Reynolds Assault 2018 bearing upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Good to hear that. Thanks for the update. Pressing a bearing using an old bearing should be OK. But ideally you don't want anything to touch the inner race during the pressing operation. Radial sealed bearings cannot take a large lateral force. If the force is only on the outer race then there's absolutely no chance you can damage a bearing unless there's an issue with the interference fit.

How cheap is cheap? The cheapest prices I could find are the following, taken from my last order. These prices include VAT. I live in the U.S. so the VAT will be deducted.

Product Quantity Price
6902-LLB NTN (NON-CONTACT SEAL TYPE) 9 £135.00
6903-LLB NTN (NON-CONTACT SEAL TYPE) 1 £16.00
6803-LLB NTN (NON-CONTACT SEAL TYPE) 2 £30.00

There are fake NTN bearings out there. NTN has created some defenses against fakes. Here's some info. on checking for authenticity of your bearings.

https://www.stopfakebearings.com/news/n ... eit-labels

Cubist

by Cubist

https://www.lagerkoning.nl/ntn-kogellag ... ZIEALw_wcB

€8,25 for one bearing tax included.

Hambini sells them for €13 without tax included.

They both came in plastic wrap:

The one on the left is the one from Hambini, the one on the right the cheap one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cubist

by Cubist

Continued with pressing in Enduro SMR 15267 LLB bearings in the freehub. The stops were much easier to feel here.
Seems strange you can’t feel the stops in the hub because they are there.. fortunately all is well now.

Mazza

by Mazza

I've just replaced my bearings in my Hunt wheels, also Revo Cream, are they known to be rubbish as they only lasted a few months?

Cubist

by Cubist

Could also be shitty hub seals.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Cubist wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:21 am

Looks legit. Pricing also seems normal and Lagerkoning is a somewhat known adress. I can't promise you they're real, but haven't noticed any red flags (seen this shop before and pay similar prices at their competitors here in NL).

Hambini is a bit expensive with his bearing. Enjoy his videos and BB, but he's not an official retailer and tries to make some money on them obviously.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

abatty

by abatty

I get my bearings from this UK supplier www.wychbearings.co.uk and install using pullers and drifts from www.bearingprotools.com

I've used the above to replace original bearings in Miche Primato and White Industries T11 hubs with SKF bearings and have been very happy with the result.

The Enduro bearings in the T11 hubs didn't last long, so I can't recommend this brand. Might just be me but availability on NTN isn't great in UK, but I've not had a problem with SKF and will continue to use this brand.

Cubist

by Cubist

Ypuh wrote:
Cubist wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:21 am

Looks legit. Pricing also seems normal and Lagerkoning is a somewhat known adress. I can't promise you they're real, but haven't noticed any red flags (seen this shop before and pay similar prices at their competitors here in NL).

Hambini is a bit expensive with his bearing. Enjoy his videos and BB, but he's not an official retailer and tries to make some money on them obviously.
After 5000km the bearings from Lagerkoning are still buttery smooth.
I take care of the hubs re greasing the outside of the bearings now and then to hopefully keep moisture out for longer.
Also I am careful not to use degreasers around my bearings.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Cubist wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:13 am
After 5000km the bearings from Lagerkoning are still buttery smooth.
I take care of the hubs re greasing the outside of the bearings now and then to hopefully keep moisture out for longer.
Also I am careful not to use degreasers around my bearings.
My cheap default Zipp bearings lasted for +/- 8.000km. Let's see if the NTN's can outperform those!
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Premature bearing failure is usually attributed to a poorly machined hub shell or freehub. If the hub shell is machined too tight it squeezes the bearing's outer race and early bearing failure occurs. Or if the circle is not round it causes high pressure points. Bearings don't fail for no good reason. Of course bearings can fail due to contamination but that's not common in a wheel bearing. The attached video illustrates my point. I do hope it works out for you. I just don't want you to blame the NTN bearings if they don't last long enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpfD28tQ_sA

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Does anyone the size of the washer in the Reynolds Assault wheels? Picked up a set cheap but it is missing the washer between the bearing and freehub so the freehub binds when the axle is tight. I'm guessing around 15mm ID and 20mm OD from the bearing size and 1mm thick?

Cubist

by Cubist

I can measure one with my calipers tomorrow. I think you are about right.

Cubist

by Cubist

When you google Reynolds Spare Freehub Spacer GW RED 17.5x15x2.1mm you will find a red colored spacer. It looks the same but if the stated dimensions are right I’m afraid it will be too thick. Can’t find my spare one atm. But the ring is max 1mm thick.