Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Update after about 500 kms

After a 120km ride started to have a ticking noise comming from the hub at almost every pedal stroke.

Inspected, opened the hub(really simple and easy) there was a little bit of dirt where the paws engage,theres almost no grease or lub in the area,cleaned it and put a little grease(water resistant), and added alittle grease in the bearings too,no more noise.

The seals on the hubs are not protecting well from dirt or water i guess,i would suggest to put some water resistant/bearing grease where the hub is sealing to have more protection from water/dirt.

Other than that, awesome wheels :)

F45

by F45

These guys could own the high performance xc category if they put some work into their mtb design. They should have a 28/28 wheelset that is 1100 grams, 25mm width. I'll be watching.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emotive

by emotive

HenryH wrote:
It would be cool to know more about which parts of the bike are giving you "comfort". Peak torque did a little video on seat stays recently. How those most likely hardly matter at all. My guess tires would be a huge % of the vertical compliance.
On the Marginal Gains podcast they said tyres give 10x the compliance of the frame, and the frame gives 10x the compliance of the wheels.

With modern disc frames having clearance for 32mm tyres we can very cheaply and quickly adjust the bike compliance to suit the event just by changing to a larger or smaller pair of tyres.

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

Below is the disassembly for the Winspace Rear Hub that comes with my Hyper 38 Disc.
It consists of 2 x 6903 bearings, and 2 x 6803 bearing.
Freehub is a 6 pawls design and decently loud.
While the bearing is hybrid ceramics, I chose to replace it with standard industrial NTN/NSK non-contact seal bearing.
ie...
NSK 6903VV
NSK 6803VV
NTN 6903LLB
NTN 6803LLB
Hope this can be useful.
winspace_hub_rear2.jpg
Last edited by ongbenghui on Wed May 05, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Looks nice. 6903 on the left side is overkill. You will never have to change it unless the seal is broken.

The seal around the freehub looks like it's lacking. How dirty is the freehub mechanism when you open it up?

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

alcatraz wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:19 pm
Looks nice. 6903 on the left side is overkill. You will never have to change it unless the seal is broken.

The seal around the freehub looks like it's lacking. How dirty is the freehub mechanism when you open it up?
I was looking at replacing the inner bearings (right side for the hub) (left side of the freehub) with metal shield but drop the idea.

The rubber seal for the freehub is on the hub body. I didn't show it in the picture. I think the seal is reasonable.
I don't find the freehub mechanism dirty, however, I have the habit of putting some grease on the freehub seal to keep the dirt and water out.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Pretty disappointed. Not sure I got a defective wheel but when installing my clincher tire on rear wheel and using plastic tire lever, I heard an odd noise, like crunching. I pulled the lever out and noticed the carbon fiber delaminated where the lever was. The tires I was putting on were a bit difficult, but not more than others I've dealt with. The area is small but wondering if it will spread to the brake track area.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

ImageImageImage

HenryH

by HenryH

Oh man. That is a bummer. I have no idea how much it should be able to take, but hopefully that isn´t suppose to happen and that you will get a new one.

HenryH

by HenryH

emotive wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:13 am
HenryH wrote:
It would be cool to know more about which parts of the bike are giving you "comfort". Peak torque did a little video on seat stays recently. How those most likely hardly matter at all. My guess tires would be a huge % of the vertical compliance.
On the Marginal Gains podcast they said tyres give 10x the compliance of the frame, and the frame gives 10x the compliance of the wheels.

With modern disc frames having clearance for 32mm tyres we can very cheaply and quickly adjust the bike compliance to suit the event just by changing to a larger or smaller pair of tyres.
Thanks. Interesting. Not that I would ever ride a disc bike 8)

Fits well with my personal experience. I got two road bikes - and in terms of vertical compliance I doubt I would be able to tell the difference if I did a "blind test" - one feels maybe a tad stiffer, but I wonder if that is more down to the sound is different if I hit something, ride over a bump in the road etc. - even if the bikes are quite different. I run 25mm clinchers with latex tubes on both of them for 99% of the time.

Looking forward to getting the new Hyper wheels. Will see if I´m still of the same opinion. Will go tubeless on those though - so that might make them feel slightly different. Not sure. Going from butyl to latex felt like it was different, but hard to say again if I would have noticed in a blind test.

Neocat

by Neocat

ongbenghui wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:46 pm
alcatraz wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:19 pm

I was looking at replacing the inner bearings (right side for the hub) (left side of the freehub) with metal shield but drop the idea.

The rubber seal for the freehub is on the hub body. I didn't show it in the picture. I think the seal is reasonable.
I don't find the freehub mechanism dirty, however, I have the habit of putting some grease on the freehub seal to keep the dirt and water out.
Would you recommend adding grease to mint Hypers? Aren't they made to withstand less than clement weather out of the box?

Reading @Mcdeez post above made me concerned over wet weather durability of these wheels.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

jzinckgra wrote:Pretty disappointed. Not sure I got a defective wheel but when installing my clincher tire on rear wheel and using plastic tire lever, I heard an odd noise, like crunching. I pulled the lever out and noticed the carbon fiber delaminated where the lever was. The tires I was putting on were a bit difficult, but not more than others I've dealt with. The area is small but wondering if it will spread to the brake track area.

ImageImageImage
Next disappointment. Rear wheel is very tight and does not spin with skewer. Only way is make skewer very loose. Someone else mentioned this here. At this rate, I may just ask for a refund. Don't want to deal with this.

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

Neocat wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:15 pm
ongbenghui wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:46 pm

Would you recommend adding grease to mint Hypers? Aren't they made to withstand less than clement weather out of the box?

Reading @Mcdeez post above made me concerned over wet weather durability of these wheels.
I kinds of a rainy season now, and already went thru 2 sets of rain. I wouldn't worry about wet weather durability.
However, I will also suggest regular servicing as well.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

jzinckgra wrote:Pretty disappointed. Not sure I got a defective wheel but when installing my clincher tire on rear wheel and using plastic tire lever, I heard an odd noise, like crunching. I pulled the lever out and noticed the carbon fiber delaminated where the lever was. The tires I was putting on were a bit difficult, but not more than others I've dealt with. The area is small but wondering if it will spread to the brake track area.

ImageImageImage
Never pry on a carbon wheel with the leveler when installing the tire!

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Mcdeez wrote:

ImageImageImage
Well how else would you get it on. I'm pretty strong and forearms and thumbs are not enough sometimes. Levers are necessary

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

jzinckgra wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:

ImageImageImage
Well how else would you get it on. I'm pretty strong and forearms and thumbs are not enough sometimes. Levers are necessary

Any rim could crack that way