Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Voss27

by Voss27

double post

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tree

by Tree

Are there any plans on the next version or allowing the option of a textured brake track or grooves cut into the track for wet weather performance? Rains a lot where I'm from.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

ChinaCycling wrote:
jzinckgra wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:14 pm
ChinaCycling wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 am
jzinckgra wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:50 pm
Bought them 8 days ago. Not sure why it took over a week to ship for something they had in stock.
^ These days the shipping agents limit how much stuff we can ship sometimes. If there's a huge backlog at their warehouse, they'll limit more, etc. Sometimes we're just waiting for a 'gap' in the shipping. :roll: Hopefully this will continue to get better as more and more airlines convert to cargo planes.
makes sense, thanks for explaining. Are the skewers that are included with the 38's good quality and somewhat lightweight?
Good quality; yes. Lightweight; no. Hubs such as the HYPER ones that can be disassmbled without tools rely on the clamping force of the thru-axle or quick release skewer to keep everything in place and stop bearings moving around, etc. Therefore clamping force was prioritized over weight with the quick release skewers. If you want to switch to super light ones, I recommend the kind that requires tools to tighten. (I can't remember the brand that makes titanium ones that are tightened by an allen bolt.)
Sorry but going to disagree with the clamping force argument. I put the supplied ones on instead of my lightweight Ti ones and if you clamp too tight the end caps compress the bearings and the hubs don’t spin! I.e.,the hubs can’t take the clamping force given by the supplied spindles!

What you need is consistent, reasonable clamping force and struggle to see that can’t be done with a light spindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

Beancouter wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:37 am
ChinaCycling wrote:
jzinckgra wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:14 pm
ChinaCycling wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 am

^ These days the shipping agents limit how much stuff we can ship sometimes. If there's a huge backlog at their warehouse, they'll limit more, etc. Sometimes we're just waiting for a 'gap' in the shipping. :roll: Hopefully this will continue to get better as more and more airlines convert to cargo planes.
makes sense, thanks for explaining. Are the skewers that are included with the 38's good quality and somewhat lightweight?
Good quality; yes. Lightweight; no. Hubs such as the HYPER ones that can be disassmbled without tools rely on the clamping force of the thru-axle or quick release skewer to keep everything in place and stop bearings moving around, etc. Therefore clamping force was prioritized over weight with the quick release skewers. If you want to switch to super light ones, I recommend the kind that requires tools to tighten. (I can't remember the brand that makes titanium ones that are tightened by an allen bolt.)
Sorry but going to disagree with the clamping force argument. I put the supplied ones on instead of my lightweight Ti ones and if you clamp too tight the end caps compress the bearings and the hubs don’t spin! I.e.,the hubs can’t take the clamping force given by the supplied spindles!

What you need is consistent, reasonable clamping force and struggle to see that can’t be done with a light spindle.

How hard did you clamp? Lighter quick releases usually have shorter, thinner handles. For me personally, these don't let me get enough leverage to put enough clamping force. I guess you have a lot more manly hands than I do, and therefore you problably get the same clamping force with shorter levers than I do with longer levers.

IMHO, if you're not racing, you should use hex-head or torx-head "quick"releases and use a torque wrench to get the right torque. You could still take it off at the isde of the road with a multitool (which you probably carry if you carry a spare tube and a pump.) But, this isn't mainstream thinkig, so I guess the industry will stick to using quick releases and everyone riding around with vastly amounts of clamping force.

I don't know if you saw it, but peak torque's video on the subject illustrated the differences in clamping force between different quick releases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du742eTDgUE

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

Beancouter wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:37 am

I disassembled the rear hub to replace the inner bearing. From what I can see, the spindle had a step section that it does not seem possible that over-compression will seize the bearings. Unless the bearings were not installed correctly. You might want to have it check if the bearing were installed correctly.

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

Just a crazy idea. Please advise.

I do find that the hub to be really noisy. While it has 6 pawls in the ratchet. Has anyone tried removing 3 of them to reduce the noise ?

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

ongbenghui wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:41 am

I do find that the hub to be really noisy. While it has 6 pawls in the ratchet. Has anyone tried removing 3 of them to reduce the noise ?
I've done this myself just for experimenting. Noise doesn't get much quieter, but the frequency/pitch goes down. I've also used different thicknesses of the pawl springs, that makes them a lot quieter or louder, but weaker pawl psinrgs you're starting to mess with the reliability of the freehub mechanism, so - not recommended!

Oh, and most specs / sizes are back in stock on the site right now.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you remove all the pawls, the freehub will be dead silent.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Ahahaha

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

ChinaCycling wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:57 am
ongbenghui wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:41 am

I've done this myself just for experimenting. Noise doesn't get much quieter, but the frequency/pitch goes down. I've also used different thicknesses of the pawl springs, that makes them a lot quieter or louder, but weaker pawl psinrgs you're starting to mess with the reliability of the freehub mechanism, so - not recommended!

Oh, and most specs / sizes are back in stock on the site right now.
Ahha... Okie... will pass for this idea.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What about running a thicker lubrication? That usually quiets a freehub down a lot.

If you ride in cold weather it could be a problem with some greases. If you don't you have a bit greater acceptable range.

If you can get the wheel to accelerate relatively quickly in the stand simply by backpedaling, your pawl springs are likely too strong. There shouldn't be any compromised engagement by weakening them a little bit.

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

Hi hi,

How is the quality of bearing in the hub ? I replaced the inner bearings in the rear hub with metal shield bearings, and now thinking of replacing the rest with Japanese bearings.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Received my Hype 38's yesterday. All looks good, except weight is a bit over the stated 3% spec. Mine come in 1310g. Also, are these carbon spokes cause they look and feel like alloy. I can confirm the freehub is super loud. Will try a little more grease. FYI, the supplied skewers are 119g. Too heavy for a lightweight build. Anyone using Tune or other skewers that are at least half the weight?

RidePalatinate

by RidePalatinate

I ordered my wheelset (50 mm Disc) last week. Thanks for the helpful information in this thread so far.
The communication in terms of content was good, but it took quite some time and several reminders to get my questions answered - that was almost expected, but still disappointing.
Nevertheless now looking forward to the wheelset and riding it. Will report back.

Btw, I knew the whole market is currently a mess, but I was/am shocked on how hard it actually really is to get spare parts at the moment (cassette, tires, disc rotors for the wheelset). In that regards it's almost a good thing the shipping takes so long. Well, almost... :wink:

Voss27

by Voss27

jzinckgra wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:40 pm
Received my Hype 38's yesterday. All looks good, except weight is a bit over the stated 3% spec. Mine come in 1310g. Also, are these carbon spokes cause they look and feel like alloy. I can confirm the freehub is super loud. Will try a little more grease. FYI, the supplied skewers are 119g. Too heavy for a lightweight build. Anyone using Tune or other skewers that are at least half the weight?
Did you weigh them with the tubeless vales installed? They are 5g each. Also the rim tape adds weight. All manufactures report the weight without those parts, sneeky but they all do it. In that case they are within 3%.

Skewers are heavy as stated by China Cycling already. Same weight as the DT Swiss skewers on my ARC 1400s incidentally.

I'm going to try adding more grease onto the freehub paws as well. It is loud but not the loudest I've heard on group rides. Chris King's are still the winners there.

And the spokes are carbon for sure! Just try tapping them with your fingernail, very different sound.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com