Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Boboboss

by Boboboss

Arno1 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:34 pm
C36 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:13 pm
Arno1 wrote: 2) Great difficulty in installing 5000 GP and therefore removing them. I installed PIrelli Zero (23 at the front and 25 at the rear). Almost easy to assemble by hand.
How wide are the 23mm once installed on the front wheel?

What is the spoke-hole size on the rim? looking what veloplug size would fit to replace the rim-tape
There is no hole since they are tubeless ready Personally, I put a light rim tape (zipp) which certainly reduces the heating of the inner tube. It's purely intuitive. I don't have a tool to measure the exact width of the tires but from experience the 23 from Pirelli must certainly be close to 25, 26. Obviously a 25 (measured can be at 26.5 - 27) you will give more comfort and reduce the stiffness of the wheels, at least the feel. Parameter not to be overlooked: the state of the roads
I'm on disc brakes so for me rim tape is absolutely not needed. But just out of curiosity, how does 0.3mm of plastic tape insulate the inner tube from the 100+ degrees C heat that can come from the rims after a long, steep descent? The difference must be negligible.

Arno1

by Arno1

Boboboss wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:07 am
Arno1 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:34 pm
C36 wrote:
Arno1 wrote: 2) Great difficulty in installing 5000 GP and therefore removing them. I installed PIrelli Zero (23 at the front and 25 at the rear). Almost easy to assemble by hand.

What is the spoke-hole size on the rim? looking what veloplug size would fit to replace the rim-tape
There is no hole since they are tubeless ready Personally, I put a light rim tape (zipp) which certainly reduces the heating of the inner tube. It's purely intuitive. I don't have a tool to measure the exact width of the tires but from experience the 23 from Pirelli must certainly be close to 25, 26. Obviously a 25 (measured can be at 26.5 - 27) you will give more comfort and reduce the stiffness of the wheels, at least the feel. Parameter not to be overlooked: the state of the roads
I'm on disc brakes so for me rim tape is absolutely not needed. But just out of curiosity, how does 0.3mm of plastic tape insulate the inner tube from the 100+ degrees C heat that can come from the rims after a long, steep descent? The difference must be negligible.
As stated this is purely intuitive. I am not an engineer. I did not go down a mountain pass with these wheels, just descents in the mountains of Flanders (France - Belgium). Certainly this tape absorbs some energy. Good road

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oms

by Oms

Update after 70 miles:

Covered another 50 miles - headset properly adjusted now, which helped a bit. Still, overtaking vehicles can produce a slight wobble/steer on country lanes. I've always felt the bars are a bit too narrow for me anyway, so a slightly wider bar will make me happier climbing out of the saddle and help manage the steering a bit.

Suppose I'll get better at managing that over time anyway.

Still not taken it down my 40-50mph hill yet - need to get used to the bike first. 😉

Regardless, it's different to riding low profile alu rims. Bear that in mind.

PS Is it me, or is there a lot more a wind around one's head/helmet with a more aero setup? Granted I'm riding new wheels on a new frame however not experienced so much wind in that area (at the same average speed). Feels like the aero 'trick' is to send the air towards the rider's head! Bizarre. Will keep putting miles on and see how it feels. 👍

tcm733

by tcm733

I got my hyper 50mm last week and thought i'd give some feedback and ask some advice on an issue i'm having.

From order to receiving them took 1 week with the fedex option, i got updates from the fedex app but no dispatch notification from Winspace and currently they are still showing as processing my order. I did contact Winspace on the chat to ask where to request a XDR freehub and the response was instant.

Once arrived i checked the freehub for grease and although there was some in there i would have said it was the absolute minimum i would have personally put in, i eventually decided to remove it and replace with my preferred grease. I also weighted the wheels and on my scales they came out at 1310g with the XDR freehub.

I fitted 25 mm Michelin Power Roads and set them up tubeless, they went on the rim easily and i would say one of the easiest tubeless setups i've done although i did make sure i soaped the rim.

So currently i have done a couple of rides on them totalling 100km, so not a huge distance but enough to get a feel. They replaced a set of Mavic Carbon Pro Exaliths which are a similar depth set of wheels but i was having some issues with flex. The hypers are over 350g lighter than my Mavics and lighter than some climbing wheels i've ridden in the past so i was expecting them to spin up and have a better feel of acceleration than the Mavics and feel similar to those climbing wheels. However on both my rides that was not the case, the acceleration feels similar to my Mavics and a long way off the wheels i've used in the past. I thought that it might just be me and maybe my overall times would look better however both rides times were behind what i have been doing recently with a similar effort.

On looking over the wheels i noticed that the wheels do not spin well, both with the freehub engaged and disengaged. In a somewhat unscientific test i took the rear wheel off and spun it and it lasted 13 seconds before stopping, doing the same with my Mavics and they lasted 41 seconds. I am unsure how much real world effect this has however this has led me to question the quality of the bearings in them, has anyone else had any similar issues?

I am currently considering removing the seals and seeing if replacing the grease has any affect or i do potentially have the option of replacing the bearings as i currently have a set of Vision carbon wheels that i overheated the front rim on a couple of years ago which it looks like share the same bearing sizes.

Any thoughts?

