Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Corfate wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:10 pm
First ride on the r45's tonight.

First impressions is that the front wheel felt pretty twitchy in the wind and was noticeably more affected by the wind than the Vision metron that was on there previously (40mm)

Wheels also felt quite a bit more uncomfortable if that's the right word over bumps, I really felt like I felt every imperfection in the road.

Now that all sounds bad, but I have to say they felt mega quick and the comfort factor is something I'll get used to in time.

The rear wheel flex side to side is super minimal compared to the visions. They also sound ace when rolling along and the freehub sounds great.

Running 23mm gp4000s on them, and they do look noticeably fatter than I was expecting. Couldn't get anything bigger as the clearance on the chainstays is minimal as it is.

Took 15 days to arrive from order, I'm pretty pleased with them!
FTFY

cannondale7om

by cannondale7om

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:56 pm
zappafile123 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:16 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:14 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:26 pm
Yeah I wouldn’t ride that
Yeah I'm sure now that it is. I can hear the crackling sound when I press on that area. Can that be fixed? There is a guy who fixes carbon frames here in Sweden. I wonder if the wheels can be fixed. Otherwise, can the spokes and hubs be salvaged somehow?
No, it probably can't be fixed. Carbon repair is not really 'fixing' so much as it is making an area structurally sound by patching it - its a bandaid solution. Given the structure and function of that area, its hard to see a bandaide working well. Also be careful pressing - if you can hear it, that means you're making any existing damage worse.

If I were you I'd take the rim tape off to double check. Maybe try the coin test. And if you can confirm its cracked, then the rim probably needs to go in the bin. It's more cost effective and less risky just to buy a new rim from Winspace if they'll sell you one.
Alright. That's what I suspected. I'll take the tape of but it doesn't seem like it went further from there. Either way, it is done for.

I'll have to ask Winspace if they can sell me a rim. Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation as me? I mean needing parts from Winspace? It would be nice if I could get my hands on a new 67 rear rim, and put a 28 on it, with 25 in the front. Otherwise I could use any other rim but it won't look nice.
A friend of mine did manage to buy a rim from them. I think they can sell it to you. But about the new 67 rear rim, the rim depth is different so your current spoke length might be incorrect. And I also noticed that they have changed the spoke angle too so I don't think your current hub and spokes will be compatible...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cannondale7om

by cannondale7om

Roadbiker10 wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:
robbosmans wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:26 pm
Yeah I wouldn’t ride that
Yeah I'm sure now that it is. I can hear the crackling sound when I press on that area. Can that be fixed? There is a guy who fixes carbon frames here in Sweden. I wonder if the wheels can be fixed. Otherwise, can the spokes and hubs be salvaged somehow?
No, it probably can't be fixed. Carbon repair is not really 'fixing' so much as it is making an area structurally sound by patching it - its a bandaid solution. Given the structure and function of that area, its hard to see a bandaide working well. Also be careful pressing - if you can hear it, that means you're making any existing damage worse.

If I were you I'd take the rim tape off to double check. Maybe try the coin test. And if you can confirm its cracked, then the rim probably needs to go in the bin. It's more cost effective and less risky just to buy a new rim from Winspace if they'll sell you one.
Alright. That's what I suspected. I'll take the tape of but it doesn't seem like it went further from there. Either way, it is done for.

I'll have to ask Winspace if they can sell me a rim. Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation as me? I mean needing parts from Winspace? It would be nice if I could get my hands on a new 67 rear rim, and put a 28 on it, with 25 in the front. Otherwise I could use any other rim but it won't look nice.
A friend of mine did manage to buy a rim from them. I think they can sell it to you. But about the new 67 rear rim, the rim depth is different so your current spoke length might be incorrect. And I also noticed that they have changed the spoke angle too so I don't think your current hub and spokes will be compatible...

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

cannondale7om wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:15 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:

I know for a fact that they can send just a rim because when the braking track on my 38s deteriorated after only a few 1000 kms they send a replacement rim.

Your next challenge will be to find someone prepared to re-build a wheel with carbon spokes.

My 2c... see what their crash replacement policy is.
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

Corfate wrote:

Running 23mm gp4000s on them, and they do look noticeably fatter than I was expecting. Couldn't get anything bigger as the clearance on the chainstays is minimal as it is.
Which frame do you have?

Corfate

by Corfate

KalleWirsch wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:22 am
Corfate wrote:

Which frame do you have?
2016 Supersix Evo, Non hi mod

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

cannondale7om wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:

Oh yeah. I didn't think about the spoke length. They just told me that they will be able to find a solution, and asked me for the serial number, which is on the hub. We emailed back and forth this morning. Great customer service.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

SixThirteen wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:52 am
cannondale7om wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:

I know for a fact that they can send just a rim because when the braking track on my 38s deteriorated after only a few 1000 kms they send a replacement rim.

Your next challenge will be to find someone prepared to re-build a wheel with carbon spokes.

My 2c... see what their crash replacement policy is.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yeah, finding someone to work on them might be a challenge. I had contact with a guy who builds wheels here on a Swedish forum. He said the same thing, that he never built with carbon spokes before.

Would this be something a regular LBS could do? There is one pretty known wheelbuilder here in Stockholm called DR Spoke. I'll see with him, in case I get a rim.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

Corfate wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:39 am
KalleWirsch wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:22 am
Corfate wrote:

Which frame do you have?
2016 Supersix Evo, Non hi mod
Thank you.

I´ve ordered the R45 in the 2023 Winspace spec for my older Canyon Ultimate CF SL frame.
Let´s see if 28mm tires will fit. It´s the largest size Canyon says to fit, but I guess this info came from narrower rims some years ago.

Corfate

by Corfate

I sadly don't have any caliper measury thingies to see how wide they are when inflated. Hopefully these pics give an idea of how snug they are (I'm not a good photographer lol)

ziocomposite

by ziocomposite

Corfate wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:44 am
I sadly don't have any caliper measury thingies to see how wide they are when inflated. Hopefully these pics give an idea of how snug they are (I'm not a good photographer lol)

lol, damn pretty tight. How many mm clearance you got? You can use an allen key to give a proximate value =P
The wheels looks great on that matte silver frame!

Corfate

by Corfate

ziocomposite wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:41 pm
Corfate wrote:

lol, damn pretty tight. How many mm clearance you got? You can use an allen key to give a proximate value =P
Seems to be about 2mm ish. It's snug to get the allen key in, so maybe 1.5-2mm.

Nothing like cutting it tight eh :oops:

And thanks!

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Corfate wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:41 am
ziocomposite wrote:
Corfate wrote:

And thanks!
I moved to Conti 5000 / 25 for a wheelset for my 2015 Cervelo - they were just that little bit smaller than 4000 / 25
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Corfate

by Corfate

SixThirteen wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:58 am
Corfate wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:41 am
ziocomposite wrote:
Corfate wrote:

And thanks!
I moved to Conti 5000 / 25 for a wheelset for my 2015 Cervelo - they were just that little bit smaller than 4000 / 25
Ah fantastic, if that's the case i'll pick up some 5000's. These GP4000s are nearly done for and i'm a little bit twitchy with how snug they are!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

christiancarr

by christiancarr

Hyper 65 rim brake wheels owners, what is the braking like?
No info on Winspace site regarding braking surface material, heat resistance, etc.

Are you riding latex inner tubes?