Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Boboboss

by Boboboss

HenryH wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:57 pm
dacian wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:30 pm
HenryH wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:00 pm
Is the spoke rub issue real?

Letting it slip? I can't exactly remember, but isn't he showing the Strava times? Kind of difficult to "hide" the performance then?

I'm not sure if there is a big test anywhere of wheels? Hambini has his of course. At 30 kmh disregarding the Hunt wheels which are much worse than the rest then all the 50mm wheels are within 3 watts of each other.

What happens in real life if the tire you mount is 2mm wider than the other - even from the same manufacturer etc.?

I can't know of course, then again I don't think anyone can say, but I would not worry about buying the "regular" Lun's instead of the Hyper in terms of power required to reach a certain speed.
Just fyi, the Hunt wheels that Hambini "destroyed" have the exact same shaped rim as the Hyper, check previous posts here, Hunt sells now the same fillament like rim as hyper with the same shape (rounded V). And you are right, no hesitations needed if you would choose Lun instead Hyper
I am assuming the Hunt 50mm wheels from 2018 are not exactly the same as Hyper 2020? Would be a good question to ask him I guess.

Even if they were the same I would have no idea as to how much one wheelset would vary with another wheelset from the same OEM. And you would potentially get into the same issues as to the size of the tire mounted. The same tire might not be the same tire - basically.

Too much is made of this - as in which wheels are "good" and "bad" - in my opinion - because there clearly is not an open discussion going on as to how to best test wheels and how to interpret data. I wish someone would have the "&%"#% to take a bunch of wheels, detail the protocol and make the results public (Hambini is the closest we got I guess - maybe Tour has done something? Others that I don't know about?). Then I am sure there would be a discussion about how good the protocol used is etc. - but at least then we might be able to get to a point one time in the future where consumers might make informed decisions about which wheels to get. To read another test done by some random 43 year old cyclist saying that the wheels "feel" "fast" and "responsive" gives me nothing. So utter pointless.

Even the manufacturers hardly even say how they know that their new generation of wheels is better than the previous generation. Would Winspace make a claim regarding the Hyper vs Lun? Even if during a certain way of testing they probably wouldn't want people to know that the theoretical saving is 2.3 watts?

I still love my Hypers and if I had a girlfriend with a road bike I would definitely buy her some Luns :lol:
You forgot that the wheels "spin up very fast" and "retain speed very well".. To be fair wouldn't we all love to do these sponsored bs reviews while riding DA Di2 Canyons and Orbeas, dressed in full Castelli kits á'la GCN.

To stay on topic, I'm not racy or powerful enough to care about 2.3 watts of savings but I do care about potentially having to spend time on warranty issues of a Chinese product that can take months to ship back and forth. I spoke with a European Winspace importer earlier today and they told me that I'm lucky I ordered the Lúns already because both Lúns and Hypers are going to get more expensive very soon, which make sense since Winspace already has so many orders they are struggling to keep up with production and shipping.

HenryH

by HenryH

Then Lun would be the way to go. Personally I have never had any issues with any of my wheels, but obviously it might happen some day. For spokes I'm quite confident the 3 spares should be enough though.

And it unfortunately makes sense for Winspace to increase prices. Ridiculous how fast some of these batches sell out. Hopefully it gives them the financial muscle to expand production as well as continue development for wheels, frames etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Going on two months waiting on a warrantied hyper38 rear rim replacement. Emailed a couple times in last 2 wks and no response. They said they would ship, but I think they're in the middle of moving to another office. Not really thrilled about the 'after purchase' customer svc.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

[deleted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shokster65

by Shokster65

jzinckgra wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:31 pm
Going on two months waiting on a warrantied hyper38 rear rim replacement. Emailed a couple times in last 2 wks and no response. They said they would ship, but I think they're in the middle of moving to another office. Not really thrilled about the 'after purchase' customer svc.
Joe @ Chinacycling does seem to have gone quiet these days. I too had a warranty replacement. It took a bit of time to get here as supplies are low. Also seem to be using additional factories for finishing the wheels and I noticed a difference between the original and the replacement wheels. I sped up the replacement a bit by offering to pay for express shipping. It's additional cost but it might be worth it. I didn't do that with the original wheels and they took aaaaaaaagggggeeeeeeeesssss to arrive.

Neocat

by Neocat

Shokster65 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:59 am
jzinckgra wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:31 pm
Joe @ Chinacycling does seem to have gone quiet these days. I too had a warranty replacement. It took a bit of time to get here as supplies are low. Also seem to be using additional factories for finishing the wheels and I noticed a difference between the original and the replacement wheels. I sped up the replacement a bit by offering to pay for express shipping. It's additional cost but it might be worth it. I didn't do that with the original wheels and they took aaaaaaaagggggeeeeeeeesssss to arrive.
How do they differ? Which looks better of the two?

