Xxx 4 wheels - tlr strip vs tubeless tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

treksloth

by treksloth

Just built up a new bike using the xxx 4 wheels. Slightly underwhelmed with the weight of the bike and trying to trim some grams. Seeing as how the build was pretty much no expense spared, my options are slim. I set up the xxx wheels using the supplied tlr strips which from my reading are about 60g each. Switching to a regular tubeless tape can probably save me about 100g. Is anyone running regular tubeless tape on their xxx wheels? Will I have any issues with the tire staying on the rim without the tlr strips? Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

treksloth wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:02 pm
Just built up a new bike using the xxx 4 wheels. Slightly underwhelmed with the weight of the bike and trying to trim some grams. Seeing as how the build was pretty much no expense spared, my options are slim. I set up the xxx wheels using the supplied tlr strips which from my reading are about 60g each. Switching to a regular tubeless tape can probably save me about 100g. Is anyone running regular tubeless tape on their xxx wheels? Will I have any issues with the tire staying on the rim without the tlr strips? Thanks in advance!
I've been running my XXX 6 and Aelous Pro 3V with two layers of Stans tubeless tape for over a year without an issue.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

treksloth

by treksloth

Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:05 pm
treksloth wrote:
I've been running my XXX 6 and Aelous Pro 3V with two layers of Stans tubeless tape for over a year without an issue.
Set up tubeless?

Pato

by Pato

I've got XXX4 and tried both TLR strip and tape over the last 15 months. You'll need to do a double wrap in case you go tape way since one is not enough to seat most TL tires.
Also, if you go the tape way, I suggest you use a different valve or find a conical rubber seal. The valve provided is made to seat on a flat surface (TLR strip), which won't be the case if you use tape, and even with the best sealant you'll still have quite some pressure drop from one day to the other, in my case was about 8-10psi. Pressure will always drop being TL setup, but with a better seal you'll be in the 5 psi range max.
I found Muc-off's to be pretty good and allow multiple combinations for different rims in a single package.

treksloth

by treksloth

Pato wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:10 am
I've got XXX4 and tried both TLR strip and tape over the last 15 months. You'll need to do a double wrap in case you go tape way since one is not enough to seat most TL tires.
Also, if you go the tape way, I suggest you use a different valve or find a conical rubber seal. The valve provided is made to seat on a flat surface (TLR strip), which won't be the case if you use tape, and even with the best sealant you'll still have quite some pressure drop from one day to the other, in my case was about 8-10psi. Pressure will always drop being TL setup, but with a better seal you'll be in the 5 psi range max.
I found Muc-off's to be pretty good and allow multiple combinations for different rims in a single package.
Awesome thanks for the info, I was planning on using Schwalbe tape and definitely using a different valve instead of the flat Bontrager one. I'll give it a whirl, if it doesn't work out I'll swap back to tlr strips. I was just making sure the tire and hook of the rim would still be all good and that the tlr strip wasn't an integral part

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

treksloth wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:30 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:05 pm
treksloth wrote:
Set up tubeless?
Yes. Conti 5000 TL's on the xxx6 and Panaracer SK GK on the Aeolus Pro 3V's.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

treksloth

by treksloth

Perfect thanks bro!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've used both tape and liner, and I find the liner has a better, easier time seating and maintaining the seal on tubeless tires. I've tried it across a variety of wheels, too (XXX 6's, Affinity Comps, RXL Road, RXL Mtb). The liners are plug-and-play, and with only one or two exceptions, have inflated with a floor pump.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I've had liner and tape, weighed the liner, weighed a double layer of tape, went forward with tape. Not sure I'll ever accept liners if they're going to add over 100gr for a set.
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Reserecting this old thread because I am about to make this decision myself, TLR Rim Strip or Rim Tape for my Bontrager TLR XXX 4 wheels? The wheels call for 622x21 TLR Strip, which Bontrager claims is 50g per wheel - is that accurate? What is the weight of two layers of rim tape for comparison? This is my first tubeless setup - I generally use light inner tubes instead but the guys in my club convinced me to try some GP5000S-TR's.

BTW - My wheels weigh 602g for the front and 756g for the rear (1358g for the set) in case anyone is searching for actual weights down the road.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

After further research it appears that the TLR Rim Stips are indeed 50g per wheel and rim tape is somewhere between 5-10g per wheel, it just seems like a waste put add 80-90g to a sub 1400g wheelset for no real good reason. I think I'm going to try the rim tape.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg