Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
rlanger

by rlanger

Anyone have these yet?

I just ordered the 38mm rim brake version, which comes in at 1267gr. Was also interested in the 50mm version, but it's often windy where I live and I spend a lot of time climbing so I will probably appreciate the slight weight saving.

If anyone has them, I'm interested to hear about experiences and tire choice. I'm still not sure if I should run tubeless or not. The roads I ride are generally not too bad so I probably average about 1 flat per year on my current setup (and probably mostly due to riding with too much tire wear). And reading through the GP 5000 TL thread makes me question why anyone would want to ride tubeless unless the risk of flatting was so high. Sounds like such a pain in the ass. Not to mention it's more expensive than running tubes.

Anyway, I'll be sure to update this thread with my own experiences when I get the wheels and have a chance to spend some time on them.

brusselsprouts

by brusselsprouts

They certainly look promising. Please let us know how you like them when they arrive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rlanger

by rlanger

Okay so here's a brief update on the wheels.

I received them this week and after a number of questions back and forth with Winspace in China, I have to say that their customer service was absolutely outstanding. They literally responded to my questions within minutes.

The wheels arrived and they were packaged perfectly, I guess, for a set of wheels. There was no damage to the outside of the box and everything was fine on the inside too.

I initially ordered the wheels with free shipping and Winspace had warned that it could take some time to receive them because of the virus situation, but after about two weeks of waiting for their shipper to pick up the wheels, they decided themselves to ship them by FedEx at no cost to me. :beerchug:

After that I received the wheels in about 5 days.

Rode them for about 45 kilometres last night, half dry and then I got caught in the rain for about the second half of it, and performance was great. Braking was outstanding, on par with my alloy wheels with absolutely no brake squeal, and while there was reduced braking in the rain, it was not enough to make me concerned at all.

So just some initial thoughts. I don't have enough time on them yet to give a thorough review. But my initial impressions are that they're an excellent set of wheels at a great price.

IMG_20200529_115854_821.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20200529_115854_821.jpg
20200529_105702.jpg
Last edited by rlanger on Fri May 29, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

card0s

by card0s

They go very well with your bike. Congrats!
I can also confirm their support is very responsive and helpful.
Did you weigh them?

rlanger

by rlanger

card0s wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:00 am
They go very well with your bike. Congrats!
I can also confirm their support is very responsive and helpful.
Did you weigh them?
Thank you.

They came with the rim tape installed, so with the tape they were 1285 grams for the pair.

I'm not running them tubeless. Too much of a pain in the ass IMO. And they also came with different tape to run with tubes, but I can't be bothered to change it, so I'm running tubes with the tubeless tape.

I'm going out for a long ride tomorrow, so I should be able to provide some better feedback after that.

Skeeleye

by Skeeleye

Really looking forward to the feedback on the rims. They're beautiful!

rlanger

by rlanger

Just got back from a 74km ride with 1100m of climbing and I have to say that I'm very happy with the performance of these wheels, especially the braking.

Modulation with the included pads is superb. There's one spot on my ride where I hit 63km/h on a descent and had to break hard toward the bottom to make a 90 degree right turn, and the wheels handled it flawlessly.

I'm not the most powerful rider. Max power on the ride was about 880w and I'm about 70kg, so the wheels are way more than stiff enough for me. I felt absolutely no flex whatever.

The ceramic hubs are awesome. Every bit as good as the USB hubs on my Fulcrums. And the free hub sounds great. Very buzzy but not too loud.

It was quite windy at times, but at only 38mm deep I didn't expect any issues, and didn't experience any either. It's one of the reasons I chose the 38s over the 50s. It's often windy where I live.

So, all in all, I definitely give these wheels 2 thumbs up. At this price point, I think they're pretty tough to beat.

Anyone want a set of Fulcrum Racing Zeroes? 😁

Here's the ride if anyone is interested:

https://strava.app.link/tMpFyitRT6

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

That's one good lookin' DeRosa! Are the "Hyper" logos decals? Could they be removed?

rlanger

by rlanger

PoorInRichfield wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:52 pm
That's one good lookin' DeRosa! Are the "Hyper" logos decals? Could they be removed?
Thanks, very much!

Yes the logos are just stickers. Not even die cut, so probably really easy to remove.

They're pretty inconspicuous and I kinda like the logo though, so I'm going to keep them on.

Here's abetter shot. With the new wheels and some other minor changes, it's now down to 6.63kg.
20200529_155747.jpg
Last edited by rlanger on Sun May 31, 2020 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Nice looking bike. Welcome to the world of 16+21 spokes. I've been riding that for a while and it's fine. I'm not going back to 20/24. But then again I'm 65kg.

Is the rear brake housing a bit too long?

If you want a quiet drivetrain stay with shimano chains and pulleys. The chains are a bit faster too. :D

AnkitS

by AnkitS

So apparently these guys are the oem for hunt as well.

rlanger

by rlanger

alcatraz wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:42 am
Nice looking bike. Welcome to the world of 16+21 spokes. I've been riding that for a while and it's fine. I'm not going back to 20/24. But then again I'm 65kg.

Is the rear brake housing a bit too long?

If you want a quiet drivetrain stay with shimano chains and pulleys. The chains are a bit faster too. :D
Thanks alcatraz. My Fulcrums are also 16/21 so I'm already accustomed to it, but yes, it's great.

The part where the brake cable exits the frame is angled up at about 45 degrees so the cable can't be too short or it creates undue stress. Might be able to go a bit shorter though.

As for the driver train, I don't really have any issues with noise, so don't feel the need to replace any of the parts, and I still have another brand new KMC chain waiting to be used.

sib

by sib

Oo, the pattern on the wheels goes really well with your frame!

Why did you go for the Winspace hyper and not, say, a pair of Light Bicycle or Farsports wheels?

rlanger

by rlanger

sib wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:20 am
Oo, the pattern on the wheels goes really well with your frame!

Why did you go for the Winspace hyper and not, say, a pair of Light Bicycle or Farsports wheels?
Yeah, it was between these and the LB AR46 laced to Carbon-Ti hubs. In the end I decided to take a chance with these because with the discount and free shipping they were probably about $150 less than the LB wheels.

So, cheaper, lighter and likely every bit as good in terms of performance for my use, but only time will tell if they hold up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

rlanger wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:10 am
...because with the discount...
Did someone say, "discount"?!?! Who what where!??!?! :lol: I guess it doesn't matter too much as all the Winspace wheels on their web site that I've looked at are out of stock right now. :?