Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Ronin416

by Ronin416

robbosmans wrote:Hunt has a blog post where they test the difference in stiffness between a steel and a carbon spoke, they only measured a 6% difference which isn’t a lot.

Anyway I get it now why people buy these
This probably best shown by the lateral stiffness done by both Luescher Teknik and Peak Torque on YouTube. The closest wheel in terms of lateral stiffness was an old school Ambroiso 32 hole box aluminum.

I’ve had a few strong Crit racers tell me when they run their rim brake pads real tight there was no rim brake pad rubbing with the Hypers. Though I’m not as strong I notice the stiffness with the 38’s and 50’s. I’ll try the 65 disc when I get the T1500 built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin416

by Ronin416

cloud9blue wrote:ceramic bearing is all marketing bs... carbon spokes are not though
Totally agree, especially after they get contaminated. Some high quality steel bearings are more than sufficient.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ronin416

by Ronin416

robbosmans wrote:Just curious why these became so popular, they obviously have done some clever marketing but they don’t seem that great when I compare them to other wheels in the same price range.
They are not that light, they are not that cheap.
So why would you go for them?
They need to me more expensive. $1200 is too cheap. $1600 is more inline with Hunt and the other brands starting to use carbon spokes.

But keep in mind, not all the carbon spokes are created equally or in the same factory. We know Hunt and Cadex along with Winspace are.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

cloud9blue wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:38 pm
ceramic bearing is all marketing bs... carbon spokes are not though
Not quite. All carbon spokes produced so far have higher drag (CdA). Carbon spokes = slower wheels for almost all riding.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

tjvirden wrote:
cloud9blue wrote:
Not quite. All carbon spokes produced so far have higher drag (CdA). Carbon spokes = slower wheels for almost all riding.
I disagree, not all as designs are the same. If you look closely at the profile of the Hyper spoke it is very reminiscent of the new DTSwiss - “DT new aero and DT aero comp” the later ONLY available on their ARC1100 80mm - not available separately for custom builds as told by the DT rep. Few spokes have such a wide profile with taper edges.

Good seeing DT team up with Swiss Side, as they has a lot creditable aero testing and industry relationships.

See pics for reference.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

integration

by integration

Ronin416 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:52 pm
robbosmans wrote:Hunt has a blog post where they test the difference in stiffness between a steel and a carbon spoke, they only measured a 6% difference which isn’t a lot.

Anyway I get it now why people buy these
This probably best shown by the lateral stiffness done by both Luescher Teknik and Peak Torque on YouTube. The closest wheel in terms of lateral stiffness was an old school Ambroiso 32 hole box aluminum.

I’ve had a few strong Crit racers tell me when they run their rim brake pads real tight there was no rim brake pad rubbing with the Hypers. Though I’m not as strong I notice the stiffness with the 38’s and 50’s. I’ll try the 65 disc when I get the T1500 built.

^ This. I'm on rim brakes, not ready to switch to discs yet. I was getting rubbing on my previous wheels (also carbon clinchers with pillar spokes) and had to leave a lot of space between the pads and the wheel on the rear calipers. Anything less than 3.5mm and the pads would rub even on medium effort for me. That left some braking performance to be desired in descents. I'm also a big boi at 85kg and squat 150+ kg. So far I'm pretty happy with the Hyper 65s.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Ronin416 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:52 pm
tjvirden wrote:
cloud9blue wrote:
I disagree, not all as designs are the same. If you look closely at the profile of the Hyper spoke it is very reminiscent of the new DTSwiss - “DT new aero and DT aero comp” the later ONLY available on their ARC1100 80mm - not available separately for custom builds as told by the DT rep. Few spokes have such a wide profile with taper edges.

Good seeing DT team up with Swiss Side, as they has a lot creditable aero testing and industry relationships.
They (the adjustable carbon spokes used by Winspace, Giant, Hunt etc) are not a disaster, but the main part of the problem for drag is that long bit of round section spoke, and large nipple, near the rim (have a close look at that DT Swiss wheel). The general size of the spoke is an additional factor - Aerolites & CX-Rays really are small and although not ideally shaped for aero they're very, very good from an overall drag perspective, especially with internal nipples.

Mavic Tracomp spokes really were an aero disaster - the worst carbon spoke by far; shape and size.

I think the Winspace wheels are decent value and if you do want extra stiffness then there's no doubt they deliver.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

What do 25 measure on the Hypers?

On my previous bike I had Vision 55 SC, which are 19 internal and about 25 external I believe. On those I had 25 in the rear and 23 front.

Do you guys think it would be a big difference aerodinamically to go with 25 in the front vs 23? I don't think the tire should measure more than 26, right? Or maybe it could be a bit more. I'm using GP5000 regulars.

Josh mentioned in an episode that it's fine and shouldn't be a big difference as long as rim and tyre are at least equal.

I will also be using Speedshield with Silca tubes. 42 valves+40 extenders. So that's 82mm, and the Speedshield is 7,5mm. That leaves about 1cm valve sticking out.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Someone earlier in this thread measured the GP5000 in 23mm at 24.5mm on the Winspace. They also measured the 25mm which was a little over 26mm, maybe 26.4mm.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Roadbiker10 wrote:What do 25 measure on the Hypers?

On my previous bike I had Vision 55 SC, which are 19 internal and about 25 external I believe. On those I had 25 in the rear and 23 front.

Do you guys think it would be a big difference aerodinamically to go with 25 in the front vs 23? I don't think the tire should measure more than 26, right? Or maybe it could be a bit more. I'm using GP5000 regulars.

Josh mentioned in an episode that it's fine and shouldn't be a big difference as long as rim and tyre are at least equal.

I will also be using Speedshield with Silca tubes. 42 valves+40 extenders. So that's 82mm, and the Speedshield is 7,5mm. That leaves about 1cm valve sticking out.
I’d side on the side of the 23mm, especially for flat courses without much cornering. Then again I never had an issue with 23mm. I run the 25mm when it’s a mountainous course with lots of corners.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:58 am

Possibly me - results upthread. Don't have them to hand
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:58 am

Possibly me - results upthread. Don't have them to hand

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Yes, that's what I got too, about 26,3mm with the 25. I think I will go with that for now. No speedshield though, as I thought I was getting them with the Silca tubes but they didn't come with them. So I'm running Silca tube 42mm valve with Lun's own 35mm extenders that came with the wheels.

Not the best pic as I'm not riding the bike yet.
0358A4C3-72A0-4FAA-8EA0-9608FEB01AE9.jpeg
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:04 pm
Yes, that's what I got too, about 26,3mm with the 25. I think I will go with that for now. No speedshield though, as I thought I was getting them with the Silca tubes but they didn't come with them. So I'm running Silca tube 42mm valve with Lun's own 35mm extenders that came with the wheels.

Not the best pic as I'm not riding the bike yet.
0358A4C3-72A0-4FAA-8EA0-9608FEB01AE9.jpeg
Right, so a Conti 500 in 25 won't meet the 105% rule, but the Conti 5000 23mm does

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com