Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Casitars

by Casitars

Has anyone tried to convert the Hyper rim brake- quick release- rear wheel to 135mm spacing? I have contacted them to find out if the appropriate end caps are available and have heard nothing back.

miOdiO

by miOdiO

I was hoping to see a black friday deal on the hypers but sadly only frames in combination with wheels were offered with a discount. I hoped that they would offer at least the "old" price. Frame and wheels were offered with a discount of up to 600$ so -200$ on the wheels should be fine (at least that was what I hoped for).
Any idea if there will be an other deal/sale by the end of the year?
Or what is the cheapest way to get them? 10% discount from several youtubers any other deal?

And anyone bought them "recently" and noticed any of the old issues? (no/not enough lube in the freehub?)
Or is this solved with the new batches?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ronin416

by Ronin416

miOdiO wrote:I was hoping to see a black friday deal on the hypers but sadly only frames in combination with wheels were offered with a discount. I hoped that they would offer at least the "old" price. Frame and wheels were offered with a discount of up to 600$ so -200$ on the wheels should be fine (at least that was what I hoped for).
Any idea if there will be an other deal/sale by the end of the year?
Or what is the cheapest way to get them? 10% discount from several youtubers any other deal?

And anyone bought them "recently" and noticed any of the old issues? (no/not enough lube in the freehub?)
Or is this solved with the new batches?

A lot of the old issues have been remedied. Plus it’s easy to check the freehub cassette, as it pulls off by hand. Careful not to let all the pawls to fly everywhere.

There won’t be a sale in the future on them cause it they sell so well already. The best deal available is the 10% code. “Smoothpedlar10”

DM me if you have more questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mocs123

by Mocs123

How aero are they with a Continental 25mm tire? (mine measure 26.3mm on my current rim with a 18.4mm interal width). It seems like these wheels are too narrow for 25mm tires in the real world per the 105 Rule as the rims would need to be close to 28mm wide for proper airflow.

I was also looking for a wheel only deal on BF. There are multiple 10% codes out there, which isn't bad, but I was hoping for something better, especially since they no longer offer their free shipping to the US.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Maddie

by Maddie

Better than 10% in times like these? That's pretty optimistic. I believe it won't take long until prices for wheelsets increase as well.

C36

by C36

Mocs123 wrote:How aero are they with a Continental 25mm tire? (mine measure 26.3mm on my current rim with a 18.4mm interal width). It seems like these wheels are too narrow for 25mm tires in the real world per the 105 Rule as the rims would need to be close to 28mm wide for proper airflow.

I was also looking for a wheel only deal on BF. There are multiple 10% codes out there, which isn't bad, but I was hoping for something better, especially since they no longer offer their free shipping to the US.
25mm Gp5000 (tube type) is 26.15mm on the 26.4mm (external) rim width. Just measure them on the wheel I am testing.

If I recall properly. Hambini’s quite exceptional aero results had been with a 23mm on the front wheel (can’t find where it has been mentioned but that’s what I recalled), that is in absolute the best performance setup.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Maddie wrote:Better than 10% in times like these? That's pretty optimistic. I believe it won't take long until prices for wheelsets increase as well.
If you’re just hunting for a deal, that’s gonna be tough in these times - second that Maddie.

Plus if you actually compare the build of the Winspace - same spokes as the Hunt for $1800 and Cadex are actually better value then they are actually sold for at $1200. A $1600 price point would be more appropriate for this wheelset.

As for aero, yes. I agree they could be wider. Maybe in the future. But you also have to take in account the wider profile aero spoke is wider than any other spoke out there other than the DTSwiss aero spoke on their 80mm carbon aero wheel. Hence they feel fast slicing through the air.

I run a 23mm front and 25mm rear when doing fast and flat centuries or Grand Fondos.

miOdiO

by miOdiO

Ronin416 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:42 pm
A lot of the old issues have been remedied. Plus it’s easy to check the freehub cassette, as it pulls off by hand. Careful not to let all the pawls to fly everywhere.
Well this sounds good. I guess I will order them soonish.
Since outdoor season is over anyway there is no need to rush it from my side.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

miOdiO wrote:
Ronin416 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:42 pm
Well this sounds good. I guess I will order them soonish.
Since outdoor season is over anyway there is no need to rush it from my side.
The Winspace stepped it up with a GCN video

https://youtu.be/DFCPfbVC74M

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Mocs123 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:54 pm
How aero are they with a Continental 25mm tire? (mine measure 26.3mm on my current rim with a 18.4mm interal width). It seems like these wheels are too narrow for 25mm tires in the real world per the 105 Rule as the rims would need to be close to 28mm wide for proper airflow.

I measured mine with Conti 5000/23 on the front and 5000/25 on the rear - details upthread

TL;DR front nicely meets tthe 105% rule. Rear, well the airflow is so messy doesn't make much difference
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Mosbo

by Mosbo

Recently purchase a set of 38mm Rim Hypers and overall am extremely happy.

The only issue i've noticed so far is that my front wheel in particular is quite noticably 'gritty' when spinning the wheel in the hand. I've had other wheels where if you do this it just feels like air - smooth and zero resistance. With the Hyper's I can feel the friction rotating. They still spin quite well but as I was replacing another set of wheels with 'well used' bearings I was really hoping for something super smooth again.

The rear has less of an issue than the front but it is still there.

Haven't reached out to Winspace yet but I will. I just wanted to post here and see if anyone else has noticed this? I searched this thread and see a few people earlier this year having what sounds like bearing issues.

Mosbo

by Mosbo

Also worth mentioning as I couldn't find anyone else who had but I managed to find a local supplier with some of the new Conti GP5000 S TR tyres so I have those mounted currently in 25mm. They measure 25.5mm on the Hypers fully inflated so I would say a good fit for the 26mm rims.

They went on no trouble at all either. Easy to mount by hand and only a track pump required to seat. They held air well even without sealant initially.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Mosbo wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:17 am
Also worth mentioning as I couldn't find anyone else who had but I managed to find a local supplier with some of the new Conti GP5000 S TR tyres so I have those mounted currently in 25mm. They measure 25.5mm on the Hypers fully inflated so I would say a good fit for the 26mm rims.

They went on no trouble at all either. Easy to mount by hand and only a track pump required to seat. They held air well even without sealant initially.
Useful to know. What pressure are you running?
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Mosbo

by Mosbo

75-80 psi

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Has anyone gotten a set of Hypers that aren't overweight? It seems like everyones are over spec.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com