Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
HenryH

by HenryH

Hambini is the best we got.

The other thread on here quite recently where someone says Yoeleo C50 is faster than the Bora One.

There is just no way we can ever properly tell - even if I appreciate dacian's testing.

C36

by C36

dacian wrote: About the aero capabilities, I have huge doubts, even with the Hambini "measurements".
From several discussions with him, I have no doubt he did measure all the other wheels, the lack of detailed reported on the Hyper (just a raw number) could, potentially, be more questionable (and I think I read in the video comment section they were tested with 23mm tires that measured around 24/25mm installed, so great match with the 26mm rim width).

dacian wrote: I reiterate the fact that Hyper rim profile is exactly the same rounded V shape as the Hunt 50, which Hambini also tested and "destroyed it" as he likes to mention. A rounded V shaped rim will never be faster overall, than a perfect U profile.
Curious, how would you know they are “exactly” the same profile, both internally and externally?
The U shape has been brought to bring more stability in X-wind. If I recall properly tue latest bontrager are more like a rounded V than a pure U. Here from bontrager Image

dacian wrote:
Stiff they are indeed, but not as stiff for example, as a Campagnolo Shamal 2019 wheelset I rode a while back
Surprising, Shamal ultra display a fairly std stiffness values, 43N/mm would still be quite far from the Hypers that exceed the 50N/mm on the rear wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

C36 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:21 pm
dacian wrote: I reiterate the fact that Hyper rim profile is exactly the same rounded V shape as the Hunt 50, which Hambini also tested and "destroyed it" as he likes to mention. A rounded V shaped rim will never be faster overall, than a perfect U profile.
Curious, how would you know they are “exactly” the same profile, both internally and externally?
Well ChinaCycling are on this thread. They can answer that question - are Winspace Hyper's the same rim as Hunt UD Carbon Spoked wheelset?

If we believe Victor Major from Venn, then very few compnays have the capacity to make filament wound rims. Ostensibly the Hunt rim looks identical to Winspace. Stands to reason Winspace make rims for Hunt (and probably spokes too, hubs are hard to say). Also seems reasonable to suggest that they are made with the same rim tooling as opposed to Hunt having their own proprietry rim shape. Seems odd that the Hunt's are terrible for aero and Winspace are amazing. If all that lines up, Hambini's results are probably doctored. But that begs the question as to why a guy like Hambini would make that stuff up.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

dacian

by dacian

zappafile123 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:50 pm
C36 wrote:
Well ChinaCycling are on this thread. They can answer that question - are Winspace Hyper's the same rim as Hunt UD Carbon Spoked wheelset?

If we believe Victor Major from Venn, then very few compnays have the capacity to make filament wound rims. Ostensibly the Hunt rim looks identical to Winspace. Stands to reason Winspace make rims for Hunt (and probably spokes too, hubs are hard to say). Also seems reasonable to suggest that they are made with the same rim tooling as opposed to Hunt having their own proprietry rim shape. Seems odd that the Hunt's are terrible for aero and Winspace are amazing. If all that lines up, Hambini's results are probably doctored. But that begs the question as to why a guy like Hambini would make that stuff up.

Most likely they (Hunt and Winspace) outsource the rim production maybe to the same manufacturer. More, I would say that this wound filament concept it's the manufacturer property. Neither of Hunt or Winspace claim that this is their propietary design

dacian

by dacian

C36 wrote:
dacian wrote: About the aero capabilities, I have huge doubts, even with the Hambini "measurements".
From several discussions with him, I have no doubt he did measure all the other wheels, the lack of detailed reported on the Hyper (just a raw number) could, potentially, be more questionable (and I think I read in the video comment section they were tested with 23mm tires that measured around 24/25mm installed, so great match with the 26mm rim width).

The U shape has been brought to bring more stability in X-wind. If I recall properly tue latest bontrager are more like a rounded V than a pure U. Here from bontrager Image

dacian wrote:
Stiff they are indeed, but not as stiff for example, as a Campagnolo Shamal 2019 wheelset I rode a while back
Surprising, Shamal ultra display a fairly std stiffness values, 43N/mm would still be quite far from the Hypers that exceed the 50N/mm on the rear wheel.

Any lab measurements you can do on a wheel (stiffnes or aero) would cover a very limited number of real life situations when riding a bike> Maybe the stiffnes numbers Hyper rear wheel are correct, but when you use the wheels almost daily, sprint or just accelerate with them in different styles, the what you call just feeling, becomes a certitude, even more, when you check the data and your max powers are higher with those wheels, you have a bonus confirmation on your perception.

