Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mrloop

by mrloop

jzinckgra wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:04 pm
His email bounced back as "undeliverable" a week ago when Ava, the woman I have been working with cc'd his name. If you can't get through to Charles, try Ava, ava@winspace.cc
Thank you so much jzinckgra, got a very prompt reply from Ava. There's a delay dispatch for Lún wheels as well as the Hypers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brumbar

by brumbar

Hello,
do you know if the Hyper wheels have a campagnolo freehub option, like Lun wheels? I can not find this information in the Winspace website.
Also - do you think it is safe for 75 kg rider to descent with the rim brake Hyper wheels on a 3 km downhill with 15% gradient, where brakes are used all the time? Will the heat can damage the resin on the braking tracks? As i understand they used heat resistanse resin, but if someone have an experiance in such situation, please share your opinion.

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

brumbar wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:55 pm
Hello,
do you know if the Hyper wheels have a campagnolo freehub option, like Lun wheels? I can not find this information in the Winspace website.
Also - do you think it is safe for 75 kg rider to descent with the rim brake Hyper wheels on a 3 km downhill with 15% gradient, where brakes are used all the time? Will the heat can damage the resin on the braking tracks? As i understand they used heat resistanse resin, but if someone have an experiance in such situation, please share your opinion.
it really depends on how you break and the traffic condition. but for a piece of mind, you are better off with disk or alloy rims.

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

brumbar wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:55 pm
Hello,
Yes, there is a campy option :)

75kg is no problem for most situations, but as others have said, it will depend how you do it. The HYPERs will resist heat as well as or better than any other carbon-braking surface wheel out there. But the reason the main brands don't do rim brakes any more is because there is a physical limit. If I remember correctly the HYPER resin is rated up to 240'c ? I'm not sure how tires, sealant, or innertubes would behave at 240'c though, so...don't wanna find out the hard way. I'm yet to see a HYPER delaminate outside of the testing lab, but this may also be because the average HYPER customer is usually quite an experienced rider and knows how to manage rim brakes.

brumbar

by brumbar

@ ChinaCycling @cloud9blue
Thank you for the answers.
PS We have a very steep climb in our region and the road is not very good so fast descending without using brakes all the time is impossible. So i just will skip that climb :D

botacalor

by botacalor

For people with hyper 38, sensations about that? Good on cross winds and sprinting? I rarely cruise more than 40km/h so maybe will feel no difference with 50mm and 38.
I like good wheels for climbing and that allow to change speed quick.

I have other options: dura ace clincher r9100 c40 or roval clx32 with less than 1000 km in the same range of prices :roll:

U24

by U24

So it's been very windy here where I live (weather app says 20kph winds) and I used my Hyper 50mm to go up and down a mountain and I was terrified for my life on the descents. I'm around 54kg and I was going downhill at around 68kph and it was sketchy AF. I don't know if my 23mm deep alloy wheels or Hyper 38's would have fared better since I have no experience on using them in the same conditions but yeah. I felt like I was a kite the entire ride. Near the end I just gave up on descending at max speed and just went super slow because it was getting dangerous.

For those more experienced riders, is it going to be the same no matter how deep the wheel is? There's just a point where the wind is just too much to ride ANY bike?

rlanger

by rlanger

I'm about 73kg and riding the 38s without any issues in the wind.

It's often quite windy where I live which is why I opted for the 38s, as I mentioned in one of my original posts.

Coming up on a year with my Hypers now and still love them as much as when I first got them. Performance, as many have stated, is outstanding, and they are quite easy to live with using Conti TL5000.

Tires go on and off extremely easily. In fact, I can usually get them on the rim by hand, albeit wearing my mechanic's gloves. And, they seat with just my regular track pump.

I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

rlanger wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:39 pm
I'm about 73kg and riding the 38s without any issues in the wind.

It's often quite windy where I live which is why I opted for the 38s, as I mentioned in one of my original posts.

Coming up on a year with my Hypers now and still love them as much as when I first got them. Performance, as many have stated, is outstanding, and they are quite easy to live with using Conti TL5000.

Tires go on and off extremely easily. In fact, I can usually get them on the rim by hand, albeit wearing my mechanic's gloves. And, they seat with just my regular track pump.

I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.
Wanted to ask if you are in rim or disc. Realised you on the rim brakes. How the braking like?

rlanger

by rlanger

Helmetbox wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:10 am
Wanted to ask if you are in rim or disc. Realised you on the rim brakes. How the braking like?
Breaking is excellent. Just as good as my aloy Fulcrum Racing Zeros.

timmerrr

by timmerrr

U24 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:49 am
So it's been very windy here where I live (weather app says 20kph winds) and I used my Hyper 50mm to go up and down a mountain and I was terrified for my life on the descents. I'm around 54kg and I was going downhill at around 68kph and it was sketchy AF. I don't know if my 23mm deep alloy wheels or Hyper 38's would have fared better since I have no experience on using them in the same conditions but yeah. I felt like I was a kite the entire ride. Near the end I just gave up on descending at max speed and just went super slow because it was getting dangerous.

For those more experienced riders, is it going to be the same no matter how deep the wheel is? There's just a point where the wind is just too much to ride ANY bike?
I ride LB AR56s every day of the week at 70kg, I hit 100kph on a downhill in Ga a few weeks ago on a blustery day. Running 25mm veloflex corsa on the front so the tire/rim interface is pretty ideal. What size tires are you running? If the tire is much wider than the brake track you may have increased issues with crosswind performance.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

U24

by U24

timmerrr wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:56 pm
U24 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:49 am

I ride LB AR56s every day of the week at 70kg, I hit 100kph on a downhill in Ga a few weeks ago on a blustery day. Running 25mm veloflex corsa on the front so the tire/rim interface is pretty ideal. What size tires are you running? If the tire is much wider than the brake track you may have increased issues with crosswind performance.
25mm GP5000 clinchers and I also put in silicone in the rim interface/cavity so airflow on the wheel should be as good as it can be.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

my hyper 38s shipped yesterday.

botacalor

by botacalor

jzinckgra wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:03 pm
my hyper 38s shipped yesterday.
When you bought that? :beerchug:

Voss27

by Voss27

My 38s also shipped yesterday, ordered on the 25th of March