Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bruno2000

by bruno2000

Somebody has an Aethos bikes with 38 or 50mm Hyper wheels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ronin416

by Ronin416

cloud9blue wrote:
Tiaxx wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:11 am
Got a question for those of you that already have a pair of these wheels, and to all the wheels experts out there...
Got a Canyon on the way, with the old DT SWISS 1400 wheels. Should i sell those and get me a pair of winspace wheels? Or should i stick with the old DT SWISS ones?
What do you think guys?
It is a wash really. DT has a well proven and incredibly reliable hub, but older rim designs that are better suited for 23mm tires. Heavier as well. Hyper uses propiertary hub w/ ceramic bearings which IMO is a bit gimmicky--but they are easily replaceable. The rims are lighter and stiffer due to the filament wound construction.

You can probably sell the DT wheels for the price of Hyper. So if you don't care about brand image or whatever, I would go for the Hyper instead.
The hubs are designed to accommodate their carbon spokes. The carbon spokes are approximately 2.6g per spoke vs 4 grams per spoke on a CX-Ray. Check out Luecher Tech on YouTube for the tensile test of the carbon spokes. Impressive. The larger easily replaceable. For example if you ever needed a set of high quality set of Euduro Bearings, it cost you about $50 US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Mcdeez wrote:Anywone had a chance to weight the 50 mm disc version?

I have to admit ,these wheels are tempting.
Roughly 1454g

Ronin416

by Ronin416

hannawald wrote:
bkromann wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:26 am
Mcdeez wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:15 am
If you want to save weight and add stiffness, I would go with hyper.
But how much is really going to matter for me, when I'm not a pro? Is it worth the extra 200€?
Yes, because they are the best:) and if you don't buy them you will always have doubts in the future if you should have bought the best. It is not such a big difference and you will have carbon spokes with the best stiffness. They are simply amazing value. I believe they could sell them easily even for higher price. Do you count with the discount codes from chinacycling or durianrider or other guys? There is the code somewhere here in the thread.
Smoothpedlar10 saves you 10%

Ronin416

by Ronin416

bertym92 wrote:Hi everyone !

I ordered the Hyper 38 mm rim brake wheels last week and should receive them next week.

I just had one question to the current owners of these wheels. Winspace website mentions "Over-sized 17mm central axles", does that mean the quick release skewers are 17 mm wide ?

My question is do you think I can use the QR skewers from my Mavic cosmic wheelset on the Hyper ? I understood the QR skewers provided by Winspace are very cheap.

Also I am thinking about buying new tyres for this wheelset and keeping my current wheels for winter, has anyone some feedback on tyres fitting well on the Hyper 38 ?

Thanks for your answers !
I’m using some Zipp skewers on my 38mm Hypers and had used them on a 50mm set of Hypers.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

bertym92 wrote:Hi everyone !

I ordered the Hyper 38 mm rim brake wheels last week and should receive them next week.

I just had one question to the current owners of these wheels. Winspace website mentions "Over-sized 17mm central axles", does that mean the quick release skewers are 17 mm wide ?

My question is do you think I can use the QR skewers from my Mavic cosmic wheelset on the Hyper ? I understood the QR skewers provided by Winspace are very cheap.

Also I am thinking about buying new tyres for this wheelset and keeping my current wheels for winter, has anyone some feedback on tyres fitting well on the Hyper 38 ?

Thanks for your answers !
GP5000 clinchers fit quite easily.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Supersix56 wrote:
romanmoser wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:16 pm
the guy is a meme
and selling open mold , always telling my frame
his opinion is a valid as anyone drunk ( mmmh not maybe less )
I dont like how much Durianrider swears in his vids but his advice has helped me drop 18kg and I havent had to starve. My doctor said last visit 'I dont know what you are doing but keep doing it!"

Every bit of Durianriders advice Ive put action into Ive been glad I did.

My supersix that cost me 10 grand is an open mould. Next bike I will get from Durianrider for sure. Happy to support his cause. Least I can do.
I love the honesty, I too am not a fan of his swearing but there’s some truth of what he’s saying - at times.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Mcdeez wrote:
RDY wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:05 am
Looks like lun/winspace are making wheels for hunt lol rebranded and more expensiveImageImage
Winspace don't make their wheels. Neither do Hunt. Unless you mean lacing them (not sure Hunt even do that?).
No, Lun are making the wheels for winspace
Same difference, as LÚN is the wheel brand of Winspace.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Kurt1980 wrote:
Beancouter wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:45 am
Gwcman wrote:I"m torn between a set of Winspace 50's (rim brake) & a set of Farsports 50's, I really like the look of the Winspace wheels & they're lighter @ 1349g vs 1480g +/- 30g with DT240 hubs, however the only thing that leaves me a little uneasy is the durability of the Winspace hub, however I do like the sound of the free hub. I'd like to hear more about the Winspace hub. The difference between the 2 is $174 USD,,,decisions :/

Cheers,
Assume you have a code for 10% of at winspace ? Just in case it changes your thinking

Where does one acquire said discount code?
Smoothpedlar10 will do it. Let me know if any problems.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

MC356 wrote:
C36 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:25 pm
Few comments from someone who have run those tests many times (and was using anemometer for wind speed measures and correcting power outputs) even like, this reproduction is needed to average result.

