Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
HenryH

by HenryH

Usernamealex wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:15 pm
I was reading these posts, and it looks like there are lots of issues with these wheels overall. Why would you guys choose these wheels over other, more reliable brands like Light Bicycles and Far Sports? They don't seem cheap enough to take the risk to deal with such hassles. Is there anything special about these wheels that I'm missing?
Is this true?

I can't seem to have seen "lots of issues" with these wheels. You would expect those that have issues to be vocal about them though (even if that is true for the other brands you mention as well of course).

There might be a risk that Winspace have no become so popular that it influences the care they take during the build of course.

So far the only thing that has come up recently that worries me is creaking spokes. That would be a disappointment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Voss27

by Voss27

I have a set of DTSwiss ARC 1400s that came with my bike. From the first 100km I had creaking when out of the saddle and climbing up steep gradients. Anything above 400W in a high gear and therefore high torque caused it. 400-500W or more on flat roads in a low gear where the torque is much lower there was no creaking. Tracked it down to spoke rub, which I sorted with a bit of chain lube at the cross over spot. No big deal, easily fixed and a very common issue. Over 4000km later the wheels are still quite and run great.

My new Hyper 38 wheels after 500km still run perfectly silent and have so far been issue free. I know spoke rub could happen but it's an easy fix. Nothing to worry about.

A friend of mine has the new Roval Rapide CLX wheels on his Tarmac SL6 disc and after 1000km or so his wheels creak like crazy and he has constant rotor rub issues too. No wheel manufacturer is perfect and lots of small issues exist on all bikes.

I have recommended the Hyper wheels to many friends already, I am very happy with them and think they are agreat product at a great price.

HenryH

by HenryH

Good post. Not to suggest buyers shouldn't be critical of the product they are purchasing, but so far I haven't seen anything that suggest there is much of a problem with Winspace. And I did spend quite some time looking for issues before ordering mine (which have just left their third airport or something :D).

Neocat

by Neocat

HenryH wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:00 pm
Neocat wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:03 am
Also I can confirm the rear carbon spokes on the drive side touch each other, I can't slip a piece of paper in between. I hope this won't creak down the road. While not going to win on looks, all else good so far.
Cam Nicholls just uploaded a video on YouTube. Same issue. Spokes touching each other which quite probably have lead to creaking.
Thanks for the heads up. Look forward on updates from Nicholls regarding this. Electrical tapes now eh? Thanks Voss27 for the tip :thumbup:

I can understand that cosmetics could be a non-issue for some but still good to share so that potential buyer can make informed decision and at the same time Winspace to take note and improve their product. My wheels look nothing like the ones shown on their website:
EFE54BAD-E619-4950-91D0-321ED0B94D6E.jpeg
@Usernamealex Well, a good word by Hambini did helped some. Make no mistake these are indeed fast wheels.

Gwcman

by Gwcman

Mcdeez wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:31 pm
Gwcman wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:26 pm
Gwcman wrote:
As of yesterday (saturday May 1) I have put 744kms on my wheels, they feel great and I've had a few people ask about them, no complaints.
I think I just started experiencing the same clicking as Mcdeez, I've only rode them in clean dry weather so far. And no issues of creaks/squeaks that I can tell of spokes rubbing together.

I recall Hambini recently did a vid taking apart the rear hub to clean, MCdeez, did you just follow that process to re-grease the pawls?

Cheers,
Ive put electric tape between spokes to se if they are rubbing, and no they are not.

The procedure to remove the hub is like in hanbini video yes, just pull the cups for the thrus axel and you can pull the free hub by hand, thats it!
Thanks, kinda thought so, just thought I'd ask to be certain.

I just did a search around YouTube, this is exactly the sound I'm getting in this vid, is this what you were experiencing as well? -

Not sure exactly when I"ll get to taking it apart and lubing it as I don't have the necessary tools and in 3rd wave lockdown here in Toronto till May 20th. Hopefully that cures it and just a requires some cleaning now and again.