HenryH

by HenryH

I don't think the spin test tells you much (discussion for another time), but 13s seems ridiculously low. I just took off my rear wheel and did the same thing. Wasn't happy with the force I was able to spin it with, but I just let it spin and it laster for 1min49s. No doubt it would go well past 2mins with a better spin.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Can someone check their hyper 38 rear hub and let me know if it came with a metal spacer like piece that fit over the dust cover of the rear hub? I had to rebuild my rear wheel and I thought there was a piece like this when I dropped it off at bike shop, but when they gave me the wheel, there wasn't one. All that is there is the rubber cover. Is this right?

tcm733

by tcm733

HenryH wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:33 pm
I don't think the spin test tells you much (discussion for another time), but 13s seems ridiculously low. I just took off my rear wheel and did the same thing. Wasn't happy with the force I was able to spin it with, but I just let it spin and it laster for 1min49s. No doubt it would go well past 2mins with a better spin.
Yeah i've tried it agian and no matter how i do it or how hard, it doesnt get any better and there is no way its getting anywhere near 2 minutes. I think i'm going to do a couple more rides on them and see how they are and if no better start experimenting.

HenryH

by HenryH

tcm733 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:09 pm
HenryH wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:33 pm
Yeah i've tried it agian and no matter how i do it or how hard, it doesnt get any better and there is no way its getting anywhere near 2 minutes. I think i'm going to do a couple more rides on them and see how they are and if no better start experimenting.
Maybe a question to be asked outside of the Hyper thread? I'm sure there are quite a few with a lot of knowledge about wheels that you try to give some explanations as to why this is happening and if it is normal or not (also if it matter). Those people might not read posts in this thread.

Also if you want to learn more about how they are built up this video shows that pretty well - and might help you troubleshoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdHhfcU_wmw

Or maybe better send Winspace an email? I know some users here have experienced slow replies, but for me it has always been fast. Maybe send them a video of you spinning the wheel?

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

C36 wrote:
GP 5000 23mm? Check upthread - this is what I have on the front
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Oms

by Oms

tcm733 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:45 am
On looking over the wheels i noticed that the wheels do not spin well, both with the freehub engaged and disengaged. In a somewhat unscientific test i took the rear wheel off and spun it and it lasted 13 seconds before stopping, doing the same with my Mavics and they lasted 41 seconds. I am unsure how much real world effect this has however this has led me to question the quality of the bearings in them, has anyone else had any similar issues?

I am currently considering removing the seals and seeing if replacing the grease has any affect or i do potentially have the option of replacing the bearings as i currently have a set of Vision carbon wheels that i overheated the front rim on a couple of years ago which it looks like share the same bearing sizes.

Any thoughts?
My rear wheel (and front wheel) spin very well, for a long time... the freehub does provide quite a bit of resistance so slows the rear wheel down substantially. There are a fair few pawls, so I suppose it's expected vs a 2/3 pawl setup.

I don't think the bearings are 'premium' TBH (felt the occasional roughness through the axle when spinning them - difficult to explain) but then how many wheel manufacturers provide premium bearings as standard anyway? Very free spinning out of the box I'd say, regardless of all of that.

I'll try to smooth out the rear hub with a full service once I've done a few miles.... or learn to keep pedalling? 🤣

Doubt thick grease is the best thing for a freehub anyway, so a good clean out and lube with something more appropriate would be felicitous.

HenryH

by HenryH

Not sure if you can tell by spinning them?

In any case should be fairly easy to replace. I have no intention of replacing mine with new ceramic bearings when the time comes.

RidePalatinate

by RidePalatinate

I own a set of 50mm Disc and I can confirm HenryH's rather long spin time.
Not sure what this means for tcm733's set though.

Other question, what would I have to do to convert my Shimano 11s set to SRAM XDR 12s? I suppose I need a new freehub, right? Is it proprietary, so I'd have to buy it from Winspace?
Given what I've seen in Hambini's video about the freehub removal (and putting the new one on) should be pretty easy.

(I already asked Winspace about this, but they haven't been answering for a couple of weeks.)

Oms

by Oms

HenryH wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:37 pm
Not sure if you can tell by spinning them?

In any case should be fairly easy to replace. I have no intention of replacing mine with new ceramic bearings when the time comes.
I agree - you want them to work properly when loaded.

That said, I held the axles and got someone to spin the wheels up. There was an intermittent blip... almost like one piece of grit that caught one of the ball bearings every once in a while... no pattern or consistency. This might not occur when they're loaded. Who knows?

Anyway - another 40 miles today. All is well so far.

Dry braking is good. Wheel-tyre combo feels smooth and comfy to me - very pleased. No brake rub out of the saddle or cornering. Freehub definitely slows things down a tad when engaged.

Getting better at controlling the front wheel when larger vehicles pass but will still go for slightly wider bars.

Arno1

by Arno1

SixThirteen wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:15 am
C36 wrote:
GP 5000 23mm? Check upthread - this is what I have on the front
GP 5000 in 23mm are not equivalent to the 23mm from Pirelli. The 23 pirelli tires are wider and approach 24.5. I don't have the tool to accurately measure the width of the tires. I also have GP 5000s in 23 and 25 on other wheels. The size of the 5000s is fairer than the 4000s, which were cut tall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theStig

by theStig

I'm on the fence re: the 50mm vs 65mm rim brake versions of these wheels. Are the 15 extra mm worth the 150g penalty? (or vice versa)? Most interested in performance between 15-25mph, small rolling hills (not very steep), fair bit of responsiveness (slowing down and accelerating on group rides)