Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
CoastalRider

by CoastalRider

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:45 am
SixThirteen wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:17 am
CoastalRider wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:43 pm
Voss27 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:56 pm
I bought my 38mm rim Hypers a year ago, have over 3000km on them mostly in the mountains including the Maratona des Dolomites, and they are still running faultlessly. True, no spoke tension problems, no twisted spokes, I did add a tiny bit more grease to the freehub when checking it early on. Brake as well if not better then my main DT Swiss ARC 1400 62mm wheels. I run 25mm GP5000s on them and I am really very happy with how they perform, how they feel, and recommend them to everyone that asks.
Great to hear. I hope my experience will be similar.
I've now got 6500km on my 38/rim in about 10 months. Still true, roll well. I have to re-grease the freehub every few 1000 km (and I'll try not to lose the spacer next time). TBH not 100% convinced about the brake track, but time will tell.
Can you elaborate on the brake track? Are you talking about stopping power or durability?
I'm curious about this too. I don't normally do long descents, but this weekend as I was descending 1800ft of steep pitches and hairpins over 8 miles and 20+ minutes I wondered if the Hypers stand up to that or not?

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

CoastalRider wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:26 pm
HansZuDemFranz wrote:
SixThirteen wrote:
CoastalRider wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:43 pm

Great to hear. I hope my experience will be similar.
I've now got 6500km on my 38/rim in about 10 months. Still true, roll well. I have to re-grease the freehub every few 1000 km (and I'll try not to lose the spacer next time). TBH not 100% convinced about the brake track, but time will tell.
Can you elaborate on the brake track? Are you talking about stopping power or durability?
I'm curious about this too. I don't normally do long descents, but this weekend as I was descending 1800ft of steep pitches and hairpins over 8 miles and 20+ minutes I wondered if the Hypers stand up to that or not?
Stopping power is fine (only really tested in the dry), and held up well under fairly heavy braking while descending a 1000m descent with switchbacks - I'm ~84Kg.

The braking track surface has become a little pitted in places which you can feel if you run your fingers over it. I'll try and get a photo
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CoastalRider

by CoastalRider

SixThirteen wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:10 am
CoastalRider wrote:
HansZuDemFranz wrote:
SixThirteen wrote:

Stopping power is fine (only really tested in the dry), and held up well under fairly heavy braking while descending a 1000m descent with switchbacks - I'm ~84Kg.

The braking track surface has become a little pitted in places which you can feel if you run your fingers over it. I'll try and get a photo
Thanks for the response. That's reassuring. Are you using the stock brake pads?

Mine have actually arrived this week, though I'm out of town and won't get to inspect them until I get home in a few days. Winspace did me a solid and upgraded service to UPS from the standard free EMS service to the US. I hadn't expected them for another month or so.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

CoastalRider wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:26 am
SixThirteen wrote:
CoastalRider wrote:
HansZuDemFranz wrote:

Mine have actually arrived this week, though I'm out of town and won't get to inspect them until I get home in a few days. Winspace did me a solid and upgraded service to UPS from the standard free EMS service to the US. I hadn't expected them for another month or so.
Yes the supplied grey ones

brake track of front wheel

CoastalRider

by CoastalRider

SixThirteen wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:32 am
CoastalRider wrote:
SixThirteen wrote:
CoastalRider wrote:

That looks like the brake track resin has delaminated and peeled off in spots. Can you feel the texture of the carbon fiber in those areas? Is that normal or unexpected from rim brake carbon wheels?

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

CoastalRider wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:51 am
SixThirteen wrote:
CoastalRider wrote:
SixThirteen wrote:

That looks like the brake track resin has delaminated and peeled off in spots. Can you feel the texture of the carbon fiber in those areas? Is that normal or unexpected from rim brake carbon wheels?
Its unexpected to me. I have a discussion with Winspace on it

klozzle

by klozzle

Do winspace use proprietary hubs or are there other brand freehubs that will fit? I've to swap a SRAM XDr to Shimano and the total cost would be USD160 (60 for the hub, 100 for shipping) to the US. If I could get something local I would...

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

CoastalRider

by CoastalRider

Would you post an update when you resolve this with them?
SixThirteen wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:05 am
CoastalRider wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:51 am
SixThirteen wrote:
CoastalRider wrote:

Can you post an update when you resolve this with them?

It doesn't look good. Please follow up with how they handle it.

Its unexpected to me. I have a discussion with Winspace on it

miOdiO

by miOdiO

Just wanted to go for a quick after work spin. Checked my bike and I think the bearings are done for the front wheel.
Only used them in good weather and cleaned my bike like I always did. Did not expect the bearings to fail that fast (I got them early February so only went for a few rides so far).
Anyone with a similar experience?

I hope you can hear the problem:
https://youtube.com/shorts/6oaphcrR_S0

CoastalRider

by CoastalRider

Just got mine in and fitted with Enve SES 25 tubeless tires. Today was the first ride. 21 miles of quiet, pillowy riding compared to my previous alloy wheels and tires at 100psi.
R3+Hyper.jpg

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Update: nothing substantive back from Winspace. They asked for a load of photos which I sent.

I don't know of the wheels are considered safe to ride, so right now I'm not :-(

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

SixThirteen wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:38 pm
Update: nothing substantive back from Winspace. They asked for a load of photos which I sent.

I don't know of the wheels are considered safe to ride, so right now I'm not :-(
So after much delay, they say they will send a new wheel

Fingers crossed it arrives soon, and lasts longer than 6000km

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

good news at least!

the only thing is that it comes from china, takes for ever aha

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Well, a rim has arrived. Brake track looks different.

Seems I need to find a local wheelbuilder who will do a rebuild for me since they say they will refund the rebuild cost. Its proving tricky to find someone prepared to work with carbon spokes.

If I had known I'd have pressed for the whole wheel, even if I had to pay small $ to save this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elfuinha

by elfuinha

SixThirteen wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:30 am
Well, a rim has arrived. Brake track looks different.

Seems I need to find a local wheelbuilder who will do a rebuild for me since they say they will refund the rebuild cost. Its proving tricky to find someone prepared to work with carbon spokes.

If I had known I'd have pressed for the whole wheel, even if I had to pay small $ to save this.
Can you post a picture os the new Rim. thanks