Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
U24

by U24

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:26 pm
The clearance looks fine to me if the wheel is in good condition and has decent stiffness. (no play, low flex)

Is it safe to tour the world on or do 2000w sprints? Probably not. But that isn't the case is it? :)
Haha that's okay. I can't do 2000w sprints anyway :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EspressoNow

by EspressoNow

[Edit] Nevermind - Thought they both were out oos as Charlie said August for the LUNs but Hyper 50mm rim brakes just became available and I got a set.

Gwcman

by Gwcman

Just a little update on my creaking hubs, they first started making the noise so I had them greased as McDeez mentioned. Did that and they were good for 1122kms, had them re-greased and the sound is back, this time after 741kms. Looks like I'l have to re-grease them again.

I sent another emai as a follow up to @ChinaCycling and Charles to see if they were able to determine anything with from my hub serial number and what they propose as a solution as it is frustrating and incovenient to re-grease/service like this on a regular basis. Overall I do like my wheel and have no other issues.

Anymore noise from the hub lately @Mcdeez?

Cheers,
Last edited by Gwcman on Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Gwcman wrote:Just a little update on my creaking hubs, they first started making the noise so I had them greased as McDeez mentioned. Did that and they were good for 1122kms, had them re-greased and the sound is back, this time after 741kms. Looks like I'l have to re-grease them again.

I sent another emai as a follow up to @ChinaCycling and Charles to see if they were able to determine anything with from my hub serial number and what they propose as a solution as it is frustrating and incovenient to re-grease/service like this on a regular basis. Overall I do like my wheel and have no other issues.

Any more noise from the hub lately @Mcdeez?

Cheers,
Since the first time never greased it and it's working great!

Did you tried to gresse thr axels?

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Having quickly scanned through this thread, it appears as though comparative reviews from experienced users are thin on the ground.

Question: are Hypers good in an absolute sense (i.e. performance up there with the best from Enve, Zipp etc.) or are they just good only in a VFM sense (i.e. for the money, cant get much better, but in an absolute sense, there are better wheels). Some on this thread have suggested the former, whereas others have suggested the latter. Video reviews don't really seem to make an effort to make this appraisal distinction clear either.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

zappafile123 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:57 am
Having quickly scanned through this thread, it appears as though comparative reviews from experienced users are thin on the ground.

Question: are Hypers good in an absolute sense (i.e. performance up there with the best from Enve, Zipp etc.) or are they just good only in a VFM sense (i.e. for the money, cant get much better, but in an absolute sense, there are better wheels). Some on this thread have suggested the former, whereas others have suggested the latter. Video reviews don't really seem to make an effort to make this appraisal distinction clear either.
reading in between the lines and inbetween the posts.. I would not touch these wheels.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

zappafile123 wrote:

Honestly, with the number of ongoing issues related in this thread, use of propriety parts, these are uncompelling. For the price I would rather build a Farsports or LB wheel with standard spokes and good quality hubs (Carbon TI or Dt Swiss etc), if you have issues you can get spares through local wheel builders.

HenryH

by HenryH

zappafile123 wrote:

How would you be able to?

The closest thing we have to some sort of "mass test" of wheels which includes these wheels is what Hambini did.

I don't know why, but I got this "sentimantal" relationship with Campagnolo. I would love to buy their high end wheels, but I'm not going to when I don't know if I'm getting any thing better than what I get from my Hyper wheels. Or at least it has to be more than a theoretical watt or two. Reading in the WTO thread on this board I guess you get at least as many question marks as reading in this thread.

Would love it if someone did something similar for wheels as bikerollingresistance has done for tires. Even if there aero-coach will get rather different results - so there is no easy way to test these things where you get one result everyone can agree to is the correct result.

Yesterday I ordered handlebars from Winspace as well. I had one question which I sent right after I made the order (during the night in China). Woke up this morning and they had already answered my question. And my wheels are great. In terms of performance (speed) I can't really say vs. ENVE, Zipp etc., but in terms of stiffness they are brilliant. I'm 6ft6 and not a light rider, but even at close to 2000w I can't really notice much in terms of flex - if anything at all. At the same time I can't say comfort is an issue, but that is more down to air pressure anyway.

