Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Zorka

by Zorka

Hi, I almost have read all this thread (I am currently on page 56 :D ) and I am interested in Hyper 65 or 50 for my aero rim brake frame.
It´s been some time since the Winspace started production so I´d like to ask owners if I should go for it.
I am now riding Mavic´s CXR60 tubular which very fast and aero (with proprietary strips to reduce drag), but Mavic´s tyres aren´t that great so I´m thinking about moving to clinchers.

Taking into account Hambini´s 50kph wheel aero chart, my wheels produce 580w, Hyper 65s 586w and Hyper 50s 587w.
How does the lower rolling resistance translate to aero drag?

Do I get it right, that Hyper 65 wheels with clincher tyres with say 20w lower rolling resistance over my tubular Mavic tyres will be overall 14w faster than my CXR wheelset?

About the Hypers, I like the butterfly weave, but are Hypers 50 noticeably slower than Hypers 65 on flat courses?

Thanks a lot

RadB

by RadB

Had the 65s for around a year, recently retired/recess for them. They are fast for breaks and solos in crits, but they are also heavy, susceptible to crosswind and make my propel almost unrideable on fast descents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Hey. I recently had a double puncture after hiting a big pothole. I just now saw something that might be a crack. What do you think? There's the ones one outside and the second picture on the edge, there's a long kind of scratch but It seems like a bit of groove in the middle when you touch it.
63140C6E-A56A-4AAD-9F83-AE45F279E7FA.jpeg
28CEEF67-D693-4AC4-BFF7-AE2EB3C79640.jpeg
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yeah I wouldn’t ride that

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

robbosmans wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:26 pm
Yeah I'm sure now that it is. I can hear the crackling sound when I press on that area. Can that be fixed? There is a guy who fixes carbon frames here in Sweden. I wonder if the wheels can be fixed. Otherwise, can the spokes and hubs be salvaged somehow?
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:14 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Yeah I'm sure now that it is. I can hear the crackling sound when I press on that area. Can that be fixed? There is a guy who fixes carbon frames here in Sweden. I wonder if the wheels can be fixed. Otherwise, can the spokes and hubs be salvaged somehow?
No, it probably can't be fixed. Carbon repair is not really 'fixing' so much as it is making an area structurally sound by patching it - its a bandaid solution. Given the structure and function of that area, its hard to see a bandaide working well. Also be careful pressing - if you can hear it, that means you're making any existing damage worse.

If I were you I'd take the rim tape off to double check. Maybe try the coin test. And if you can confirm its cracked, then the rim probably needs to go in the bin. It's more cost effective and less risky just to buy a new rim from Winspace if they'll sell you one.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

zappafile123 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:16 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:14 pm
robbosmans wrote:
No, it probably can't be fixed. Carbon repair is not really 'fixing' so much as it is making an area structurally sound by patching it - its a bandaid solution. Given the structure and function of that area, its hard to see a bandaide working well. Also be careful pressing - if you can hear it, that means you're making any existing damage worse.

If I were you I'd take the rim tape off to double check. Maybe try the coin test. And if you can confirm its cracked, then the rim probably needs to go in the bin. It's more cost effective and less risky just to buy a new rim from Winspace if they'll sell you one.
Alright. That's what I suspected. I'll take the tape of but it doesn't seem like it went further from there. Either way, it is done for.

I'll have to ask Winspace if they can sell me a rim. Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation as me? I mean needing parts from Winspace? It would be nice if I could get my hands on a new 67 rear rim, and put a 28 on it, with 25 in the front. Otherwise I could use any other rim but it won't look nice.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

cannondale7om wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:53 am
I have been using the R45s for about 3 weeks now. Never used carbon spoke wheels before, the difference between my previous wheelset (Farsports C3) and these is huge. My 25mm GP5000 tires are easier to fit in the wider rims. ...
What´s the real width of these GP5000 in 25mm on the R45?
Thanks!

Zorka

by Zorka

RadB wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:44 am
Had the 65s for around a year, recently retired/recess for them. They are fast for breaks and solos in crits, but they are also heavy, susceptible to crosswind and make my propel almost unrideable on fast descents.
Thanks. Anyone else would give an advice? Keep CXR60 tubulars or to get Hyper 65 clinchers (or possibly Hyper 50) ?

eeney

by eeney

[/quote]
[/quote]

Not quite a direct answer, I don't have 5000s.

My Goodyear Eagle F1s 25mm clinchers measure 28.5mm @ 80psi.

cannondale7om

by cannondale7om

KalleWirsch wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:45 am
cannondale7om wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:53 am
I have been using the R45s for about 3 weeks now. Never used carbon spoke wheels before, the difference between my previous wheelset (Farsports C3) and these is huge. My 25mm GP5000 tires are easier to fit in the wider rims. ...
Thanks!
Here are the measurements:
Attachments
rear.jpg
front.jpg

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

Thank you!

Corfate

by Corfate

First ride on the r45's tonight.

First impressions is that the front wheel felt pretty twitchy in the wind and was noticeably more affected by the wind than the Vision metron that was on there previously (40mm)

Wheels also felt quite a bit more uncomfortable if that's the right word over bumps, I really felt like I felt every imperfection in the road.

Now that all sounds bad, but I have to say they felt mega quick and the comfort factor is something I'll get used to in time.

The rear wheel stiffness side to side is super minimal compared to the visions. They also sound ace when rolling along and the freehub sounds great.

Running 23mm gp4000s on them, and they do look noticeably fatter than I was expecting. Couldn't get anything bigger as the clearance on the chainstays is minimal as it is.

Took 15 days to arrive from order, I'm pretty pleased with them!

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I just wrote to them regarding a new rim. If I was able to get a new rim, would the local wheelbuilders be able to work with these carbon spokes? Sorry if it's a noob question but I'm not sure if they are fitted the same way as regular spokes.

They also have Pre Sale written on the D67 wheels, but the price is still 1300. Does anyone know what that's about? Are they gonna go on sale?
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

eeney

by eeney

Corfate wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:10 pm
First impressions is that the front wheel felt pretty twitchy in the wind and was noticeably more affected by the wind than the Vision metron that was on there previously (40mm)
Interesting, I came from 33mm alloyrims so wasn't sure if I should compare, but I did expect better wind handling with the R45s. I've even thought about buying a shallower front wheel for windy days. The wind impact isn't 'bad', but it does mean you have to be aware and can't relax too much.

However, I find they are very comfortable which is a difference in our experience, I'm running 25mm Goodyear F1s clinchers at ~80psi.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com