Cheers,
It was exactly this sound!
My LBS did me a solid as it turned out they were open for drop-offs. I told them what was required, just to add a little grease to the pawls, so they did. I won't be able to tell if it solved the issue till tomorrow (Saturday) as I have a 4hr ride but will be sure to advise. When I asked what it looked like inside, he said it looked fine, exactly like he'd expect it to look. Time will tell.

Cheers,

HenryH

by HenryH

Neocat wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:25 pm
HenryH wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:00 pm
Neocat wrote:
Also I can confirm the rear carbon spokes on the drive side touch each other, I can't slip a piece of paper in between. I hope this won't creak down the road. While not going to win on looks, all else good so far.
Cam Nicholls just uploaded a video on YouTube. Same issue. Spokes touching each other which quite probably have lead to creaking.
Thanks for the heads up. Look forward on updates from Nicholls regarding this. Electrical tapes now eh? Thanks Voss27 for the tip :thumbup:

I can understand that cosmetics could be a non-issue for some but still good to share so that potential buyer can make informed decision and at the same time Winspace to take note and improve their product. My wheels look nothing like the ones shown on their website:

EFE54BAD-E619-4950-91D0-321ED0B94D6E.jpeg
@Usernamealex Well, a good word by Hambini did helped some. Make no mistake these are indeed fast wheels.
I would like to modify my earlier statement. I agree with the bolded part.

If this from Winspace´s point of view is considered "normal" then it should a) be clearly stated on the homepage and b) it should be defined to what extent one could potential expect to see the kinds of "markings" that we see on yours. Especially since they sell the 50mm as a beautiful wheel with that butterfly pattern of whatever they call it.

And it is disappointing if they are doing nothing to sort out the situation - as it is not up to them to decide if you bought the wheels partly because of their looks or not.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

SixThirteen wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:58 am
My 38 rim arrived today, took 11 days from despatch to my door.
First ride today. PR on a local climb, 2nd best time on another and it would have been a better time except a bus was picking up passengers. Anecdata is best kind of data.

I've got the pads set pretty close, closer than I could with my Flo wheels, and no rub at all. Braking was fine in the dry, and didn't get that jet engine noise some rims/pads give. No squeeling either.

Spokes aren't rubbing, wheels are true.

So far so good!

Six13
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

SixThirteen wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:55 am
SixThirteen wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:58 am
My 38 rim arrived today, took 11 days from despatch to my door.
First ride today. PR on a local climb, 2nd best time on another and it would have been a better time except a bus was picking up passengers. Anecdata is best kind of data.

I've got the pads set pretty close, closer than I could with my Flo wheels, and no rub at all. Braking was fine in the dry, and didn't get that jet engine noise some rims/pads give. No squeeling either.

Spokes aren't rubbing, wheels are true.

So far so good!

Six13
In case anyone is wondering about tyre width, a Conti 4000 23mm is 25.82mm and a Conti 4000 25mm is 28.30mm when fitted. Based on that could probably just run 23s since Winspace say optimised for 25mm tyres. My rims measured 26.10mm, so based on that using the 105% rule the best tyre would be about 24.85mm.
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

HenryH

by HenryH

Cool. Thanks.

I´m setting mine up with 25mm tubeless (5000). Will be interesting to see how wide they are - and if I would go smaller next time around.

Atoms

by Atoms

Been lurking for a while, looking for some new wheels. I ordered some disc 38 hypers which arrived this week. The rims look terrible, with brown patches all over the wheel, particular the rears.

Winspace have sent me the same copy and pasted excuse, high temperature resin, special sauce, high brake surface temperature (despite being disc rims), nothing wrong with the wheels etc.

To some this may not matter, but none of the wheels look like this on the website or the ones sent out to test. To me it suggests an unstable production process - can anyone confirm whether these sort of patches indicate more than a cosmetic issue?

