Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Sbassios

by Sbassios

Mcdeez wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:27 pm
Sbassios wrote:Hello,
I would like to ask as i am new to disc brakes..at this moment my bike has 6bolt rotor,with the hyper i will need centre lock or i can fit the 6bolt?
You need to buy new discs probably, i dont think they make 6 bolts dics
If i order centerlock adapter to use it with my new 6bolt disc rotors?

Oms

by Oms

Sbassios wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:30 pm
Mcdeez wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:27 pm
Sbassios wrote:Hello,
I would like to ask as i am new to disc brakes..at this moment my bike has 6bolt rotor,with the hyper i will need centre lock or i can fit the 6bolt?
You need to buy new discs probably, i dont think they make 6 bolts dics
If i order centerlock adapter to use it with my new 6bolt disc rotors?
There are adaptors available. You need to check whether it's compatible with your discs (and wheels possibly?):
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shima ... er-p34131/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

K3vinjam3s

by K3vinjam3s

Ive just received my hypers in the 50mm rim version. I have a cannondale supersix evo 2020 and im running a sram force axs etap groupset. After installing the force cassette and putting the rear wheel back on the chain is tpuching the chainstay when in the smallest sprocket. Ive double checked the cassette and even played with the rear mech limits and still touching.

Anyone had any tight tolerences in this area with these wheels?

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

K3vinjam3s wrote:Ive just received my hypers in the 50mm rim version. I have a cannondale supersix evo 2020 and im running a sram force axs etap groupset. After installing the force cassette and putting the rear wheel back on the chain is tpuching the chainstay when in the smallest sprocket. Ive double checked the cassette and even played with the rear mech limits and still touching.

The 2020 supersix with sramForce axs etap is rubbing the stays even with stock wheels...looks like its not made for the sram groupset and they fixed it in the 2021 models, lots of complains in the supersix evo thread.

C36

by C36

K3vinjam3s wrote:Ive just received my hypers in the 50mm rim version. I have a cannondale supersix evo 2020 and im running a sram force axs etap groupset. After installing the force cassette and putting the rear wheel back on the chain is tpuching the chainstay when in the smallest sprocket. Ive double checked the cassette and even played with the rear mech limits and still touching.

It’s a problem regularly raised with AXS groups in this frame once you switch from the original wheels.
Have a look at the Supersix topic you should find few similar feed backs.

K3vinjam3s

by K3vinjam3s

C36 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:28 pm

It’s a problem regularly raised with AXS groups in this frame once you switch from the original wheels.
Have a look at the Supersix topic you should find few similar feed backs.
Is that with the rim brake frameset or the disc? I have the rim.

Reacto

by Reacto

I've recently received a set of 50mm rim brake hypers so thought I would add my experience thus far.

Since they are relatively unknown I read every review I could get my hands on before I made the decision. For the price and weight I decided it was worth a punt. I was also considered the Prime Black Edition.

Ordered Jun 13
Due to backlog, order not processed until 21 Jun
Received 06 July

I opted for the free EMS post option and didn't pay any duty on arrival into the US. :thumbup:

Arrived in really good order, well packaged. They look amazing! Have transforming the look of my bike. I have a little of the brown patches mentioned in this thread. But that's only if you look for them and it is not a concern at all. The colour and finish is so randomized and they change in the light almost like a hologram. Personally I love the look. Will upload some pics soon.

I have fitted them with Continental 5000 tyres and I echo comments about issues fitting them. They are tight as hell! The first attempt I ruined 2 brand new Conti race tubes by pinching them (and yes I partly inflated them!). So I fitted the tyres only and gave them 48 hours to stretch a little. I then re-tried with Vitoria standard tubes as they are bit more robust. Eventually got there but I can see how someone has damaged a rim. I was having to use far more force than I wanted to with levers to get them mounted.

