Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
HenryH

by HenryH

theStig wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:29 pm
I'm on the fence re: the 50mm vs 65mm rim brake versions of these wheels. Are the 15 extra mm worth the 150g penalty? (or vice versa)? Most interested in performance between 15-25mph, small rolling hills (not very steep), fair bit of responsiveness (slowing down and accelerating on group rides)
Good question. Kind of funny that the OEMs don´t even tell you what their testing shows.

I went with the 65mm because I like the look better and because I guess in theory they should be better on the flat. To me the main reason for going 50mm would be because of side wind. Personally side wind doesn´t really bother me - and been fine with the 65mm even in fairly windy conditions.

I guess 50mm would also feel a bit more agile, but I would honestly be surprised if you would be able to measure that. Not that I know of course.

Not sure if anyone on here have tested both? I kind of doubt it.

C36

by C36

Arno1 wrote: There is no hole since they are tubeless ready Personally, I put a light rim tape (zipp) which certainly reduces the heating of the inner tube.
Sorry to come back… is that something that you saw (rim bed not drilled)? Winspace support just told me it was drilled as needed to pass the spokes heads (as shown on the picture I previously attached), then confused…

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EspressoNow

by EspressoNow

Hypers have holes and need rim tape, LUNs do not.

integration

by integration

HenryH wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:25 pm
theStig wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:29 pm
I'm on the fence re: the 50mm vs 65mm rim brake versions of these wheels. Are the 15 extra mm worth the 150g penalty? (or vice versa)? Most interested in performance between 15-25mph, small rolling hills (not very steep), fair bit of responsiveness (slowing down and accelerating on group rides)
Good question. Kind of funny that the OEMs don´t even tell you what their testing shows.

I went with the 65mm because I like the look better and because I guess in theory they should be better on the flat. To me the main reason for going 50mm would be because of side wind. Personally side wind doesn´t really bother me - and been fine with the 65mm even in fairly windy conditions.

I guess 50mm would also feel a bit more agile, but I would honestly be surprised if you would be able to measure that. Not that I know of course.

Not sure if anyone on here have tested both? I kind of doubt it.
Just received the 65mm rim brake. I live next to the ocean so there's a lot of wind around here. Pleasantly surprised that I haven't had any issues with the wind yet.

Arno1

by Arno1

C36 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:06 pm
Arno1 wrote: There is no hole since they are tubeless ready Personally, I put a light rim tape (zipp) which certainly reduces the heating of the inner tube.
Sorry to come back… is that something that you saw (rim bed not drilled)? Winspace support just told me it was drilled as needed to pass the spokes heads (as shown on the picture I previously attached), then confused…
Yes sorry for my confusion. There are indeed holes and come with tape for tubeless ready use. As I ride, I preferred to remove the adhesive tape and put on a rim tape (Zipp).

Sbassios

by Sbassios

Hello,
I received before 2 weeks my wheelset hyper 50mm disc, every time i get off the saddle and ride the bike,i hear a creack sound from the rear wheel,i don't know of it is a spoke or the hub,i tried to check with my hands if there is a loose spoke but i didn't had any.I send an email to winspace,they asked me aome questions (like rear hub number etc)but 1 week later they didn't answered me yet.Does anyone had the same experience?sorry if the question has been answered.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I recently bought a set of the 38mm hyper rim brake wheels. I have put about 500 miles on them without any issues. No matter how hard I pedal I can't get them to creak. Before I installed the wheels I removed the freehub and found almost no grease. I made certain To lube the prawls and reassembled. Wheels are perfect. I am using the supplied grey brake pads. They work really well.

Arno1

by Arno1

Sbassios wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:21 pm
Hello,
I received before 2 weeks my wheelset hyper 50mm disc, every time i get off the saddle and ride the bike,i hear a creack sound from the rear wheel,i don't know of it is a spoke or the hub,i tried to check with my hands if there is a loose spoke but i didn't had any.I send an email to winspace,they asked me aome questions (like rear hub number etc)but 1 week later they didn't answered me yet.Does anyone had the same experience?sorry if the question has been answered.
I have rim brakes but some people have raised the issue of the axle not being tight enough on disc wheels. Watch Cam Nicholls Video : How we fixed my creaky carbon wheels (Winspace 50mm Hyper) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxeE0XFO7OI

Sbassios

by Sbassios

Arno1 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:53 am
Sbassios wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:21 pm
Hello,
I have rim brakes but some people have raised the issue of the axle not being tight enough on disc wheels. Watch Cam Nicholls Video : How we fixed my creaky carbon wheels (Winspace 50mm Hyper) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxeE0XFO7OI
thank you,i will try the next days to fix it as it is disturbing

HenryH

by HenryH

Will be interesting to see what you find out, but seems like the two most common causes (not a very scientific statement from my side) would be a QR/TB that isn't tight enough and/or lack of grease from the factory. Both thankfully easy to fix. So hopefully that is your issue as well.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Would anyone be able to comment on the comfort of these carbon spoked wheels versus a steel spoke wheelset? Trying to decide between a set of these or the traditional steel type. The bike these are for would be more of a mile muncher versus a racer and any added comfort would be welcome.

