Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pradimtyo

by pradimtyo

SixThirteen wrote:
CoastalRider wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:40 am
SixThirteen wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:30 am
Well, a rim has arrived. Brake track looks different.

Seems I need to find a local wheelbuilder who will do a rebuild for me since they say they will refund the rebuild cost. Its proving tricky to find someone prepared to work with carbon spokes.

If I had known I'd have pressed for the whole wheel, even if I had to pay small $ to save this.
thanks for keeping this updated. Glad to know that they sent the replacement and cover the rebuild. Hopefully you'll be able to get someone to get you back out on the road asap.

I was surprised when mine arrived that the brake track almost looks flush with the rest of the wheel. That is, it doesn't look like there's much more material than the rest of the wheel. The stopping distance and power doesn't seem any different than with my previous alloy rims. I've only put about 500km on them so far, and they're everything I'd hoped they would be at this point.
Well its been a bit of a saga, but a wheel with a new rim arrived...

As you recall, they sent just a rim, but I couldn't find anyone locally who was prepared to rebuild a wheel made with carbon spokes. They said to send the old wheels ansthe replacement rim to Cairns in Northern Queensland, which I did.

About a week later a wheel arrived. First ride the other day, seems OK so far.

The texture of the brake track on this new one looks very similar to my Roval CLXs
Can you post a photo of the new brake tracks ? I think mine have the same problem on the rear wheels, i had these wheels about 6 monthImage

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:12 pm
trailgumby wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:13 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:59 am
Only way to do this then would be to get a pair of the cheaper Lun wheels as a second wheelset.
That could be a workable option. Ask them - they have a native English speaker on customer support apparently. TEll them what you just told me above and ask for their advice.
I have already been in contact with them, great customer service. Will have to ask about that. That would actually be a great idea to get a pair of light more shallow carbon wheels for endurance. I'll have to see about that in the future.
Quoting myself here. I would rather have wider wheels as a second set for endurance and wider tires. So the Lun are 19/26. Same as the Hypers.

What do you guys think about the Grapids instead, for road? They are 25mm inner and 32 outer. Would that work on an Addict RC with 28, or possibly even 30? Would that be a good idea?

I'm seeing the comments about new wheels with 21-29 coming out. But I guess those would be in the more expensive range.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I run 25 right now on my Hyper 65's. Would I be losing any significant aero going to 28? Don't they claim they are aero optimized for 25-28? But 28's which inflates a bit wider would be quite a bit wider than the rim. Even 25's are on the limit.

And don't ask me if I race or why do I care.🙂 I'm just wondering.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:12 pm
trailgumby wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:13 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:59 am
Only way to do this then would be to get a pair of the cheaper Lun wheels as a second wheelset.
That could be a workable option. Ask them - they have a native English speaker on customer support apparently. TEll them what you just told me above and ask for their advice.
I have already been in contact with them, great customer service. Will have to ask about that. That would actually be a great idea to get a pair of light more shallow carbon wheels for endurance. I'll have to see about that in the future.
Quoting myself here. I would rather have wider wheels as a second set for endurance and wider tires. So the Lun are 19/26. Same as the Hypers.

What do you guys think about the Grapids instead, for road? They are 25mm inner and 32 outer. Would that work on an Addict RC with 28, or possibly even 30? Would that be a good idea?

I'm seeing the comments about new wheels with 21-29 coming out. But I guess those would be in the more expensive range.
Let’s see in 5 days what they come out with and how much they cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martocom

by martocom

New Wheels are online at the Lun Wheels Store:
https://www.lunwheels.cc/product-catego ... ls/page/2/

100$ Price increase to 1300$, however the detailled product page is password protected.

martocom

by martocom

Okay, the "Quick View" with all informations is not password protected:

D33: 35mm F+R, 1330 gr, 21 int/27,6 ext
D45: 46F/54R, 1421 gr, 21 int/27,6 ext
D67: 60F/68R, 1515 gr, 21 int/28,5 ext

R33: 35mm F+R, 1229 gr, 21 int/27,6 ext
R45: 46F/54R, 1332 gr, 21 int/27,6 ext
R67: 60F/68R, 1418 gr, 21 int/28,5 ext

Jz91

by Jz91

Not very happy about the update...

I would have liked to see the D45 at around the 1350g mark or less...

With the Elite wheels coming in strong I might decide to get those instead tbh

martocom

by martocom

Same.
Wished they were either lighter or wider.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

martocom wrote:Same.
Wished they were either lighter or wider.
There’s a logical tipping point. Keep in mind “wider” = more carbon material, usually doesn’t result in “lighter”.

As long as the external is around 28mm, I’m good. I don’t need wider than that. As wider = slower.

The wider wheels on the market seem more ideal for recreational riders or people who want to throw on some 34mm and do “mixed terrain rides”.

Jz91

by Jz91

Absolutely, the wider trend has gone nuts IMO.

Zipp 303s' internal width (25mm) is the same of mine XC wheelset tyres.

21mm I can still work with. This is why I would have liked the hyper 45 to be around 1350g to rival the Vision wheelset. It seems from above they're doing different depths but I doubt you can go much below 1400g with 46f and rear.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Jz91 wrote:Absolutely, the wider trend has gone nuts IMO.

Zipp 303s' internal width (25mm) is the same of mine XC wheelset tyres.

21mm I can still work with. This is why I would have liked the hyper 45 to be around 1350g to rival the Vision wheelset. It seems from above they're doing different depths but I doubt you can go much below 1400g with 46f and rear.
You’re correct, it’s getting silly wide. The Zipps are literally internal width of gravel wheels.

The Elites make up the weight savings in their hub design. But imho that hub flange design concerns me.

I’d much rather have a bomb proof hub and bomb proof carbon rim (I know this from riding the current HYPERS and friends as well - double flatting from slamming into potholes in the dark, the rim - untouched and still true!

Now if someone made some titanium axles, I’d be down with that to save weight!

eric01

by eric01

New hyper 2023 wheels up on website but out of stock.

https://www.winspace.cc/hyper-r45-rim-b ... elset.html

Lighter and wider. Although cheating a bit to go from 38mm rim depth to 35mm.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

AnthonyE

by AnthonyE

I personally like the update. Ever so slightly wider without going crazy like everyone else in the market. And weights are still very competitive. There is a point where they cannot safely go much lighter and still maintain the price point, safety, and stiffness. For the $1300 price tag and still maintain a hook they still come in relatively light weight. Unless they start using really high mod (really expensive) carbon fiber I can't see how they can get too much lighter. Overall I think they have done a great job and I don't mind the idea of different depths for the front and rear. IMO, this does really help with crosswind stability once you get into the 50mm heights. It doesn't help much with more aero but there is a balance. I will probably be pulling the trigger on this new revision in the near future.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Question with the update - I've got a set of single mount G4 eeBrakes which are rated to a max of 28mm rim width. Does anyone know if thats a hard or a soft maximum? I wouldn't mind getting a set of the Hyper 67s which are 28.5 mm. Not sure if that extra 0.5mm is just not going to work. Appreciate that it might work with some slightly worn down pads...
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3