Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Gwcman wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:26 pm
Gwcman wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:51 pm
Update after about 500 kms

After a 120km ride started to have a ticking noise comming from the hub at almost every pedal stroke.

Inspected, opened the hub(really simple and easy) there was a little bit of dirt where the paws engage,theres almost no grease or lub in the area,cleaned it and put a little grease(water resistant), and added alittle grease in the bearings too,no more noise.

The seals on the hubs are not protecting well from dirt or water i guess,i would suggest to put some water resistant/bearing grease where the hub is sealing to have more protection from water/dirt.

Other than that, awesome wheels :)
As of yesterday (saturday May 1) I have put 744kms on my wheels, they feel great and I've had a few people ask about them, no complaints.
I think I just started experiencing the same clicking as Mcdeez, I've only rode them in clean dry weather so far. And no issues of creaks/squeaks that I can tell of spokes rubbing together.

I recall Hambini recently did a vid taking apart the rear hub to clean, MCdeez, did you just follow that process to re-grease the pawls?

Cheers,
Ive put electric tape between spokes to se if they are rubbing, and no they are not.

The procedure to remove the hub is like in hanbini video yes, just pull the cups for the thrus axel and you can pull the free hub by hand, thats it!
Thanks, kinda thought so, just thought I'd ask to be certain.

I just did a search around YouTube, this is exactly the sound I'm getting in this vid, is this what you were experiencing as well? -

Not sure exactly when I"ll get to taking it apart and lubing it as I don't have the necessary tools and in 3rd wave lockdown here in Toronto till May 20th. Hopefully that cures it and just a requires some cleaning now and again.

Cheers,
You dont need any specific tools to remove the freehub, it just pulls with hand, dont remove the pawls, juste clean the area where the pawls are touching with brake cleaner(dont put it on the bearings) and re grease with water proof grease (not too much)and put it back together, you should be fine

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gwcman

by Gwcman

Mcdeez wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:35 pm
Gwcman wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:26 pm
Gwcman wrote:
As of yesterday (saturday May 1) I have put 744kms on my wheels, they feel great and I've had a few people ask about them, no complaints.
I think I just started experiencing the same clicking as Mcdeez, I've only rode them in clean dry weather so far. And no issues of creaks/squeaks that I can tell of spokes rubbing together.

I recall Hambini recently did a vid taking apart the rear hub to clean, MCdeez, did you just follow that process to re-grease the pawls?

Cheers,
Ive put electric tape between spokes to se if they are rubbing, and no they are not.

The procedure to remove the hub is like in hanbini video yes, just pull the cups for the thrus axel and you can pull the free hub by hand, thats it!
Thanks, kinda thought so, just thought I'd ask to be certain.

I just did a search around YouTube, this is exactly the sound I'm getting in this vid, is this what you were experiencing as well? -

Not sure exactly when I"ll get to taking it apart and lubing it as I don't have the necessary tools and in 3rd wave lockdown here in Toronto till May 20th. Hopefully that cures it and just a requires some cleaning now and again.

Cheers,
You dont need any specific tools to remove the freehub, it just pulls with hand, dont remove the pawls, juste clean the area where the pawls are touching with brake cleaner(dont put it on the bearings) and re grease with water proof grease (not too much)and put it back together, you should be fine
Mcdeez - k thx. I knew it had nothing to do with the shifting/gears as my other stock wheels don't make any sound. So I assumed it had to be the hub. It appears to be common and production just needs to add a little more grease at factory to avoid from occuring so soon, hopefully the extra grease silences it for a while.

Ya it's simple enough, I just don't have the tools to remove rear cassette. I'll have to look at purchasing the tools if this is going to be something I have to do regularly.

ChinaCycling - have you heard or experienced this much, appears it may be common? I"m not too concerned just good to know if it's something I can expect to do routinely and if all it's going to take is a little grease, that's easy. Thoughts or tips?

Cheers

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

NoS9 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:14 am
ongbenghui wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:14 am
Below is the disassembly for the Winspace Rear Hub that comes with my Hyper 39 Disc.
It consists of 2 x 6903 bearings, and 2 x 6803 bearing.
Freehub is a 6 pawls design and decently loud.
While the bearing is hybrid ceramics, I chose to replace it with standard industrial NTN/NSK non-contact seal bearing.
ie...
NSK 6903VV
NSK 6803VV
NTN 6903LLB
NTN 6803LLB
Hope this can be useful.

winspace_hub_rear2.jpg
Hi,

Are you sure the left is a 6903?
Arccording to pic attached, there is only 1 x 6903.

Can anyone confirm this cause I just ordered 5 x 6803 and 1 x 6903 to replace my bearings.

Thanks
Yes, I saw the earlier pic posted that the rear hub was 3 x 6803 & 1 x 6903. However, when I disassemble my rear hub, I found 2 x 6903 (hub body) and 2 x 6803 (freehub). I can only suspect that Winspace did a hub change at some point, or, my wheel Hub is a Disc brake Thru-Axle version.

I tend to order a few more bearings as spares and future use. Hence, I was not affected by it.

Hambini did a tear down, and I noticed his wheel is a rim brake version. Maybe you can check if your is a rim brake version.

My picture is correct as I posted it.

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

ongbenghui wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:49 pm
NoS9 wrote:
ongbenghui wrote:
Below is the disassembly for the Winspace Rear Hub that comes with my Hyper 39 Disc.
While the bearing is hybrid ceramics, I chose to replace it with standard industrial NTN/NSK non-contact seal bearing.
ie...
NSK 6903VV
NSK 6803VV
NTN 6903LLB
NTN 6803LLB
Hope this can be useful.

winspace_hub_rear2.jpg
Hi,

Can anyone confirm this cause I just ordered 5 x 6803 and 1 x 6903 to replace my bearings.