EDIT: adding that I have experienced a comfort/compliance difference when I had a set of 24h/24h box sections laced to hope hubs and switched to Campy Eurus wheels. All else on the bike was the same, just the wheels themselves.
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

rick222

by rick222

Can these be used with a 10 speed cassette? if so standard 10 speed spacer

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I believe these wheels are similar (stiffness) to my Lightweight Gen3 Clinchers. I run the 38 Clincher with GP5000 25 mm tires and Silca Latex Tubes at 70psi. Still one of the stiffest wheels I have owned but certainly not uncomfortable. I run my brake pads very tight with little play. I have experienced absolutely not wheel rub while maxing out effort in the drops. These wheels don't flex at all! I have absolutely no issues with these wheels at all thus far. Total milage is about 1200. The GP5000 25 mm tire fit the rims really nicely. Mounting tires has been extremely easy. Brake performance is excellent with the stock pads.

RadB

by RadB

I just installed a set of hyper 65mm disc on a 2020 propel SL, with 25/28 Conti 5000tl. They replaced some farsport 28mm kaze in 45/58.

I have ridden twice and both times have already had a few big creak/sharp groans that are pretty disturbing. I was expecting a few things destressing but not these. I thought my frame cracked, but there was no evidence of any wheel or frame damage. Prior to installation I disassembled the freehub, cleaned out and lubed with ample quality grease after watching cams video, linked above. Worth noting the freehub pawls engage sequentially over ~1-2degrees, not simultaneously, and presume that flex is factored in. As far as comfort goes, they are stiffer and bouncier than steel spoked kaze, but more responsive to putting power down, there is no flex laterally either where the kaze you can wind up just a fraction when wagging the rear wheel in a slow sprint. Steering wise they are obviously stiffer, it has required a minor mental readjustment with the combination of 65mm front and stiffness, but I'll get there. They weigh 66g less overall than the kaze, but oddly feel slower to accelerate despite being more responsive. Maybe there is more mass in the rims themselves and less in the hubs, I don't know. In saying that, the carbon hook that engages the bead is wafer thin and again, mildly disturbing seeing the stresses it is under and the edge it presents to a TL tyre sidewall. I would not run soft / thin sidewall tyres on these like corsas. Once at speed they seemed as fast or faster, and the front end is twitchier with side breezes, as expected. On smooth paths the sensation of these wheels actually feels slower when riding, a smooth slow feeling, but they have clocked some v.fast times already so I will side with the data and collect more before sharing further thoughts on performance.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

RadB wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:54 am
I just installed a set of hyper 65mm disc on a 2020 propel SL, with 25/28 Conti 5000tl. They replaced some farsport 28mm kaze in 45/58.

I have ridden twice and both times have already had a few big creak/sharp groans that are pretty disturbing. I was expecting a few things destressing but not these. I thought my frame cracked, but there was no evidence of any wheel or frame damage. Prior to installation I disassembled the freehub, cleaned out and lubed with ample quality grease after watching cams video, linked above. Worth noting the freehub pawls engage sequentially over ~1-2degrees, not simultaneously, and presume that flex is factored in. As far as comfort goes, they are stiffer and bouncier than steel spoked kaze, but more responsive to putting power down, there is no flex laterally either where the kaze you can wind up just a fraction when wagging the rear wheel in a slow sprint. Steering wise they are obviously stiffer, it has required a minor mental readjustment with the combination of 65mm front and stiffness, but I'll get there. They weigh 66g less overall than the kaze, but oddly feel slower to accelerate despite being more responsive. Maybe there is more mass in the rims themselves and less in the hubs, I don't know. In saying that, the carbon hook that engages the bead is wafer thin and again, mildly disturbing seeing the stresses it is under and the edge it presents to a TL tyre sidewall. I would not run soft / thin sidewall tyres on these like corsas. Once at speed they seemed as fast or faster, and the front end is twitchier with side breezes, as expected. On smooth paths the sensation of these wheels actually feels slower when riding, a smooth slow feeling, but they have clocked some v.fast times already so I will side with the data and collect more before sharing further thoughts on performance.
Why did you replace the kaze? I'm considering these or the hypers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com