Few things that can play (either increasing the gap measured, reducing or inverting the result)
- tires width installed on the rim
- tires integration with the rim
- pressure inaccuracies
- pressures corrected with the real tire width
- position on the bike
- weight loss during the tests
- RR differences between same tires and tubes due to manufacturing tolerances.

I know this test isnt perfect but it proved to me that what I was feeling was ture, my Hyper wheels feel slow. Luckily I had a friend who was nice enough to loan me his Vision wheels for this test.

Here are some answers to your questions
- tires width installed on the rim, Both tires are 25mm tubeless at 85psi with about the same miles on them
- pressure inaccuracies, checked with track pump and digital gauge too.
- position on the bike, On the hood for all tests
- weight loss during the tests, test were done within 15 to 20 min of each other so count a few oz in sweat?
- RR differences between same tires and tubes due to manufacturing tolerances. Yes the tires are different but how much of a difference will it make in a 1 and .6 mile test that doesn't involve hard cornering, braking or sprinting.

Some thoughts after a few days from doing this test.
-Maybe the bearing on my Hypers are shot? A lot of people are commenting on youtube that they are faster with hypers than other carbon wheels. But Iive in southern california and these wheels have only been ridden in nice condition, no rain or mud or dirt.
-Maybe I have a defective set of Hypers that are causing this speed loss and spoke issues.
-Maybe these wheels really are this slow and the youtube influencers are hush hush paid to say good things? Have any of them used the wheels for 1000 miles? I mean if a brand gives you a product to review for free with a discount code for your viewer to use and if your viewers use that code you get some sort of payout you would only say good things so your viewers use your code and you get paid right? If you give them a negative review none of your viewers will buy them so no payout.
-I cant wait to see Winspace take all the feedback they get and see what the gen 2 of the hypers will look like. I think if they built them with a brand name hub it would be a winner!

I'm just a fan of cycling and riding, im telling my experience with these wheels, not trying to bash Winspace or chinese wheels, I have BTLOS wheels on my mtb and I love them so I felt comfortable buying the Hypers. With all the hype about the Hypers I was really disappointed. Almost like going on a date with a girl you met online and once you see her she doesn't look like her pics on her profile :o
Interesting testing, I’ve been on 50mm and now 38mm Hypers and they feel faster than my old CLX40 and Rolf Ares 4.

People are missing how wide that aero profile is the carbon spokes are not to mention super stiff. It’s literally wide as DTSwiss’s widest aero spoke used on their 80mm TT wheel. But Winspace is using them on a road wheel!

Those blades just slice through the wind and I notice the acceleration on downhills, these wheels are fast!

As for stable, they could be wider which would suit a lot riders out there who ride at slower speeds, but they work well with with a 25mm tire and are ideal for speed of 25-30k/hr plus. Plus a wider wheels would just be heavier, no bueno for the weight weenies.

The 38mm are more agile as expected with shallower wheels, but loving the stiffness these provide. Check out Luecher Tech video on the tensile test of the carbon spokes. Impressive stuff and it’ll give you a good comparison how stiff they really are.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

MC356 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:14 pm
SixThirteen wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:15 pm
@MC356 sent PM with a spin down video
Thanks for the video!
Ya mine don't spin that freely at all.
That just seems wrong by itself and would skew testing.

MC356

by MC356

Ronin416 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:37 am
MC356 wrote:
SixThirteen wrote:
Thanks for the video!
Here is my latest youtube video about my Hypers and a hub breakdown and "spin" tests.
https://youtu.be/J_JAQCmJ31s
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

Ronin416

by Ronin416

MC356 wrote:
Ronin416 wrote:
MC356 wrote:
SixThirteen wrote:
Thanks for the video!
Here is my latest youtube video about my Hypers and a hub breakdown and "spin" tests.
Ever think that there’s less rotational weight with carbon spokes???

Voss27

by Voss27

MC356 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:11 pm
Ronin416 wrote:
MC356 wrote:
SixThirteen wrote:
Thanks for the video!
Yeah the spin test shows your Hyper wheels and that set of bearings were not spinning as freely as they should.

My 38mm rim Hypers spin like the Visions in your video. With the valve at the top, after letting go of the wheel the valve goes down past the bottom point, continues up past the 9 o'clock position, then goes down again for a further 3-4 times before slowly setting with the valve at the bottom.

It's nice that you got a refund, but it would have been interesting to see if the bearings were bad and if replacing them would have cured your issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MC356

by MC356

Voss27 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:55 pm
MC356 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:11 pm
Ronin416 wrote:
MC356 wrote:

Thanks for the video!
Yeah the spin test shows your Hyper wheels and that set of bearings were not spinning as freely as they should.

My 38mm rim Hypers spin like the Visions in your video. With the valve at the top, after letting go of the wheel the valve goes down past the bottom point, continues up past the 9 o'clock position, then goes down again for a further 3-4 times before slowly setting with the valve at the bottom.

It's nice that you got a refund, but it would have been interesting to see if the bearings were bad and if replacing them would have cured your issue.
Ya im lucky the refunded me. I thought about chaning the bearing out but I didnt want to play a detective and wanted t be able to ride my bike :P
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO