Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Arno1

by Arno1

Voss27 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:18 am
I've done over 2500km on my 38mm rim Hypers now, including the Maratona dles Dolomites (138km and 4200m of climbing) recently, and the wheels have performed flawlessly so far. Still perfectly true, bearing rolling smoothly and freely.

But I did start getting the dreaded creaking sound when climbing out of the saddle and putting down over 300W. I checked my freehub, added some more grease, greased QR skewers, and even added a drop of lube to the rear spokes where they overlap on the drive side. None of these things fixed the creak unfortunately.

Then I tried swapping out the Winspace skewers for my DT Swiss set that came with my ARC 1400 wheels. And no more creaks! :)

Looking at the rear Winspace QR skewer I can't see any issue with them, I have cleaned them and re-greased the contact points, but when tightening the skewer on the bike I hear a creak very similar to what I heard while riding. Something is rubbing and not providing a clean and secure clamping force. I also notice that the QR lever is very tight to close up to 45 degrees or so, but then becomes easier for the final 5-10 degrees before closing fully.

I'll have to look into getting another set of skewers for the Hypers, maybe something a bit lighter, but definitely something stronger that clamps the wheel onto the frame mew securely. Anyone here have any recommendations for good aftermarket QR skewers?
For me : Mavic : V2450201

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

Just tested my 38mm pretty happy for the price. Was told that the price will increase by 100usd in the upcoming weeks.

HenryH

by HenryH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVDFojPs7r8

Nothing really new, but a nice little (new) review of the Hyper wheels from Peak Torque.

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

Anyone know if the hub in the lun and hyper are different in the early days?

Was told that hyper uses better hub then lun and windspace in order to meet the demand, change the hyper hub and use the same hub as lun.

Not sure if that is true?

Oms

by Oms

Just had a quick spin in the 50mm rim brake versions (finally!).

Fitted with the supplied pads, dry braking is fine (managed to lock my back wheel a few times when bedding them in). Just a quick wipe of the rim with alcohol before using them the first time (they were quite mucky - probably all due to the faff involved in building a new bike). I'd say an alloy rim on stock Shimano pads has more braking feel (perhaps the Winspace supplied pads are a bit squishier?). Anyway - the hypers brake well in the dry as far as I'm concerned.

I'm riding them on a new frame... but I'd say they're twitchier than my previous kysirium elites. That's not my final verdict (still need to adjust the headset as there's a tiny bit of play). Something to bear in mind if you're light, and used to running shallow alloy rims (pucker up?). 38s might have been a better choice for me? Will give them a whirl down my favourite hill once I'm used to them, and done my final tweaks to the bike.

Not sure I like the QR skewers - they are lighter than my previous Mavics, but less user friendly.

No creaks so far.

Freehub body not loud after adding a tiny bit of grease (quieter than on my DT Swiss).

2000m2

by 2000m2

Oms wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:13 pm

Fitted with the supplied pads, dry braking is fine (managed to lock my back wheel a few times when bedding them in). Just a quick wipe of the rim with alcohol before using them the first time (they were quite mucky - probably all due to the faff involved in building a new bike). I'd say an alloy rim on stock Shimano pads has more braking feel (perhaps the Winspace supplied pads are a bit squishier?). Anyway - the hypers brake well in the dry as far as I'm concerned.

I'm riding them on a new frame... but I'd say they're twitchier than my previous kysirium elites. That's not my final verdict (still need to adjust the headset as there's a tiny bit of play). Something to bear in mind if you're light, and used to running shallow alloy rims (pucker up?). 38s might have been a better choice for me? Will give them a whirl down my favourite hill once I'm used to them, and done my final tweaks to the bike.

Not sure I like the QR skewers - they are lighter than my previous Mavics, but less user friendly.

No creaks so far.

Freehub body not loud after adding a tiny bit of grease (quieter than on my DT Swiss).
Which tires are you using (and size)?

EspressoNow

by EspressoNow

My order of LUN 60mm rim brakes with the upgraded hub/cx spokes finally came in after sitting at customs for a few days. The GP 5000s were a pain to put on alone(for me) but with a second pair of hands they went on pretty easy. I used latex tubes but unsure if that's ok with carbon/heat? The hub is loud but I will try some grease to see if it helps.

The QR's creaked straight away on the first test ride. As soon as I put back my older ones the creak went away.

