Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:40 pm
You probably already know this but laying them out in the sun (yeah - probably not the time of year for that) or using a hair dryer can help. Also using soapy water, and lastly using a towel or gloves can help you mount tough tires without getting blisters. Continental GP5000's tend to be a bear on some rims though. I finally bought a tire mounting tool (Kool Stop) for use at home but I haven't had to use it yet.
Thanks, I didn't know that, but living in Sweden, no sun here🙂. Good tips otherwise.

I did use soapy water but that did almost nothing. I'm gonna order the Schwalbe fit mounting fluid and see if that helps.

The Kool Stop tool seems to work well but it seems like you have to clamp it to the other side of the rim and that will surely scratch the Hypers.

Gloves, hairdryer. I'll try that as well.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

By the way. My 65 discs weigh in at exactly 1610g. Claimed weight 1608g +- 3%, so that's spot on. Can't wait to see how they look on my Addict RC.

Does anyone have any pics of their bikes on 65 discs? When you search for pics on google, mostly the 50 come up. There's few pics of Hyper 65 on bikes.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Just curious why these became so popular, they obviously have done some clever marketing but they don’t seem that great when I compare them to other wheels in the same price range.
They are not that light, they are not that cheap.
So why would you go for them?

Mocs123

by Mocs123

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:09 pm
Just curious why these became so popular, they obviously have done some clever marketing but they don’t seem that great when I compare them to other wheels in the same price range.
I don't have the Hyper's yet but am considering them. First the 50mm rim brake version I am looking at is 1349g - that is pretty light for the depth, and secondly and the one thing that sets them apart from other wheels is they are very stiff. There is a reason that some WorldTour pro's buy Lightweight Meilenstein's with their own money for mountainous sections when they have team provided wheels available - yes they are light, but they do it because they are stiff. Winspace Hypers's aren't as stiff as Meilenstein's but they are also 1/7th of the price and are stiffer than just about any wheelset near their price range.

They aren't super cheap, but they are cheaper than Farsports carbon spoke wheel, Scribes carbon spoke wheel, or Hunts carbon spoke wheel. As far as I know they are the cheapest carbon spoke wheel on the market. The Hunt's use the same rim as the Winspace and I think the Scibe rim is very similar if not the same as well.

The downside is that they are narrow at 26mm wide. I'd much prefer a 27 or 27.5mm rim to flow better with 25mm tires (which often come out 26-26.5mm on 19mm internal rims). Or perhaps the stiffness that they offer isn't beneficial for the average rider? I have no data really telling me it is - I've just been taught that you want stiff, light, and aero.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

plunder

by plunder

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:09 pm
Which other options with better stats come to mind, within the same price range?

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I too am interested if you've found cheaper wheels with the same depth and lighter weight.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Farsports and Lightbicycle both have lighter options in the same price range for the same or similar depth, mainly in the disc segment

Ronin416

by Ronin416

robbosmans wrote:Just curious why these became so popular, they obviously have done some clever marketing but they don’t seem that great when I compare them to other wheels in the same price range.
A few reasons make them better than other current options at similar price points.

- weight - competitive with the best wheels on the market

- ceramic bearings - usually on higher priced wheels

- the deep profile of the aero bladed spoke, you can’t find this depth off the shelf. DT has one only reserved for their 80mm TT wheels not sold separately for wheel builds. These spokes just slice through the wind. I notice the acceleration on downhills to be faster than my SAPIN CXRay Rolfs (note Rolf has way less spokes)

- the stiffness is awesome! No wasted flex in the wheel and feel solid sprinting or cornering hard! You’re not getting that with the other wheels. But if you’re not a racer, probably doesn’t matter.

Yes the rim profile can be wider for a more ideal aero fit with 25mm. When it really comes down to maximizing aero gains, I switch to a 23mm front tire for Grand Fondos or easier longer courses. So that works out.

$1200 is cheaper than other carbon spokes wheels. Don’t compare HYPERS to cheap Amazon or EBays specials. Compare them against a Roval CLX and you’ll see it cheaper at the same weight range.

Steel aero spoke vs Hyper carbon spoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mocs123

by Mocs123

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:39 pm
Farsports and Lightbicycle both have lighter options in the same price range for the same or similar depth, mainly in the disc segment
Perhaps I'm missing it as I know Farsports is supposed to have some light wheels but on farsports.com I don't see any 50+mm wheels as light as the Winspace Hypers. Of course they don't seem to have 50mm but 45mm or 55mm instead.

Light Bicycle does have some options that light - I looked at a set of AR55's with Carbon Ti hubs that were 1333g. Of course I decided the 28mm width at the brake track might be too much for my brakes and they were a 11 week lead time.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Mocs123 wrote:
robbosmans wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing it as I know Farsports is supposed to have some light wheels but on farsports.com I don't see any 50+mm wheels as light as the Winspace Hypers. Of course they don't seem to have 50mm but 45mm or 55mm instead.

Light Bicycle does have some options that light - I looked at a set of AR55's with Carbon Ti hubs that were 1333g. Of course I decided the 28mm width at the brake track might be too much for my brakes and they were a 11 week lead time.
If it’s about rim width and tire size optimization, I say go with another brand. But if you can handle a tad of a bulge (also depends on the tire brand). HYPERS are in stock now.

Note: because you’re saving 2.6 grams per spoke vs steel spokes off of ROTATIONAL WEIGHT, you really feel the difference in acceleration. I doubt anyone can tell a 1500g wheelset to a 1650g on a climb. 1100 or 900g - now you’re talking, but a 100g - meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plunder

by plunder

robbosmans wrote:
I am not in the market of buying wheels for disc. But I was looking at both the AR55 and AR56 from light bicycle before ordering the hypers. Even with the Carbon-Ti hub, they weren't really any lighter. And while I like the 5mm deeper rim profile, aerodynamically the LB wheels don't seem to be any better than the hypers.
Even going with Sapim CX sprint spokes, rivaling the carbon spokes of the hypers is very unlikely.

In the end, adding shipping and taxes, the light bicycle build would have been more expansive. Even with 15% off around black friday, paying around 100€ more for the LB didn't feel like getting anywhere close the value for money.

What I really do like from LB is the customisation. Want internal nipples? Just ask. Different lacing? Just ask. Differnt decal design? Just ask. That's why I will probably get a LB build soon too. Then I might compare them ;)

robbosmans

by robbosmans

So I see the main argument is the stiffness, i get that.

The argument about the spokes being more aero doesn’t really hold up imo, because steels spokes are a lot thinner which is why they are less deep, the ticker the spoke the deeper it has te be to get a nice aerofoil shape.

They do seem to be more competitive in the rim brake range. Because on the disc side a Farsports Feder 35 = 1180g, 45 = 1210g comparing that to Hyper 38 = 1340g, 50 = 1425g and the Feders are 200$ cheaper.

You can’t also compare them to Roval Rapide clx’s those ar significantly lighter and wider.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

robbosmans wrote:Farsports and Lightbicycle both have lighter options in the same price range for the same or similar depth, mainly in the disc segment
But you wont have the same stiffness and ceramic bearings

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Hunt has a blog post where they test the difference in stiffness between a steel and a carbon spoke, they only measured a 6% difference which isn’t a lot.

Anyway I get it now why people buy these

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

ceramic bearing is all marketing bs... carbon spokes are not though