Neocat wrote:
Just got my Hyper 38 rims. Out of the box I noticed rusty-coloured bleed speckled the carbon weaves, a lot more on the rear wheel. Up close it looks plain fugly to me. I'm surprised no one mentioned this before.3B5F60FB-265F-4B69-9EEF-83A1582AE327.jpeg0DCBC5C7-9065-40CA-AA3A-D12066F541A4.jpegB5B10EAA-A619-42D7-A4B2-7A737187D537.jpeg
Winspace dismisses this as their 'secret sauce' which makes the resins highly temperature resistant. I wonder if this only applies to rim wheels because the disc version would be spared of such requirement. Can someone confirm? 6F5A89F5-C25D-4121-B3F5-0E1836D30161.jpeg Also I can confirm the rear carbon spokes on the drive side touch each other, I can't slip a piece of paper in between. I hope this won't creak down the road. While not going to win on looks, all else good so far.
Attachments
AB8C5DFF-AA92-4434-8142-2B39A27F7363.jpeg
699DF4A4-D41E-461D-B26F-2E451EC6D054.jpeg
F43B7E2B-F793-44EA-B6D3-5E229E1F4DB0.jpeg
E4BA76DE-1CC4-4E42-9F3F-581100A214B1.jpeg

HenryH

by HenryH

Anyone know if this has been reported before? It seems odd that we now got two people on here which have been given wheels like this while I cannot remember having seen it before. With the amount of wheels they have sold if this was "normal" you would expect to find wheels from 6 months back, 12 months back etc with the same issues?

Oms

by Oms

Hiya... noob here.

Just ordered the 50mm rim versions. At 200g lighter than my '16 Ksyrium Elites, I'm sure they'll be an improvement on many levels (I don't brake much). Question: Might I have a chance keeping up with my buddy on his 'dentist' bike now? 🤣

Was hoping to get hold of a T1300 frame too, but no luck (suggestions welcome). Currently riding a Dolan L'Etape at 7.85kg including bottle cages & pedals (can't seem to get an ideal position on it, plus I want to save a bit of weight whilst I'm at it).

Best regards.

Neocat

by Neocat

Atoms wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:40 am
Been lurking for a while, looking for some new wheels. I ordered some disc 38 hypers which arrived this week. The rims look terrible, with brown patches all over the wheel, particular the rears.

Winspace have sent me the same copy and pasted excuse, high temperature resin, special sauce, high brake surface temperature (despite being disc rims), nothing wrong with the wheels etc.

To some this may not matter, but none of the wheels look like this on the website or the ones sent out to test. To me it suggests an unstable production process - can anyone confirm whether these sort of patches indicate more than a cosmetic issue?
There you go, terrible looking ain't it? Seems only 38's rim and disc are affected thus far.

Joe of Winspace is here. @ChinaCycling perhaps you can shed some light?

Gwcman

by Gwcman

Atoms wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:40 am

Neocat wrote:
Just got my Hyper 38 rims. Out of the box I noticed rusty-coloured bleed speckled the carbon weaves, a lot more on the rear wheel. Up close it looks plain fugly to me. I'm surprised no one mentioned this before.3B5F60FB-265F-4B69-9EEF-83A1582AE327.jpeg0DCBC5C7-9065-40CA-AA3A-D12066F541A4.jpegB5B10EAA-A619-42D7-A4B2-7A737187D537.jpeg
Winspace dismisses this as their 'secret sauce' which makes the resins highly temperature resistant. I wonder if this only applies to rim wheels because the disc version would be spared of such requirement. Can someone confirm? 6F5A89F5-C25D-4121-B3F5-0E1836D30161.jpeg Also I can confirm the rear carbon spokes on the drive side touch each other, I can't slip a piece of paper in between. I hope this won't creak down the road. While not going to win on looks, all else good so far.

Looks to me like it could just be the angle at which you're looking at it and the lighting, mine look fine until I look at them at a certain angle and the lighting hit them a certain way.

Cheers,

dacian

by dacian

To all folks out there with tha strange stains, I have them too, It did not bothered so much, they are visible only on certain angles. I have the 50 mm rim, I'm convinced that all rims with this buterfly layer have them. Most likely it's the resin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com