MariusRO

by MariusRO

I would appreciate an opinion regarding the hyper 65mm wheels vs hyper 50.

@chinacycling was mentioning several pages ago that the difference "is marginal on paper"-> can you give us some numbers?

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

Hey guys, sorry, I'm back (Again!)

We moved to a new office, and are hiring lots of new people in all departments. (Including after sales-support) and getting them all trained up. Like anything growth isn't easy and we're doing our best. We're super humbled by the popularity of our wheels but also aware that there's a small percentage of people having less than stellar experiences.

Fortunately, looking at the past few pages of this thread, a bit of grease is doing the job for everyone who was having issues with creaking. It's obviously not great, but at least it's an easy fix.

Anyone who is still having communication issues, set your email priority to 'high' and cc me [ joe at winspace-bikes.com ]

U24

by U24

ChinaCycling wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:44 am

We moved to a new office, and are hiring lots of new people in all departments. (Including after sales-support) and getting them all trained up. Like anything growth isn't easy and we're doing our best. We're super humbled by the popularity of our wheels but also aware that there's a small percentage of people having less than stellar experiences.

Fortunately, looking at the past few pages of this thread, a bit of grease is doing the job for everyone who was having issues with creaking. It's obviously not great, but at least it's an easy fix.

Anyone who is still having communication issues, set your email priority to 'high' and cc me [ joe at winspace-bikes.com ]
I'd also like to get help regarding my inquiry on buying a replacement freehub because the my freehub the threads on mine are stripped (where the cassette lock ring is attaced to). Ava said that I should rather contact/order from the LBS here in Australia but I prefer to buy directly from Winspace. Is that possible?

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

U24 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:09 am
ChinaCycling wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:44 am

I'd also like to get help regarding my inquiry on buying a replacement freehub because the my freehub the threads on mine are stripped (where the cassette lock ring is attaced to). Ava said that I should rather contact/order from the LBS here in Australia but I prefer to buy directly from Winspace. Is that possible?
I assume her reasoning was the shipping for a freehub would be more than the cost of the freehub. I'll enquire. :)

U24

by U24

I'd like to ask our experienced riders here - what's the minimum clearance between the tyres and the inside of the fork? I decided to upgrade to a pair of 28s from my 25s on my Hyper wheels and the new tires look a bit too close to the inside walls of the front fork. Do you guys think this looks okay or will they rub once I start riding them? My local LBS said I can exchange the 28s to 25s if they don't fit as long as I don't ride them. The tyres measure 29.47mm after inflation.

I'm using a Scultura 4000 2020 Rim which technically the max width is listed as 25mm. But the same bike with disc brakes can accommodate 28mm. Not sure if the fork opening is wider or because there are no calipers limiting the max width?

Edit: so I tested the clearance with my 3mm hex wrench and all the sides cleared. The only part that is tight is near the left pivot of the brake caliper.
Attachments
IMG_20210618_190828.jpg
IMG_20210618_190823.jpg
IMG_20210618_190819.jpg

Voss27

by Voss27

That's a bit too close IMO. You can ride them and be fine for 90% of your riding, but if you pick-up some small stones or leaves etc on the tire it's going to scratch up the inside of your fork. 25mm tires will probably be around 26mm on the wheels and that will be wide enough.

U24

by U24

Voss27 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:47 pm
That's a bit too close IMO. You can ride them and be fine for 90% of your riding, but if you pick-up some small stones or leaves etc on the tire it's going to scratch up the inside of your fork. 25mm tires will probably be around 26mm on the wheels and that will be wide enough.
Yeah I was thinking I would be okay in dry weather and smooth roads without much debris but it might get tricky on wet conditions.

Hoping others can share their setup if they have similar clearances and are doing just fine

HenryH

by HenryH

I would not have ridden that bike, but I wouldn't know. As Voss27 is saying you might be fine 90% of the time and not even notice if you are touching the frame occasionally. You could test with some tape, but then obviously you can't return the tires.

You might get more views and replies to that question asking it in another thread though. As I don't think that is strictly speaking related to Hyper wheels (even if the flex in the wheels would influence the probability of rubbing).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The clearance looks fine to me if the wheel is in good condition and has decent stiffness. (no play, low flex)

Is it safe to tour the world on or do 2000w sprints? Probably not. But that isn't the case is it? :)