Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Voss27

by Voss27

Your downhill test is averaging around 25mph, that's quite slow. The difference between a box section alu wheel and the Zipps at that speed will be 5-10W max. Maybe the bearings in your Hypers aren't running great, but your results are far from conclusive about aero performance I'm afraid.

Were your test done on the same day, one after the other? A slight change in wind speed or direction could make that amount of difference.

I've got the 38mm rim Hypers and I set a PB on a local steep descent that's 3.5km long at an avg speed of 70km/h. That was a few seconds faster then with my 62mm DT Swiss aero wheels, but admitidly I felt more comfortable on the Hypers in the fast corners and held more speed there, plus a higher top speed too. I'm not saying the 38mm Hypers are more aero then my 62mm DT Swiss wheels, just that aero performance is one part of the puzzle. How well the bearings run, how well the wheels handle fast corners, how comfortable you feel in windy conditions, it all plays a part.

MC356

by MC356

Tests were done on the same day, about 15-20 min apart. Little to no wind on every test. I was very surprised on the results and there quite possible something wrong with my wheels or bearing but I only have about 1000 miles on the hypers are only ride in sunny souther California weather, these wheels have never seen rain or anything but clear conditions. Don't ride them on any rough or crazy roads either.

I mean if the hypers were my first deep section carbon wheel I would think they are fine but there must be something wrong with mine or maybe the really aren't that great. They preform a lot worse in crosswinds than my older zipps but other than that they feel fine, just slow.
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

Few comments from someone who have run those tests many times (and was using anemometer for wind speed measures and correcting power outputs) even like, this reproduction is needed to average result.

Few things that can play (either increasing the gap measured, reducing or inverting the result)
- tires width installed on the rim
- tires integration with the rim
- pressure inaccuracies
- pressures corrected with the real tire width
- position on the bike
- weight loss during the tests
- RR differences between same tires and tubes due to manufacturing tolerances.

Neocat

by Neocat

I think it's still a hit or miss with Hypers qualitywise. There is value for reviews on wheels that people actually buy rather than those cherry picked by Winspace for some reputable youtubers to test. Good feedback for Winspace if they listen. Maybe they are making gradual improvements behind the scene. From what I gather from this thread, the hubs have had version increment on them at least.

MC356

by MC356

C36 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:25 pm
Few comments from someone who have run those tests many times (and was using anemometer for wind speed measures and correcting power outputs) even like, this reproduction is needed to average result.

Few things that can play (either increasing the gap measured, reducing or inverting the result)
- pressure inaccuracies
- position on the bike

I know this test isnt perfect but it proved to me that what I was feeling was ture, my Hyper wheels feel slow. Luckily I had a friend who was nice enough to loan me his Vision wheels for this test.

Here are some answers to your questions
- tires width installed on the rim, Both tires are 25mm tubeless at 85psi with about the same miles on them
- pressure inaccuracies, checked with track pump and digital gauge too.
- position on the bike, On the hood for all tests
- weight loss during the tests, test were done within 15 to 20 min of each other so count a few oz in sweat?
- RR differences between same tires and tubes due to manufacturing tolerances. Yes the tires are different but how much of a difference will it make in a 1 and .6 mile test that doesn't involve hard cornering, braking or sprinting.

Some thoughts after a few days from doing this test.
-Maybe the bearing on my Hypers are shot? A lot of people are commenting on youtube that they are faster with hypers than other carbon wheels. But Iive in southern california and these wheels have only been ridden in nice condition, no rain or mud or dirt.
-Maybe I have a defective set of Hypers that are causing this speed loss and spoke issues.
-Maybe these wheels really are this slow and the youtube influencers are hush hush paid to say good things? Have any of them used the wheels for 1000 miles? I mean if a brand gives you a product to review for free with a discount code for your viewer to use and if your viewers use that code you get some sort of payout you would only say good things so your viewers use your code and you get paid right? If you give them a negative review none of your viewers will buy them so no payout.
-I cant wait to see Winspace take all the feedback they get and see what the gen 2 of the hypers will look like. I think if they built them with a brand name hub it would be a winner!

