Thinking Too Hard About Tubeless Valve Stems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

I have my Bontrager Aeoulus Pro 3V wheels setup tubeless with a Bontrager rim strip and valve stem. To "sloch" the tubeless fluid around in the rear wheel, I lifted up the rear of my bike why the wheel was attached and gave it a good spin. It was then I realized how unbalanced my rear wheel is! The bike wanted to bounce up and down very noticeably.

The Bontrager valve stems that came with the tubeless kit are way too long for the wheels. I think they're 70mm valve stems and they probably only need to be 45mm. So this is where the weight weenie part comes in...

Have any of you who are running tubeless given much thought to the valve stem you use and if your wheels are balanced? What brand are you guys/gals using for tubeless valve stems? Are there any brands you won't use due to a bad experience?

I figure that many cyclists spend in access of $2k on a wheelset to save a few grams, then pay no attention to the valve stems. Since the stem mounts on the rim, far from the center of the wheel, any excess weight in the stem will be amplified with speed due to centripetal force.

For a tubeless valve stem of approximately 44-45mm in length, there are a few grams to be saved. Here are some of the valves I'm considering to replace my Bontrager valve stems...

Muc Off Presta Valve Stem 44mm Universal Pair: 14g per stem - $28

Lindarets Traben Titanium Tubeless Valve Stems: 5g per stem - $40

Barbieri Carbonaria Carbon Valve Stems 45mm: 4.5g per stem - $30

As a "marginal gain" modification to my bike, I don't expect that changing valve stems will have life changing impact but it's still something I'm interested in. If you're not interested in this topic, please refrain from posting "This is a waste of time" comments as that's not helpful or welcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

I was a big advocate of the Milkit tubeless valves because it prevented ingress of sealant in the valve stem, but grew disastisfied when the internal plungers all got stuck. Currently using/happy with the KCNC Universal tubeless valves, which like the MucOff valves, had several bases to better conform to the rim bed, but have been considering switching to the MucOff valves just to see how they work.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MikeD

by MikeD

I try to use valves from the rim manufacturer, so you are more assured they fit the rim bed and thus seal properly.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Try aluminum valves. Also you can balance the wheel using golf club/badminton racket adhesive weights. First on the outside of the rim then next time you swap tires you can try and tape them to the rim bed. I admit I haven't done it on tubeless but there ought to be a way to get it inside like on tubed wheels. :)

Miller

by Miller

I bought a pair of the Muc Off valves, not fitted yet admittedly, but they are a thing of beauty. And I never thought I'd be writing that about a valve stem. They're beautifully anodised, come in a choice of colours and as indicated in the photo above, you get quite a kit of parts.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Miller wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:48 pm
They're beautifully anodised, come in a choice of colours and as indicated in the photo above, you get quite a kit of parts.
I'll admit that I've been visually mesmerized by the Muc Off valves... particularily the "irridescent" ones that would match the theme on my bike (but are sold-out right now)...

But let us not be deceived by the evil one! This is the weight weenie forum, not the pretty bike forum! We shall close our eyes and base our valve decisions on weight and function and not beauty... :smartass:

C36

by C36

I do like attention to details and was wondering about the valves not long ago.

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/produ ... ess-valve/
Claimed 3.6g, despite the laughable «valve weight without the accessories »... but should be light even with the tightening nut installed.

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

C36 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 pm
I do like attention to details and was wondering about the valves not long ago.

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/produ ... ess-valve/
Claimed 3.6g, despite the laughable «valve weight without the accessories »... but should be light even with the tightening nut installed.

Those rectangular stopper valves are objectively worse than the conical ones, so you may as well just get ones that don’t need conical adapters.

Aluminum alloy valves are fine.

Basically I’d get Silca valves if they’re still available or random alloy valves with conical bungs/stoppers of Amazon in the required length.

3phase

by 3phase

My local LBS have these on stock:

https://chrisking.com/collections/gear/ ... ess-valves

If you want matching colors with your hubs, headset and other CK items.

I went for the Matt Bourbon

sychen

by sychen

3phase wrote:My local LBS have these on stock:

https://chrisking.com/collections/gear/ ... ess-valves

If you want matching colors with your hubs, headset and other CK items.

I went for the Matt Bourbon
Ohhhh I like this(red) and the iridescent mukoff ones..

60mm isn't enough length for 50mm deep rims though..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

If you use screw on pump heads like Lezyne, 60mm valves are enough for 50mm rims.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Screw on pump heads are a bit unsuitable with tubeless as you're messing with and pulling on the valve core. A friend almost threw his expensive pump out the window when he took the head and core off together for the fifth time. I guess wheels/tubes with removable cores all are kind of sensitive.

You don't want to torque the core too much either and screw up the seal.

jlok

by jlok

Exactly, I screw in the pump head just enough to pump. Not sure why I need to tighten it up so much that the vavle core would be unscrewed... Have been using tubeless like that without issue.

But yeah, for those less sensitive or ham fisted may be better staying off screw on pump head...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

alcatraz

by alcatraz

My friend has in the past overtightened and broken more than one valve core. So he's struggling to find the balance inbetween. :)

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I have Muck Offs and Peaty's, but not because of weight, because of astetics. They just look good. I'm a firm believer that the valve stem color should match the accent color of the bike (not the main color).

Case in point, I have a red Aspero, all of my valve stems for all of my wheels incorporate orange in some way. The carbon rims I use for road actually have orange spoke nipples to go with the orange valves.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com