Thanks
Yes, I saw the earlier pic posted that the rear hub was 3 x 6803 & 1 x 6903. However, when I disassemble my rear hub, I found 2 x 6903 (hub body) and 2 x 6803 (freehub). I can only suspect that Winspace did a hub change at some point, or, my wheel Hub is a Disc brake Thru-Axle version.

I tend to order a few more bearings as spares and future use. Hence, I was not affected by it.

Hambini did a tear down, and I noticed his wheel is a rim brake version. Maybe you can check if your is a rim brake version.

I just check my front hub. Apparently, it looks like a 6903 on the Disc Rotor side, and 6803 on the other side.
I think Disc Hub got a bigger 6903 bearing on the rotor side, which is good.

Please take note.

Non rotor side
winspace_hub_front.jpg

Rotor side
winspace_hub_front2.jpg

NoS9

by NoS9

ongbenghui wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:30 am
ongbenghui wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:49 pm
NoS9 wrote:
ongbenghui wrote:
ie...
NSK 6903VV
NSK 6803VV
NTN 6903LLB
NTN 6803LLB
Hope this can be useful.

winspace_hub_rear2.jpg
Hi,

Thanks

I just check my front hub. Apparently, it looks like a 6903 on the Disc Rotor side, and 6803 on the other side.
I think Disc Hub got a bigger 6903 bearing on the rotor side, which is good.

Please take note.

Non rotor side

winspace_hub_front.jpg

Rotor side
winspace_hub_front2.jpg
I've got 50mm disc. I've only done ~6000km on them and planning to change the bearings around 10000+km.

So the front bearings are 6903 as well as 6803? Rear are 2 x 6903 - the Freehubs bearings are 6803?
Kinda confused as to what size bearing to buy now.

Anyone got pic/image of the bearings setup for the Disc wheels similar to the one for the Rim version?

Thanks.

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

This is the picture of the Front Hub axle and bearings from my Hyper 38 Disc.
winspace_hub_front.jpg
Hope it helps.

NoS9

by NoS9

ongbenghui wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:04 am
This is the picture of the Front Hub axle and bearings from my Hyper 38 Disc.

winspace_hub_front.jpg

Hope it helps.
Thanks - 3x6903 & 3x6803 for the whole wheelset (hopefull it's the same for all disc wheelset regardless of rim dept as mine are 50s...can't be ass dissassemble wheels to check). Got some spare now so hopefully wheels will last until the next set of bearings. :)

Shokster65

by Shokster65

Hi Joe @ChinaCycling. Sent you a couple of emails over the past week regarding shipment of wheels. If you could dig them out and let me know whats happening that would be great.
@clan-higgins

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Shokster65 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:29 am
Hi Joe @ChinaCycling. Sent you a couple of emails over the past week regarding shipment of wheels. If you could dig them out and let me know whats happening that would be great.
@clan-higgins
From Joe on Tues: I'm in Shanghai for the International Bike Show for this week, and the team back in Xiamen are on Mayday holiday. They'll be back in the office on the 6th and will then work on getting through the backlog of emails.

Neocat

by Neocat

Just got my Hyper 38 rims. Out of the box I noticed rusty-coloured bleed speckled the carbon weaves, a lot more on the rear wheel. Up close it looks plain fugly to me. I'm surprised no one mentioned this before.
3B5F60FB-265F-4B69-9EEF-83A1582AE327.jpeg
0DCBC5C7-9065-40CA-AA3A-D12066F541A4.jpeg
B5B10EAA-A619-42D7-A4B2-7A737187D537.jpeg
Winspace dismisses this as their 'secret sauce' which makes the resins highly temperature resistant. I wonder if this only applies to rim wheels because the disc version would be spared of such requirement. Can someone confirm?
6F5A89F5-C25D-4121-B3F5-0E1836D30161.jpeg
Also I can confirm the rear carbon spokes on the drive side touch each other, I can't slip a piece of paper in between. I hope this won't creak down the road. While not going to win on looks, all else good so far.

jmechy

by jmechy

Neocat wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:03 am
Winspace dismisses this as their 'secret sauce' which makes the resins highly temperature resistant. I wonder if this only applies to rim wheels because the disc version would be spared of such requirement. Can someone confirm?
I have the 50mm discs, they also have this, but to a lesser extent. On mine they mostly look like little blotches between weave sections, where yours look more like they are coming through the weave

Neocat

by Neocat

jmechy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:59 am
Neocat wrote:
I have the 50mm discs, they also have this, but to a lesser extent. On mine they mostly look like little blotches between weave sections, where yours look more like they are coming through the weave
Well, lucky you I suppose. Mine looks quite horrid. Not looking closely helps though. I doubt Hambini notices it at all :D

HenryH

by HenryH

How odd. Should at least be described on the homepage if that is something they consider "normal".

Usernamealex

by Usernamealex

I was reading these posts, and it looks like there are lots of issues with these wheels overall. Why would you guys choose these wheels over other, more reliable brands like Light Bicycles and Far Sports? They don't seem cheap enough to take the risk to deal with such hassles. Is there anything special about these wheels that I'm missing?

HenryH

by HenryH

Neocat wrote:
Also I can confirm the rear carbon spokes on the drive side touch each other, I can't slip a piece of paper in between. I hope this won't creak down the road. While not going to win on looks, all else good so far.
Cam Nicholls just uploaded a video on YouTube. Same issue. Spokes touching each other which quite probably have lead to creaking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com