Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

oops ignore
Last edited by SixThirteen on Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:18 pm
Has anyone gotten a set of Hypers that aren't overweight? It seems like everyones are over spec.
You don't mention which rim depth or braking method.

My 38/rim came in around 1285g with tubeless tape pre-installed

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:53 am
Has anyone seen a rim profile for these wheels? Neither Winspace nor Hunt (which use the same rims) seem to publish ones on their website. They appear to be a V profile with 26mm being the widest point at the brake track.

Interesting that despite the trend of wider rims - rims wider than the tires, Hambini thinks the Winspace are the fastest wheels at 30kph because they are narrower and he recomends rims the same width as your wheels.
I posted a photo of mine upthread. They are U shaped

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Ronin416 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:23 am
Mocs123 wrote:Has anyone seen a rim profile for these wheels? Neither Winspace nor Hunt (which use the same rims) seem to publish ones on their website. They appear to be a V profile with 26mm being the widest point at the brake track.

Interesting that despite the trend of wider rims - rims wider than the tires, Hambini thinks the Winspace are the fastest wheels at 30kph because they are narrower and he recomends rims the same width as your wheels.
Narrower is faster at higher averages. Wider is ideal for slower averages and better for less experienced riders in cross winds to a certain point. Hence the popularity. Look at Swissside’s testing and profiles previously before succumbing to wide rim popularity train.
Do you have a reference for that?

https://bikerumor.com/new-dt-swiss-arc- ... odynamics/

"We were in the GST wind tunnel with DT Swiss just three years ago when they first unveiled the overhauled aerodynamics of their ARC carbon wheels in a partnership with aero experts Swiss Side. At that time, they demonstrated big aero gains going from V to U-shaped rims. Now they are back with a complete redesign, something of an even better middle ground that they are calling a VU-shaped profile."

Mocs123

by Mocs123

SixThirteen wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:30 am
Mocs123 wrote:
Has anyone gotten a set of Hypers that aren't overweight? It seems like everyones are over spec.

I'm specifically looking at the 50mm Rim Brake.

Thank you for the picture of the rim above. I'm assuming 26mm is the width at the braketrack and that is the widest point of the wheel?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:21 am
SixThirteen wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:30 am
Mocs123 wrote:

I'm specifically looking at the 50mm Rim Brake.

Thank you for the picture of the rim above. I'm assuming 26mm is the width at the braketrack and that is the widest point of the wheel?
No, the rim gets (slightly) wider towards the hub after the brake track. Can't find the exact spec on their website though it does say "26mm external and 19mm internal rim". With a 23mm Conti 5000 on the front they meet the 105% rule

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I emailed Winspace the other day and they did respond this morning with this rim profile if anyone else is interested.
Attachments
Winspace Hyper X.png

plunder

by plunder

My 50mm Hypers (rim brake) arrived yesterday.
Put them on a scale as they came (with tape and valves installed).
Front: 585g
Rear: 757g
so a total of 1342g. Extremely light considering those valves probably add around 15g too.

There was also a decent amount of grease when I checked, so Winspace probably listened to comments on the net/feedback.

Rim tape is installed perfectly, without any bubbles or wrinkles. Customer support was good too (added 3 packs of brake pads as people say they are probably the best choice with the hypers), I got feedback whenever I needed.
Shippment via XDB to Europe took about a month, and that includes all the public holidays.

Just considering the theoretical part, I am extremely happy. Really looking forward to running those wheels in the Alps when spring comes.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

1342g with valves is darn good.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I just got my 65mm discs. I love them but I just have one concern. I tried mounting a 25 gp5000 and had a tough time with it. Didn't manage to install it, but I'll try mounting them to a different rim a few times to loosen them up.

When I took the tires of, I saw alot of scratches. I did use levers which I know I shouldn't have. Bet putting that aside, I am still seeing scratches everywhere along the edges, not just where the lever have been. It's more or less the whole way around. It seems like it's been caused by the tire and handling. I don't understand how they scratch so easily.

I know they are sanded down for a raw look. But that's not what I'm talking about. The rear wheel which hasn't been touched yet has no scratches other than the original ones.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Ronin416

by Ronin416

plunder wrote:My 50mm Hypers (rim brake) arrived yesterday.
Put them on a scale as they came (with tape and valves installed).
Front: 585g
Rear: 757g
so a total of 1342g. Extremely light considering those valves probably add around 15g too.

There was also a decent amount of grease when I checked, so Winspace probably listened to comments on the net/feedback.

Rim tape is installed perfectly, without any bubbles or wrinkles. Customer support was good too (added 3 packs of brake pads as people say they are probably the best choice with the hypers), I got feedback whenever I needed.
Shippment via XDB to Europe took about a month, and that includes all the public holidays.

Just considering the theoretical part, I am extremely happy. Really looking forward to running those wheels in the Alps when spring comes.
Glad to hear everything worked out for you. They’ve been on top of improving their details based on customer feedback and increased QC checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Roadbiker10 wrote:I just got my 65mm discs. I love them but I just have one concern. I tried mounting a 25 gp5000 and had a tough time with it. Didn't manage to install it, but I'll try mounting them to a different rim a few times to loosen them up.

When I took the tires of, I saw alot of scratches. I did use levers which I know I shouldn't have. Bet putting that aside, I am still seeing scratches everywhere along the edges, not just where the lever have been. It's more or less the whole way around. It seems like it's been caused by the tire and handling. I don't understand how they scratch so easily.

I know they are sanded down for a raw look. But that's not what I'm talking about. The rear wheel which hasn't been touched yet has no scratches other than the original ones.

- The wheels have a coating of clear after it comes out of the model. Not very much. Other brands spray black to hide their patterns.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Ronin416 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:47 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:I just got my 65mm discs. I love them but I just have one concern. I tried mounting a 25 gp5000 and had a tough time with it. Didn't manage to install it, but I'll try mounting them to a different rim a few times to loosen them up.

- The wheels have a coating of clear after it comes out of the model. Not very much. Other brands spray black to hide their patterns.
I understand, they really are easy to scratch. Although they don't stick out that much since it already is made to look raw.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I managed to mount one on another wheel, but there was no way to do it without levers. I did it twice to try and stretch it.

Does leaving the tire pumped up help with maybe stretching it a bit? I never had this much of an issue with mounting tires before, been always able to do it by hand. But these are impossible. I got blisters on my thumbs trying to mount it.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Mocs123

by Mocs123

You probably already know this but laying them out in the sun (yeah - probably not the time of year for that) or using a hair dryer can help. Also using soapy water, and lastly using a towel or gloves can help you mount tough tires without getting blisters. Continental GP5000's tend to be a bear on some rims though. I finally bought a tire mounting tool (Kool Stop) for use at home but I haven't had to use it yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com