubeless era.

What I carry on road rides: Dynaplug racer, which I carry separately in a pocket so I can access it fast and stick the plug in to minimize air loss. I've only needed to use it once in thousands of miles, and it worked great, sealing a 5-7mm slice in the tread that sealant alone couldn't plug. I trimmed it (I carry a small x-acto blade too) and rode another 3+ hours that day and many hundred of miles more on that repaired tire. Second line of defense is a Stans Dart. If it's a huge slash, then I plan to use this. Never have had the occasion though. Writing that last sentence makes me think I should practice using it next time I switch tires.
Last edited by Lugan on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

I have two sets of deep section wheels, Yoeleo SAT C58 Pros and LightBicycle AR56. The GP5000TL pops on the the Yoeleo wheels with just a little help with a tire iron and inflates with a track pump. The identical tires took a huge manhandling to get on the LB rims and many tries with an air compressor to seat.

When I ride the LB wheels I don't take an inner tube because it's unlikely I'll be able to remove the tires on the side of the road and no way would be able to get them back on.

justonwo

by justonwo

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:31 pm
justonwo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:03 pm
I'd be curious to hear from those that have used Dynaplug.
I'd be interested in what others also have to say. I've been carrying a dynaplug kit but I haven't need to use it yet. One thing I've heard is that Dynaplugs are great because they won't pop back out like other plugs. I worry that you'd need to have a fairly large hole in a road tire to need a dynaplug or it will be impossible to get one in to a small hole.
Yeah, and I was a little concerned about jabbing the rim tape. Frankly, putting a tube in is probably easier for me.
2020 Pinarello F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I think it’s rather entertaining to watch someone wrestle with GP5000 after the spill. Extra credit if you can shove a tube in there and remount the tire. Might be a good idea to carry rubber gloves and baby wipes to leave the scene clean. If dynaplug and co2 doesn’t save the day, I’m out. Can’t imagine dealing with the mess on the side of the road even though Schwalbe One Pro TLE is far easier to remount.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

wltz

by wltz

I carry a tiny 55g pump (Topeak Micro Rocket, good enough to get to 75psi), a 30ml bottle of sealant, valve core remover, a set of plugs I pre-cut to different diameters, and the plug insertion tool. That's all, have always been able to get home with this setup.
Attachments
08B87B10-8C54-4D38-8C36-51EEA976F393.jpeg

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Just a tubolito, far lighter and smaller than a reg tube.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

robbosmans wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:02 am
Just a tubolito, far lighter and smaller than a reg tube.
^^ Weight Weenie tip of the day right here!

I hadn't heard of these tubes before. One issue I have that prompted me to start this thread is that I'm running 700x32 tires and a normal spare tube is pretty big 'n heavy. This "Tubolito" thingy is interesting.

SamD

by SamD

I have been running Continental GP5000 TL in 28mm on my Roval CL50s for the past months. Rolled about 3000km on them outside. I've only had one explicit puncture as of yet, due to a long +/- 1mm thick piece of iron. I pulled it out, gave my wheel a spin and it sealed swiftly without air loss. Awesome!

Up untill now I have been carrying a tube and two co2 canisters, which I haven't needed yet. Fingers crossed. But I was wondering the following: let's say I go to 25mm GP5000 TL when these are worn out, and I want to save some space in my pockets. If I'd bring a Dynaplug Air and two 12g co2 canisters, would I be able to save my ass on most occassions? I've got a Spesh SWAT multitool and top cap chain breaker too, so I can keep it minimalistic.

I'm mostly wondering whether one 12g would be enough to bring my tires back up to about 5,5 - 6 bar (80 - 87psi) in case of a total flat. I weigh 78kg (172 lbs), The Rovals have an inner diameter of 21mm so the tires would stretch to +/- 27mm I guess? Might even be kind of high when I read your pressures.

So perhaps more in general, can lower pressures of tubeless tires bring back the 12g co2 cartridge? They'd be just that bit flatter in my Rapha Essentials case... (...current gen phones are so big!)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peted76

by peted76

Nope.. and I'm surprised by all the weenies saying they do carry a spare tube. I am on the right weenie site?

I'm five years sober from road tubes now.

I carry a stans dart plug thingy, 30ml of sealant, a mini pump and a valve core remover... if it won't seal with a plug and a bit more sealant I'm getting a taxi home.
If I'm in a remote place riding or far from taxi's and train station, I'll carry a bit more sealant and a tyre patch kit also.