The rims are outsourced from the same manufacturer, (somebody from Winspace admited here that they are outsourced). I have the Hyper wheels, the filament layout, the shape (which is very easy to check on Hunt website) are identical. The internal and external width are the same. The only thing that is different is the finishing Let's not be naive and think that the particular manufacturer would use diffefrent moulds for Winspace and Hunt, that would generate much higher costs. More, it's a industry reality that different product manufacturers often share same components for theire projects. It is obvious that they developed a very similar product, but I don't know who used who for inspiration. Of course, we are talking about rims here. The only parts that Hyper claims it's theire concept (and that I believe) are the hubs. All the rest are outsourced (spokes, nipples, rims )

C36

by C36

dacian wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:
C36 wrote:

Most likely they (Hunt and Winspace) outsource the rim production maybe to the same manufacturer. More, I would say that this wound filament concept it's the manufacturer property. Neither of Hunt or Winspace claim that this is their propietary design
Hambini Hunt wheels tested were a 2018 version, then not the same type they use now.
It’s clear the rim is outsourced like all the other components (hubs are available elsewhere too).
Now judging just based on a manufacturing process can be very missleading a rim mold is really no crazy money to make.

Arno1

by Arno1

Peak Torque has also analyzed the Hyper wheels. In addition to his technical expertise, he regularly rides a bike and it seems difficult to issue a reliable criticism if you do not have a minimum of cycling practice.

C36

by C36

dacian wrote: Any lab measurements you can do on a wheel (stiffnes or aero) would cover a very limited number of real life situations when riding a bike> Maybe the stiffnes numbers Hyper rear wheel are correct, but when you use the wheels almost daily, sprint or just accelerate with them in different styles, the what you call just feeling, becomes a certitude, even more, when you check the data and your max powers are higher with those wheels, you have a bonus confirmation on your perception.
Not sure what power you refer to (peak or average).

To have conducted those types of tests, there is a very direct link between stiffness and (out of the saddle) power output, especially maximum power peak… and it’s very very quick to be mislead by other elements especially if you don’t measure extremely accurately other parameters, for example a higher aero drag (as the shamal) will necessarily lead to higher power average non-correlated to the speed difference you would observe.

MariusRO

by MariusRO

dacian wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:58 am
About the aero capabilities, I have huge doubts, even with the Hambini "measurements". I reiterate the fact that Hyper rim profile is exactly the same rounded V shape as the Hunt 50, which Hambini also tested and "destroyed it" as he likes to mention. A rounded V shaped rim will never be faster overall, than a perfect U profile. Stiff they are indeed, but not as stiff for example, as a Campagnolo Shamal 2019 wheelset I rode a while back
He said in a later comment that those Hunts were a previous gen, not the latest :)

dacian

by dacian

MariusRO wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:06 pm
dacian wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:58 am
About the aero capabilities, I have huge doubts, even with the Hambini "measurements". I reiterate the fact that Hyper rim profile is exactly the same rounded V shape as the Hunt 50, which Hambini also tested and "destroyed it" as he likes to mention. A rounded V shaped rim will never be faster overall, than a perfect U profile. Stiff they are indeed, but not as stiff for example, as a Campagnolo Shamal 2019 wheelset I rode a while back
He said in a later comment that those Hunts were a previous gen, not the latest :)
Aha, ok :thumbup:

dacian

by dacian

C36 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:47 am
dacian wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:
C36 wrote:

Hambini Hunt wheels tested were a 2018 version, then not the same type they use now.
It’s clear the rim is outsourced like all the other components (hubs are available elsewhere too).
Now judging just based on a manufacturing process can be very missleading a rim mold is really no crazy money to make.
Where did you spot similar hubs?

dacian

by dacian

C36 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:22 pm
dacian wrote: Any lab measurements you can do on a wheel (stiffnes or aero) would cover a very limited number of real life situations when riding a bike> Maybe the stiffnes numbers Hyper rear wheel are correct, but when you use the wheels almost daily, sprint or just accelerate with them in different styles, the what you call just feeling, becomes a certitude, even more, when you check the data and your max powers are higher with those wheels, you have a bonus confirmation on your perception.
Not sure what power you refer to (peak or average).

To have conducted those types of tests, there is a very direct link between stiffness and (out of the saddle) power output, especially maximum power peak… and it’s very very quick to be mislead by other elements especially if you don’t measure extremely accurately other parameters, for example a higher aero drag (as the shamal) will necessarily lead to higher power average non-correlated to the speed difference you would observe.
We are talking strictly about max powers in sprinting, regardless the speed, obviousely on the same setup (bike)

2000m2

by 2000m2

Has anyone used tubular, rim brake wheels from Winspace? I see some listed on their site, but out of stock and not sure if they're still making them.
Last edited by 2000m2 on Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sbassios

by Sbassios

Hello,
I would like to ask as i am new to disc brakes..at this moment my bike has 6bolt rotor,with the hyper i will need centre lock or i can fit the 6bolt?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Sbassios wrote:Hello,
I would like to ask as i am new to disc brakes..at this moment my bike has 6bolt rotor,with the hyper i will need centre lock or i can fit the 6bolt?
You need to buy new discs probably, i dont think they make 6 bolts dics