Do You Run Tubeless AND Carry a Spare Tube?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do You Run Tubeless and Carry a Spare Tube?

I run with scissors... I run tubeless and don't carry a spare tube.
30%
I listen to Safety Pup... I run tubeless and carry a spare tube.
70%

Total votes: 96

Oms

by Oms

Always carry a tube (I'm just used to it). That said, never ever had a puncture on a tubeless tyre (so far). 🤞🤞

Interestingly, I added a bit of sealant to my inner tubes, running GP5000 28mm non TLR tyres (650b) - they were so puncture prone and useless. Never ever had so many punctures on a set of tyres. Peculiar to the size perhaps?

Anyway, I'm SO sold on tubeless sealant that I'd add it to anything (well... apart from muesli).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

choochoo46

by choochoo46

After switching to tubeless over a year ago I got my first puncture last week. Before tubeless I'd get 4-5 flats a year.

I don't carry a spare tube but needed one this time.

I've mostly been running LB AR56 wheels and GP5000 TLRs but in this instance I was running Prime 50mm wheels and Schwalbe Pro Ones.

By the time I pulled over I'd lost most of my air. It was clear where the puncture was as I could see sealant leaking out. I put one dynaplug in and used my one CO2. Didn't seal enough.

Put another dynaplug next to the first and used a mate's CO2. Didn't seal.

I could have tried the "fat" dynaplug but instead got a tube from another rider. Was able to get the tire back on with just my hands. Used CO2 #3.

Five and ten miles later used CO2 #4 and #5. When installing the tube I didn't first check the tire for what caused the original puncture. So I had a tiny slow leak.

Lessons learned.

When I'm riding the Prime/ProOne combo and going on a long ride I'll now take an inner tube, extra CO2 and a pump.

If I see it's a pretty big cut (mine was about 0.5 - 0.75 cm) I should use the big/fat dynaplug.

When I ride the AR56 / GP5000 combo (which won't fit a tube or will be a monster to remount the tire), maybe take one more CO2 or a pump.

Rnoben

by Rnoben

I run tubeless and carry a spare tube, but was thinking about buying a plug.
Most post in this thread mention Dynaplug. Are those generally considered the best plugs for road tires (I run GP5000 28mm on WR38 rims)? Any other plug recommendations?

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Tubeless + tube + plugs + patch kit for tube...longer rides, extra tube

choochoo46

by choochoo46

rudye9mr wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:10 pm
Tubeless + tube + plugs + patch kit for tube...longer rides, extra tube
Edit. Deleted post.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

Rnoben wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:13 pm
I run tubeless and carry a spare tube, but was thinking about buying a plug.
Most post in this thread mention Dynaplug. Are those generally considered the best plugs for road tires (I run GP5000 28mm on WR38 rims)? Any other plug recommendations?
Search the forums here for dynaplug. The consensus seems to be while very expensive they often work when bacon does not. And they are very quick to deploy and use.

MikeD

by MikeD

Anyone have problems with tire pressure pushing a plug out? I'm using Genuine Innovations plugs.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

MikeD wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:52 pm
Anyone have problems with tire pressure pushing a plug out? I'm using Genuine Innovations plugs.
You'd probably not have the same problem with Dynaplugs. The metal tip is not likely to pull out, etc.

MikeD

by MikeD

choochoo46 wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:52 pm
You'd probably not have the same problem with Dynaplugs. The metal tip is not likely to pull out, etc.
Maybe, but I've read that the metal tip falls off and rattles around in the tire. The GI plug pushed out about 3/8", then seems to stabilize. Probably not a problem.

Rnoben

by Rnoben

choochoo46 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:03 am
Search the forums here for dynaplug. The consensus seems to be while very expensive they often work when bacon does not. And they are very quick to deploy and use.
Thanks for confirming; I did search the forums but couldn't seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Geoff

by Geoff

I can't even think of the number of times I have forgotten to bring a pump with road tubeless...

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

choochoo46 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:04 am
Five and ten miles later used CO2 #4 and #5. When installing the tube I didn't first check the tire for what caused the original puncture. So I had a tiny slow leak.
It's been my experience that CO2 doesn't keep tire pressure up very long, especially in hot weather. For this reason, I've opted to carry a micro pump instead of CO2. Sure, micro-pumps are not the most fun to use, but they only stop pumping air when your arm falls off :lol:

kervelo

by kervelo

I use tubeless tyres on my gravel and mtb only and carry a spare tube. I managed to find a tubolito emergency tube (s-turbo) that could be used with either of them.

MikeD

by MikeD

PoorInRichfield wrote:
choochoo46 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:04 am
It's been my experience that CO2 doesn't keep tire pressure up very long, especially in hot weather. For this reason, I've opted to carry a micro pump instead of CO2. Sure, micro-pumps are not the most fun to use, but they only stop pumping air when your arm falls off :lol:
The slow leak rate of CO2 should allow you to complete the ride with negligible loss of tire pressure; at least that's my experience. Just fully deflate the tire when you get home and pump up with air.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

MikeD wrote: The slow leak rate of CO2 should allow you to complete the ride with negligible loss of tire pressure; at least that's my experience. Just fully deflate the tire when you get home and pump up with air.
Ditto