The frustrating thing is I still haven't ridden them yet. While trying to fit the carbon specific brake cartridges to my Tektro shoes, 2 of the little hex screws had seized. I ending up rounding them off so I am currently waiting for a new set of brake shoes. (For the money I am sure winspace could have thrown in a full set rather than just the cartridges).

The noise, which some have described as obnoxious, is really a question of what you are used to. My previous wheels Caro AR24 evo's are about the same.

Will update as soon as I get the brakes sorted and give them a good run out. First impressions are really good. The bearings spin effortlessly and the quality looks spot on.

Boboboss

by Boboboss

I ordered a pair of Lún Road 45mm disc wheels and I figured I might as well share my experiences with them since there's no separate thread.

I ordered it 18th of May, it was sent some time between the 6th and 8th of June and arrived on the 23rd.

Measuring the weights I got th following results (cba to look up the manufacturer stated values)

Front wheel: 720g
Rear wheel: 858g
Front wheel with Conti Race tubes, GP5000 28mm, TRP disc brakes and Shimano centrelock to 6 bolt adapters: 1242g
Rear wheel with Conti Race tubes, GP5000 28mm, TRP disc brakes and Shimano centrelock to 6 bolt adapters and a 105 11-32 cassette measured at 313g: 1728g

The package arrived in perfect condition and as Winspace promised with XDB shipping in the EU, I did not have to pay any other tax or customs duties. I ordered the wheels to Hungary and I know some other people in EU countries got charged a smaller import tax. Total cost of the wheels was $698 plus $20 for a set of QR adapters. While I had to pay extra for these, it's nice that they included a pair for both front and rear hubs. Some larger brands only give QR adapters for the rear wheels for the same price.

Since I've read about the discolorations of Hyper wheels I very thoroughly inspected the wheels and found no discolouration (although the Lún Roads are made with a different weave pattern) or any manufacturing defects. The wheels were also true out of the box.

So far I've only done around 300km on them, but most of this was climbing. Having put on them a fairly heavy 10kg bike, I immediately felt the difference coming from an older simpler set of aluminium wheels, and smashed most of my Strava PBs on my regular routes. When you switch to lighter, nicer wheels it really does feel like I suddenly got a lot stronger over the course of 2 days (obviously not the case).

Some people earlier complained about the lack of greasing in the rear hub. I took the hub apart to see if this is the case, but the hub had ample amount of grease applied from the factory. I agree with Reacto that these Winspace hubs are ridiculously loud. I honestly don't mind it as much because I use this bike for some of my commute throughout the city and when I'm going through shared pedestrian-bike lanes, I don't need to use my bell because the people in front of me can hear me from 10-20 metres away and they automatically get out of the way. Otherwise the wheels spin perfectly well (so far), no issues with loose or problematic bearings as some people complained before.

One slightly weird thing is that at higher speeds (past 45-50km/h) I can feel the back of the bike slightly wobble underneath me even when there is no real crosswind. These are not like the typical speed wobbles that you reliably get at certain speeds with certain amplitudes, more like 1-2 slight wobbles when descending on flat roads. I'm not 100% sure these are from the wheels themselves or because of the bike's geometry, tire type or the pressures I'm running them at. I'm quite a light rider weighing 60 kilos plus 10 for the bike so it might be normal, but makes me feel a bit less confident on long descents which I do a lot of as most of my training consists of climbs.

Reflecting on Reacto's comments on the fitting of tires. I'm also using standard GP5000s, 28mm with Conti race tubes. I had no issues fitting the tires onto the rims. Having just received them, I was worried about damaging them even with plastic tire levers so I tried to put the tires on by just hand. Using a pair of reusable grip gloves, and the right technique (and some but not excessive amount of force) I was able to put the tires on without the need for levers.