I'm not like Durianrider saying buying anything else than Winspace is pointless (tongue in cheek obviously), but my personal experience with Winspace both in terms of product and customer service has been excellent so far (if my bike got stolen today and I needed a new pair of wheels I would have bought a new set of the 65mm Hyper wheels). Hopefully it will stay this way. Or hopefully someone will in a scientific and objective way prove to me that Campagnolo wheels are actually significantly better - because then I will buy a set at 3x the price of Winspace. Until then I won't.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Winspace has gone silent on me. Few emails lately about hyper 38 warranty replacement and no response. Warranty was opened in mid April. Was told a few weeks ago rim would be shipped then nothing since. Im pretty disappointed and can not recommend them at this point

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

zappafile123 wrote:

Not sure if I count as experienced or not, I average only about 20k km a year. I've ridden Fulcrums, Shimanos, Flos, Hunts and the Hypers, and I ride with folks who have Enve, Zipp, Hed etc. Are the Hypers better than Enve etc? From what I see there isn't much in it. Tyres are harder to fit than on Enve, and easier than on Flo. They don't "sing" at speed like the Flo or the Fulcrums.

My 2c so take that for what you will.
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

jzinckgra wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 pm
Winspace has gone silent on me. Few emails lately about hyper 38 warranty replacement and no response. Warranty was opened in mid April. Was told a few weeks ago rim would be shipped then nothing since. Im pretty disappointed and can not recommend them at this point

If you are who I am assuming you are - I just checked and your rim was sent last week. UPS says it should arrive on the 30th of July.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

ChinaCycling wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:59 am
jzinckgra wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 pm

If you are who I am assuming you are - I just checked and your rim was sent last week. UPS says it should arrive on the 30th of July.
good news, thanks

dacian

by dacian

SixThirteen wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:46 am
zappafile123 wrote:

Not sure if I count as experienced or not, I average only about 20k km a year. I've ridden Fulcrums, Shimanos, Flos, Hunts and the Hypers, and I ride with folks who have Enve, Zipp, Hed etc. Are the Hypers better than Enve etc? From what I see there isn't much in it. Tyres are harder to fit than on Enve, and easier than on Flo. They don't "sing" at speed like the Flo or the Fulcrums.

My 2c so take that for what you will.
I would definitely go with the VFM, as you called it but even there they struggle to be one of the best offers. At least one of the wheelsets I rode, were better VFM than these, I am talking about Prime Black Edition 50mm. But they are a hard find these days

C36

by C36

zappafile123 wrote:Having quickly scanned through this thread, it appears as though comparative reviews from experienced users are thin on the ground.

On aéro, there was the Hambini measures that put them ahead / inline of many premium products. Now we could always question those measures.
What has been measured with certainty is the wheel stiffness and here they are ahead of the competition, roughly between 10 and 20% stiffer than the std 24 cx-ray spoked wheels.

Today, if I had to select a clincher wheel, regardless of the price, this is what I would choose.

dacian

by dacian

C36 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 am
zappafile123 wrote:Having quickly scanned through this thread, it appears as though comparative reviews from experienced users are thin on the ground.

On aéro, there was the Hambini measures that put them ahead / inline of many premium products. Now we could always question those measures.
What has been measured with certainty is the wheel stiffness and here they are ahead of the competition, roughly between 10 and 20% stiffer than the std 24 cx-ray spoked wheels.

Today, if I had to select a clincher wheel, regardless of the price, this is what I would choose.
About the aero capabilities, I have huge doubts, even with the Hambini "measurements". I reiterate the fact that Hyper rim profile is exactly the same rounded V shape as the Hunt 50, which Hambini also tested and "destroyed it" as he likes to mention. A rounded V shaped rim will never be faster overall, than a perfect U profile. Stiff they are indeed, but not as stiff for example, as a Campagnolo Shamal 2019 wheelset I rode a while back

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com