Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
skip5891

by skip5891

Which brake pads do you guys recommend for the rim brake version?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ronin416

by Ronin416

skip5891 wrote:Which brake pads do you guys recommend for the rim brake version?
Use up the ones that came with them and after that I ended up using Swisstop Black Prince.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Ronin416 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:44 pm
skip5891 wrote:Which brake pads do you guys recommend for the rim brake version?
Use up the ones that came with them and after that I ended up using Swisstop Black Prince.

After asking, I got the blue Lifeline ones from Wiggle. Work as well as the ones supplied. Cost effective too
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Hey guys, i want to replace the bearings on my hyper 50 disc wheels, what model or part number for them and where i can order them?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Thanks!

RolandZA

by RolandZA

This is my initial Review of my winspace hyper 65 rim brake wheels. My wheels arrived in a week, with FedEx , to South Africa, This was my first ever set of Shiny new Carbon rims,they were so pretty I didn't wanna use them , but eventually I got over myself, and set them up with my old tyres and inner tubes, I did this because I wanted a fair initial impression between these wheels and my old Giant PA-2 wheels.
. I did weigh the hypers, the front wheel with rim tape and valves was 635g ,the rear wheel weighed 815g , giving a total weight of 1450g which is on the light side , please note I did use a digital fish scale , so it might be a bit off, but my old wheels weighed 1800g with the same scale,which matches giants specifications exactly so I don't think it's to far off...
The finish of the wheels is really good , they run true no more than half a mm out.
The braking in dry conditions is good , about the same as my alloy wheels , I even did some emergency braking when a car turned in front of me and I had to slammed the brakes , it stopped very nicely. I haven't tested wet braking.
Tyre mounting was easy, with maxxis Persuer ,but these were my old tyres so, that's to be expected. When I do my update review I'll share my experiences mounting the gp5000 TL

So far no creaking, as reported by others, also there is no rubbing between spokes , as others have reported there is a clear air gap between crossing spokes ,
I assume Winspace has fixed most of the issues with the early models ...

The other thing I've heard people complain about is the cross wind stability. Honestly I've had no issues controlling these wheels, I do feel the wind pushing me sometimes but it's not like it throws the front wheel out from under you.

I always used to think stiffness was just a bunch of marketing B.S , but with these wheels I really do feel a tangeble difference. When you put down the power you just feel the bike rolling forward Instantly.
I went for a max effort sprint and recorded my highest power in over a year, of 932watts, my previous max efforts were around 890watts with the old wheels.
So it does look like the stiffness allows you to transfer more power to the pedals.

The speed
To test the speed I did 8 laps around a circular test loop, which is 1.77km long so it was about a 21min effort at 250watts in the aero position with my forearms on the hoods.
My weight is 63kg.
With the hypers 65s my average speed was 40.46 km/h and with the giant pa-2 wheels my average speed was about 39.62km/h that's about a 0.8km/h speed increase. Keep in mind I used the exact same tyres and tubes which I transferred from one rim to the other.

Overall I'm very happy with my wheels , I plan on doing a follow up review , were I test the climbing performance ,the long term durability,and also want to test out the GP5000 TL.
Attachments
My Giant propel with the deep hypers
My Giant propel with the deep hypers

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

I've started getting freehub drag ie you stop pedalling but the freehub doesn't spin freely.

I removed the freehub and cleaned and greased everything. No change.

Anything else to try?

Six13

RolandZA

by RolandZA

Ronin416 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:07 pm
robbosmans wrote:Just curious why these became so popular, they obviously have done some clever marketing but they don’t seem that great when I compare them to other wheels in the same price range.
They are not that light, they are not that cheap.
So why would you go for them?
A few reasons make them better than other current options at similar price points.

- weight - competitive with the best wheels on the market

- ceramic bearings - usually on higher priced wheels

- the deep profile of the aero bladed spoke, you can’t find this depth off the shelf. DT has one only reserved for their 80mm TT wheels not sold separately for wheel builds. These spokes just slice through the wind. I notice the acceleration on downhills to be faster than my SAPIN CXRay Rolfs (note Rolf has way less spokes)

- the stiffness is awesome! No wasted flex in the wheel and feel solid sprinting or cornering hard! You’re not getting that with the other wheels. But if you’re not a racer, probably doesn’t matter.

Yes the rim profile can be wider for a more ideal aero fit with 25mm. When it really comes down to maximizing aero gains, I switch to a 23mm front tire for Grand Fondos or easier longer courses. So that works out.