To summarise: The wheels feel robust and high-quality while being pretty light as well. I did not get any of the creaks and weird sounds other people got with the Hypers, possibly due to the different design of the hubs. At this price I would definitely buy again, I know Winspace is going to increase prices by $100 at the end of the month but if they keep offering duty pre-paid EU shipping, it'll still remain a great deal compared to similarly priced wheels from other quality Chinese brands where you have to pay an extra $120-150 for shipping, taxes, (PayPal fees.. wtf), etc. In hindsight, I should have gone for the 30mm version since I do a lot of climbing, not mainly because of the 50 grams saved on weight, but because I'm pretty lightweight and I can feel crosswinds and turbulent air on descents much more than someone weighing 15-20 kilos more.

I know this is not a very scientific review (at least I didn't say they spin up quickly and hold their speed well while being confidence inspiring in corners) but if there is anything else I should add, just let me know.

Arno1

by Arno1

This can come from the balancing of the wheels. Put your bike on a workshop stand and quickly turn the crankset, you will see the oscillations of the rear wheel. The remedy is to put a small part on the opposite side of the valve in order to balance the wheel. You will find simple solutions on youtube (Shane Miller, Oz cycle). Some manufacturers are already introducing a counterweight inside the wheel.

Boboboss

by Boboboss

Arno1 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:46 pm
This can come from the balancing of the wheels. Put your bike on a workshop stand and quickly turn the crankset, you will see the oscillations of the rear wheel. The remedy is to put a small part on the opposite side of the valve in order to balance the wheel. You will find simple solutions on youtube (Shane Miller, Oz cycle). Some manufacturers are already introducing a counterweight inside the wheel.
Amazing suggestion, thanks very much! Never thought about this, in my head I already overcomplicated the issue thinking about problems like a bend in my frame, issues with the hub or dropouts, everything but this. Already looked up how OZ Cycle does it and I'll definitely do this.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

For anyone wondering if the Hypers are U shaped or V shaped

Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Arno1

by Arno1

Boboboss wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:31 pm
Arno1 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:46 pm
Amazing suggestion, thanks very much! Never thought about this, in my head I already overcomplicated the issue thinking about problems like a bend in my frame, issues with the hub or dropouts, everything but this. Already looked up how OZ Cycle does it and I'll definitely do this.
Golfers or tennis players sometimes use this type of piece to perfect the balance. You can easily find them on Amazon or Ebay.

naynay

by naynay

Hi,
My Winspace Hyper 50 Disc wheels have the very annoying creaking sound thats fairly loud as well. I undestand the fix for this is to grease the hub but as I am not keen on the hub when rolling as it is a little to load for my liking.
What I would like to know is can anyone recommend a quieter hub so as its not so load when rolling I would like something of good quality.
Any help most appreciated.
Thanks.
Nay.

Voss27

by Voss27

I've done over 2500km on my 38mm rim Hypers now, including the Maratona dles Dolomites (138km and 4200m of climbing) recently, and the wheels have performed flawlessly so far. Still perfectly true, bearing rolling smoothly and freely.

But I did start getting the dreaded creaking sound when climbing out of the saddle and putting down over 300W. I checked my freehub, added some more grease, greased QR skewers, and even added a drop of lube to the rear spokes where they overlap on the drive side. None of these things fixed the creak unfortunately.

Then I tried swapping out the Winspace skewers for my DT Swiss set that came with my ARC 1400 wheels. And no more creaks! :)

Looking at the rear Winspace QR skewer I can't see any issue with them, I have cleaned them and re-greased the contact points, but when tightening the skewer on the bike I hear a creak very similar to what I heard while riding. Something is rubbing and not providing a clean and secure clamping force. I also notice that the QR lever is very tight to close up to 45 degrees or so, but then becomes easier for the final 5-10 degrees before closing fully.

I'll have to look into getting another set of skewers for the Hypers, maybe something a bit lighter, but definitely something stronger that clamps the wheel onto the frame mew securely. Anyone here have any recommendations for good aftermarket QR skewers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

anyone know how to free-up the spoke nipples? Bike shop trying to rebuild the hyper 38 rim and they said the nipples were super tight they feared they would break the spokes.