I'm just a fan of cycling and riding, im telling my experience with these wheels, not trying to bash Winspace or chinese wheels, I have BTLOS wheels on my mtb and I love them so I felt comfortable buying the Hypers. With all the hype about the Hypers I was really disappointed. Almost like going on a date with a girl you met online and once you see her she doesn't look like her pics on her profile :o
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

MC356 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:58 am
C36 wrote:

- pressure inaccuracies
- position on the bike

I know this test isnt perfect but it proved to me that what I was feeling was ture, my Hyper wheels feel slow. Luckily I had a friend who was nice enough to loan me his Vision wheels for this test.

- tires width installed on the rim, Both tires are 25mm tubeless at 85psi with about the same miles on them
- weight loss during the tests, test were done within 15 to 20 min of each other so count a few oz in sweat?
- RR differences between same tires and tubes due to manufacturing tolerances. Yes the tires are different but how much of a difference will it make in a 1 and .6 mile test that doesn't involve hard cornering, braking or sprinting.

-Maybe the bearing on my Hypers are shot? A lot of people are commenting on youtube that they are faster with hypers than other carbon wheels. But Iive in southern california and these wheels have only been ridden in nice condition, no rain or mud or dirt.
-Maybe I have a defective set of Hypers that are causing this speed loss and spoke issues.
-Maybe these wheels really are this slow and the youtube influencers are hush hush paid to say good things? Have any of them used the wheels for 1000 miles? I mean if a brand gives you a product to review for free with a discount code for your viewer to use and if your viewers use that code you get some sort of payout you would only say good things so your viewers use your code and you get paid right? If you give them a negative review none of your viewers will buy them so no payout.
1. I've done just shy of 5000km / 3000 miles on my Hyper 38 Rim
2. I live in Sydney AU where the weather is mainly fine. I bought them in April so its been autumn then winter and now spring here
3. Paid for mine with my own money. Very happy
4. Since I've had them I've gotten PRs on 4 or 5 local climbs that I had tackled many times previously on other wheels / same bike / same tyres

Very happy
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

MC356

by MC356

SixThirteen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:44 am
MC356 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:58 am
C36 wrote:

- pressure inaccuracies
- position on the bike

1. I've done just shy of 5000km / 3000 miles on my Hyper 38 Rim
2. I live in Sydney AU where the weather is mainly fine. I bought them in April so its been autumn then winter and now spring here
3. Paid for mine with my own money. Very happy
4. Since I've had them I've gotten PRs on 4 or 5 local climbs that I had tackled many times previously on other wheels / same bike / same tyres

Very happy
From what you have said make be believe my hypers are prabably defective or have underplaying issues.
Maybe winspace needs better qc.
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

Shokster65

by Shokster65

In case anyone has questions regarding the strength of these wheels I am pleased to say that they survived this completely unmarked and have now been transferred to my other bike. That's the result of a 24 mph impact into a wall!!!
Attachments
20210926_084245.jpg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

How you do that

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Wow that is a savage crash, how?!

Voss27

by Voss27

Very surprised that the fork didn't break, but instead the whole frame did! That's either a very strong fork, or a very weak frame, either way a bad design.

Maddie

by Maddie

Bikes aren't tanks. If you hit a wall with 24mph on a bike, something will break. Doesn't mean it's a bad design

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Voss27 wrote:Very surprised that the fork didn't break, but instead the whole frame did! That's either a very strong fork, or a very weak frame, either way a bad design.
I don't think the colnago design team make them to survive impacts into walls.

Voss27

by Voss27

One component is designed to be weaker then the other, so it an impact it breaks first. Most bikes have weaker forks then the head tube/frame. That way you replace a fork, not the entire bike! I've seen many broken bikes from frontal impacts, always with broken forks, rarely wheels, and never a frame which broke before the fork.

No one is saying the frame should be indestructible and survive any impact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Yes but we have no real info how the bike hit the wall. I'm just happy the rider was ok!