$1200 is cheaper than other carbon spokes wheels. Don’t compare HYPERS to cheap Amazon or EBays specials. Compare them against a Roval CLX and you’ll see it cheaper at the same weight range.

Steel aero spoke vs Hyper carbon spoke

I have the hyper 65s , they live up to the hype in my opinion, they are stiff and fast. I have done a full review of them now to answer the questions I had when considering buying these wheels for myself.

MC356

by MC356

From what I have expereice first hand with the Hypers (50mm rim brake) I had and what I have seen people saying about them is this:
-Seems like a lot of people really do like these wheels and they have no issues.
-I had nothing but issues with my set, twisting/rotation spokes (had to get them fix at local bike shop 2 times, $200+ pissed away), much slower feeling than other wheels ive had and tested.

So I believe there may have been a bad batch or 2 of Hypers, I unfourtantly got a bad set. However I also believe if they offered differnt hub options like dt-swiss the wheels would be a lot better. I too noticed my freehub had a lot og drag. Maybe from the 6 paws? Who knows but I sent my Hypers back and got a set of Vision Metron 55sl for almost the same price and its amazing how much better and faster my bike feels.

Remember im not say all Hypers are as bad as mine but I unfourtantly got a crap set which leads me to believe that Winspace may have paid for some positive reviews from youtubers, thats the way marketing is done now...just my 2 cents ;)
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

Ronin416

by Ronin416

MC356 wrote:From what I have expereice first hand with the Hypers (50mm rim brake) I had and what I have seen people saying about them is this:
-Seems like a lot of people really do like these wheels and they have no issues.
-I had nothing but issues with my set, twisting/rotation spokes (had to get them fix at local bike shop 2 times, $200+ pissed away), much slower feeling than other wheels ive had and tested.

So I believe there may have been a bad batch or 2 of Hypers, I unfourtantly got a bad set. However I also believe if they offered differnt hub options like dt-swiss the wheels would be a lot better. I too noticed my freehub had a lot og drag. Maybe from the 6 paws? Who knows but I sent my Hypers back and got a set of Vision Metron 55sl for almost the same price and its amazing how much better and faster my bike feels.

Remember im not say all Hypers are as bad as mine but I unfourtantly got a crap set which leads me to believe that Winspace may have paid for some positive reviews from youtubers, thats the way marketing is done now...just my 2 cents ;)
Sounds like you did get a bad batch based on the amount of wheels they sell.

But to make an accusation of “paying for positive reviews” is a useless and backhanded “assumption” on your part.

I understand you may be bummed from your experience and expenses but let’s all refrain making statements without proof.

MC356

by MC356

Ronin416 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:22 am
MC356 wrote:From what I have expereice first hand with the Hypers (50mm rim brake) I had and what I have seen people saying about them is this:

But to make an accusation of “paying for positive reviews” is a useless and backhanded “assumption” on your part.

I understand you may be bummed from your experience and expenses but let’s all refrain making statements without proof.

Well not directly pay for good reviews but if a company tells a content creator that we will give your views a discount code and if they use it you will get a little kick back why wouldn't a content creator only say great things about that product. I'm not 100% sure this is happening but would not be surpised. And I'm sure this happens in all industries, not just our little cycling bubble.
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

Ronin416

by Ronin416

MC356 wrote:
Ronin416 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:22 am

Well not directly pay for good reviews but if a company tells a content creator that we will give your views a discount code and if they use it you will get a little kick back why wouldn't a content creator only say great things about that product. I'm not 100% sure this is happening but would not be surpised. And I'm sure this happens in all industries, not just our little cycling bubble.
That’s a good point and we’d have to figure out the actual facts being presented vs what the vlogger’s experience is.

Vloggers put their credibility on the line when they offer codes. So doing so has some truth for products as they’re willing to risk their reputation. The rest we don’t believe anyways…

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

SixThirteen wrote:I've started getting freehub drag ie you stop pedalling but the freehub doesn't spin freely.

Anything else to try?

Six13
Check your freehub bearings, they are probably djammed

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Mcdeez wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:13 am
SixThirteen wrote:I've started getting freehub drag ie you stop pedalling but the freehub doesn't spin freely.

Anything else to try?

Six13
Check your freehub bearings, they are probably djammed

Seems I had lost the spacer between the freehub body and the wheel hub. LBS replaced, cleaned it all up and seems good as new - just waiting for it to stop raining to take them back out. Have no idea how I lost the spacer :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com