Edit- I also adjusted the brake pads before riding(pic was pre-ride)
Attachments
IMG_7941.jpg

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

My 38 rim started to squeek, but it turned out to be the QR. I greased the cam, and now all good again.

Now done 2190km at 32.4kph 284W NP

By way of comparison, on my Flo 60s: 17200km at 32.2kph 283W NP
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Oms

by Oms

2000m2 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:39 pm
Oms wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:13 pm

No creaks so far.

Which tires are you using (and size)?
Hutchinson Fusion Glactik 5 Tubeless 25mm. They come up to approx 26 mm when inflated to 70 psi.

They went on by hand - and I managed to get them off with gentle use of a plastic lever. That was my litmus test (just in case of a puncture). My experience with Contis has been an absolute nightmare in terms of fit so wanted to use something else given that the rim is carbon.

Time will tell with regards to their life expectancy.

I don't race... neither do I everage more than 20mph on a flattish ride. Can't say there's any perceptible performance difference between kit once you've gone past a certain price point. Still, new kit if fun to play with and look at. 😎

Arno1

by Arno1

2000 km made with my 50 Hyper rim brake.
1) No spoke noise. I installed my Mavic QR.
2) Great difficulty in installing 5000 GP and therefore removing them. I installed PIrelli Zero (23 at the front and 25 at the rear). Almost easy to assemble by hand.
3) The hub noise is very unpleasant, much more than my 240 DT Swiss SP, ratchet 36 system (very quiet). I also used the grease recommended by DT (salmon color). It is a light fat and not thick (see Hambini video).
4) They climb mountains very well, as well as my 38 Farsport (240 DT Swiss). In addition, aero and greater rigidity compared to the 38 from Farsport
5) Not hampered by side wind
6) Only used in dry weather and therefore I could not test the braking capabilities in wet weather. At the moment, I am using Swiss top black prince, and then I will install the winspace brakes. Good braking qualities in dry weather
7) I'm not a fan of the design but I don't find it ugly either. Some brown spots but it's still light
Last edited by Arno1 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C36

by C36

Arno1 wrote: 2) Great difficulty in installing 5000 GP and therefore removing them. I installed PIrelli Zero (23 at the front and 25 at the rear). Almost easy to assemble by hand.
How wide are the 23mm once installed on the front wheel?

What is the spoke-hole size on the rim? looking what veloplug size would fit to replace the rim-tape

Boboboss

by Boboboss

C36 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:13 pm
Arno1 wrote: 2) Great difficulty in installing 5000 GP and therefore removing them. I installed PIrelli Zero (23 at the front and 25 at the rear). Almost easy to assemble by hand.

What is the spoke-hole size on the rim? looking what veloplug size would fit to replace the rim-tape
You don't need rim tape because there are no spoke holes on the inside of the rim. This is true for both Hyper and Lún Roads.

C36

by C36

Boboboss wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:22 pm
You don't need rim tape because there are no spoke holes on the inside of the rim. This is true for both Hyper and Lún Roads.
Sure? why would you need tubeless rim-tape if the bed is undrilled?
https://www.winspace.cc/hyper-50mm-rim- ... elset.html
What's included?
- rim brake versions: Wheels, QR Skewers, Tubeless Rim Tape, Tubeless Valves, Valve Extenders, Brake Pads.
- disc brake versions: Wheels, Tubeless Rim Tape, Tubeless Valves, Valve Extenders.

Arno1

by Arno1

C36 wrote:

There is no hole since they are tubeless ready Personally, I put a light rim tape (zipp) which certainly reduces the heating of the inner tube. It's purely intuitive. I don't have a tool to measure the exact width of the tires but from experience the 23 from Pirelli must certainly be close to 25, 26. Obviously a 25 (measured can be at 26.5 - 27) you will give more comfort and reduce the stiffness of the wheels, at least the feel. Parameter not to be overlooked: the state of the roads
Last edited by Arno1 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Arno1

by Arno1

Arno1 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:34 pm
C36 wrote:

There is no hole since they are tubeless ready. Personally, I put a light rim tape (zipp) which certainly reduces the heating of the inner tube. It's purely intuitive. I don't have a tool to measure the exact width of the tires but from experience the 23 from Pirelli must certainly be close to 25, 26. Obviously a 25 (measured can be at 26.5 - 27) you will give more comfort and reduce the stiffness of the wheels, at least the feel. Parameter not to be overlooked: the state of the roads