Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Independant review of the Winspace Hyper 50s after 2 years and thousands of KM of riding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS42I1B2STo
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Ronin416 wrote:
tjvirden wrote:
cloud9blue wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:38 pm
ceramic bearing is all marketing bs... carbon spokes are not though
Not quite. All carbon spokes produced so far have higher drag (CdA). Carbon spokes = slower wheels for almost all riding.
I disagree, not all as designs are the same. If you look closely at the profile of the Hyper spoke it is very reminiscent of the new DTSwiss - “DT new aero and DT aero comp” the later ONLY available on their ARC1100 80mm - not available separately for custom builds as told by the DT rep. Few spokes have such a wide profile with taper edges.

Good seeing DT team up with Swiss Side, as they has a lot creditable aero testing and industry relationships.

See pics for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. This is totally inaccurate information. I used aero-comps all the time for builds back when I was actually building wheels. They were/presumably are readily available.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eggyeggs

by Eggyeggs

Hello folks,
Been scrolling through this forum. Whats the general concensus for the 50 vs 65mm hypers?
Are the aero benefits worth the extra weight? I ride approx 50% flats 30% rolling small hills or 20% short punchy climbs (9% 1.5km or so.
Very occasionally will I tackle anything steeper or longer...

johnny5o

by johnny5o

Eggyeggs wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:02 pm
Hello folks,
Been scrolling through this forum. Whats the general concensus for the 50 vs 65mm hypers?
Are the aero benefits worth the extra weight? I ride approx 50% flats 30% rolling small hills or 20% short punchy climbs (9% 1.5km or so.
I'm in the same boat here too - deciding between 50's & 65's, prob leaning to 65's

Ronin416

by Ronin416

wheelbuilder wrote:
Ronin416 wrote:
tjvirden wrote:
cloud9blue wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:38 pm
ceramic bearing is all marketing bs... carbon spokes are not though
Not quite. All carbon spokes produced so far have higher drag (CdA). Carbon spokes = slower wheels for almost all riding.
I disagree, not all as designs are the same. If you look closely at the profile of the Hyper spoke it is very reminiscent of the new DTSwiss - “DT new aero and DT aero comp” the later ONLY available on their ARC1100 80mm - not available separately for custom builds as told by the DT rep. Few spokes have such a wide profile with taper edges.

Good seeing DT team up with Swiss Side, as they has a lot creditable aero testing and industry relationships.

See pics for reference.

Lol. This is totally inaccurate information. I used aero-comps all the time for builds back when I was actually building wheels. They were/presumably are readily available.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
Let me correct that - “new aero comps” vs the “aero comps” you probably were buying. You can see easily the difference between the width of the profile in their display box.

emotive

by emotive

Eggyeggs wrote:Hello folks,
Based on your riding mix the deeper wheels will give you more aero gains than the weight increase will cost you in watts. Have a read of the Cannondale Systemsix white paper for weight vs aero cost/benefits.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

On the Swiss spokes, they've got a whole bunch of "New" or "Wide" series spokes they use for OEM builds - basically 3.2mm wide - that they're aftermaket hubs won't fit (2.3mm limit). The only way you can buy them is as spare parts from a DT Swiss build... or buy a DT Swiss wheel and rebuild it. I learned this the hardway when I stole the hub from a GR1600 wheelset then tried to use the spokes with a similar rim and new hub.

johnny5o

by johnny5o

emotive wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:52 am
Based on your riding mix the deeper wheels will give you more aero gains than the weight increase will cost you in watts. Have a read of the Cannondale Systemsix white paper for weight vs aero cost/benefits.
yeah, while what you've said is spot on, the (little) data there is for watts on the hyper 50 & 65, it's only saving a few watts using 65's (or 1watt if you use Hambini's data at 50kmh), where as the benefit of not getting blown around on the 65's (vs 50's) would have some good benefits (and also weight saving / spin up factor, but not as concerned by that). A few have commented on handling of the 65's.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

[quote=johnny5o post_id=1735984 time=1646774953 user_id=71305]
[quote=emotive post_id=1735910 time=1646733141 user_id=68753]
[quote="Eggyeggs"]Hello folks,
Very occasionally will I tackle anything steeper or longer...[/quote]
[/quote]

yeah, while what you've said is spot on, the (little) data there is for watts on the hyper 50 & 65, it's only saving a few watts using 65's (or 1watt if you use Hambini's data at 50kmh), where as the benefit of not getting blown around on the 65's (vs 50's) would have some good benefits (and also weight saving / spin up factor, but not as concerned by that). A few have commented on handling of the 65's.
[/quote]

I was considering buying 50s as an additional set, but then I bought a bike with Roval CLX50s :beerchug:

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

johnny5o wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:29 pm
emotive wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:52 am
Hambini has uploaded a 4000km in depth review about his 65's to his patreon page and website. He offered the same conclusions as others. In his opinion the 50 represented a better wheel.

https://www.hambini.com/winspace-lun-hy ... et-review/

I read that and the piece about modern cycling aerodynamics and it was a serious eye opener.

I ended up going with the 50's a few months ago, I haven't regretted it.

CoastalRider

by CoastalRider

I wanted to thank you all for the conversations, explanations, and personal opinions about these wheels. After lurking for the last year, I decided to join in and make this first post. I've been back and forth between Light Bicycle and the Hypers for my first set of carbon rim brake wheels for months. Last week I finally resolved my decision paralysis and ordered a set of the 38mm Hypers. Really excited to get them in and fitted to my R3. I've been running alloy Fulcrum Racing 3s with 25mm gp5k tires since I got the bike last year. Looking forward to trying these out and shaving over 300g from my bike when I set these up tubeless.

I noticed a handful of posts from mid-2021 with some QC issues related to the finish and spokes. I know any company will have small problems from time to time. Can anyone who recently received some wheels from them chime in about how the most recent wheelsets' QC been? Anything to check or watch out for when they arrive?

Voss27

by Voss27

I bought my 38mm rim Hypers a year ago, have over 3000km on them mostly in the mountains including the Maratona des Dolomites, and they are still running faultlessly. True, no spoke tension problems, no twisted spokes, I did add a tiny bit more grease to the freehub when checking it early on. Brake as well if not better then my main DT Swiss ARC 1400 62mm wheels. I run 25mm GP5000s on them and I am really very happy with how they perform, how they feel, and recommend them to everyone that asks.

CoastalRider

by CoastalRider

Voss27 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:56 pm
I bought my 38mm rim Hypers a year ago, have over 3000km on them mostly in the mountains including the Maratona des Dolomites, and they are still running faultlessly. True, no spoke tension problems, no twisted spokes, I did add a tiny bit more grease to the freehub when checking it early on. Brake as well if not better then my main DT Swiss ARC 1400 62mm wheels. I run 25mm GP5000s on them and I am really very happy with how they perform, how they feel, and recommend them to everyone that asks.
Great to hear. I hope my experience will be similar.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

CoastalRider wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:43 pm
Voss27 wrote:
I've now got 6500km on my 38/rim in about 10 months. Still true, roll well. I have to re-grease the freehub every few 1000 km (and I'll try not to lose the spacer next time). TBH not 100% convinced about the brake track, but time will tell.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

SixThirteen wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:17 am
CoastalRider wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:43 pm
Voss27 wrote:
I've now got 6500km on my 38/rim in about 10 months. Still true, roll well. I have to re-grease the freehub every few 1000 km (and I'll try not to lose the spacer next time). TBH not 100% convinced about the brake track, but time will tell.
Can you elaborate on the brake track? Are you talking about stopping power or durability?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com