Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Casitars

by Casitars

RadB wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:46 am
Well both my hyper 65 are more like 0.5, but as I said, I'm indifferent running 25/28 on them. There is a thudding knock, which I think is the front hub. I'll look into its assembly, but something is able to move when it shouldn't be. They still roll fast, but I don't fully trust them yet, more km required.
That does sound concerning. Looking into that by taking things apart and inspecting sounds like the thing to do! The deviation in my wheels is clearly more than .02mms (really more like 1.0 or 1.5mms) but Winspace has looked at the video and says it's not a concern
and I'm inclined to agree. Other than that I'm confident in the wheels. No weird sounds or anything wrong and other than the weird spot of deviation the wheel spins true. So I'm riding with confidence on these wheels. It was just a bit disappointing and a bit disconcerting at first.

Casitars

by Casitars

RadB wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:46 am
Well both my hyper 65 are more like 0.5, but as I said, I'm indifferent running 25/28 on them. There is a thudding knock, which I think is the front hub. I'll look into its assembly, but something is able to move when it shouldn't be. They still roll fast, but I don't fully trust them yet, more km required.
That's definitely concerning. Sounds like a good idea to look into that further and sort it out before long.
The deviation on my wheels is clearly more than 0.2mms. More like 1.0 to 1.5mms. But Winspace has looked at the video and assures me that it's not a problem too worry over and I'm inclined to agree. There's nothing else going on, no weird sounds and other than the area of deviation the wheel runs true. I'm writing it off as a harmless defect. I was disappointed at first and the perfectionist in me is irritated when I think about it but it is an issue that has been looked at and found to be harmless so I'm going to be riding with confidence and trying not to be secretly obsessive about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oms

by Oms

So far so good (a few weeks riding the 50mm rim brake versions).

Whilst the supplied rim brake pads work well, they feel soft (compress under braking).

I'm not used to that squishy feeling - any pointers RE a set of pads that work equally well, but less squishy?

PS No creaks or groans so far - but I am light and can only sprint at 700w on a good day.

Casitars

by Casitars

Just asked Winspace about getting pads for the 38's. Here's what they said:

We recommend any high end carbon fiber brake pads, like swiss stop black prince. You can purchase extra set from us as well, which cost $15 with $20 shipping fees.

Supersix56

by Supersix56

RDY wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:58 pm
ghostinthemachine wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:08 pm
Supersix56 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:28 pm
Winspace have done well getting Hambini and Durianrider on board. Those 2 are super critical but also super trusted in their no holds barred opinions.

I can only ride what our shop sells but those Hyper 38 I saw on DR's channel sounded insane! Freehub buzz is a turn on! Maybe if I get a pair and put a Bontrager sticker on it the boss wont know as long as I dont freewheel in front of him....Hmmmm
Durianrider? Super-trusted?

:roll:
I'll be avoiding any company that works with him ...
So you wont be using Stages, Shimano, Specialized, Rockbros, Giant, Lightweight, Cannondale, Winspace, Trifox, Spinergy, Kask, Oakley etc that I see advertising in his videos with product placements? Even GCN mention him and they are as corporate as it gets. ALL these youtubers are chasing that product placement coin. Easy money for them. Someone from Specialized mentioned he and Mike Sinyard even chat. I saw it on one of their insta stories. Durianrider is the WWE of the cycling world.

Durianrider is the biggest troll out there pretending he is doing all the brand exposure for free. He is ALWAYS dating Victoria Secret mode type girls half his age and travels non stop. No way a skinny balding guy who look likes him is pulling babes better than NBL stars have as wives. He is raking in that cycling endorsement money. Dont be fooled by his fake hippy M.O

If he rides it then I will recommend it. He hasnt been wrong yet on anything he reviews even if he does lie about being paid by these brands. Dude has over 300 million views. He can name his price just like GCN can.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

Supersix56

by Supersix56

These Hypers sure are getting the Hype!

I can't ride anything my shop doesnt sell so I will be sticking with my Roval CLX for now. They are a bulletproof wheelset.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

RDY

by RDY

Supersix56 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:10 pm
RDY wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:58 pm
ghostinthemachine wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:08 pm
Supersix56 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:28 pm
Winspace have done well getting Hambini and Durianrider on board. Those 2 are super critical but also super trusted in their no holds barred opinions.

I can only ride what our shop sells but those Hyper 38 I saw on DR's channel sounded insane! Freehub buzz is a turn on! Maybe if I get a pair and put a Bontrager sticker on it the boss wont know as long as I dont freewheel in front of him....Hmmmm
Durianrider? Super-trusted?

:roll:
I'll be avoiding any company that works with him ...
So you wont be using Stages, Shimano, Specialized, Rockbros, Giant, Lightweight, Cannondale, Winspace, Trifox, Spinergy, Kask, Oakley etc that I see advertising in his videos with product placements? Even GCN mention him and they are as corporate as it gets. ALL these youtubers are chasing that product placement coin. Easy money for them. Someone from Specialized mentioned he and Mike Sinyard even chat. I saw it on one of their insta stories. Durianrider is the WWE of the cycling world.

Durianrider is the biggest troll out there pretending he is doing all the brand exposure for free. He is ALWAYS dating Victoria Secret mode type girls half his age and travels non stop. No way a skinny balding guy who look likes him is pulling babes better than NBL stars have as wives. He is raking in that cycling endorsement money. Dont be fooled by his fake hippy M.O

If he rides it then I will recommend it. He hasnt been wrong yet on anything he reviews even if he does lie about being paid by these brands. Dude has over 300 million views. He can name his price just like GCN can.

Before anyone wonders, this is one of DR's accounts ...

Alex222

by Alex222

I guessed it had to be one of his accounts.

kleggy

by kleggy

What grease/Lubricant can you suggest for the rear hub/freehub?

Sbassios

by Sbassios

kleggy wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:29 am
What grease/Lubricant can you suggest for the rear hub/freehub?
I used a high temperature mag1 Grease (red)

Oms

by Oms

Casitars wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:38 am

We recommend any high end carbon fiber brake pads, like swiss stop black prince. You can purchase extra set from us as well, which cost $15 with $20 shipping fees.
Thanks - good to know.

Might try shimano's offering - they do a pad for carbon rims. 👍

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Casitars wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:38 am

That's useful to know. They didn't reply to me!

Anyone tried them with the Wiggle Lifeline Blue pads?
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Neocat

by Neocat

HenryH wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:11 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpkrrsEtdzI

A bit long, but decent video if you are curious as to how the wheel is built up.
Thanks HenryH. I didn't get to ride much on my 38 rim Hypers until recently, due to lockdown and group rides restriction. I live in a hilly area and less than 1000km I already got those dreaded CREAKing noise on strong uphills and I didn't even ride in the rain. But all is not dread, thanks to Cam Nicholls discovery and this video, it is just a matter of popping out the hub (didn't even have to remove the cassette) and greasing the pawls with marine grease and no more creaks. I think the wheel hub is meant to be serviceable (greasing the rear hub at least) but not marketed as such.
Of further note, the fugly brown stains don't bother me as much now since I still have my Fulcrum Zero Nites for photogenic purposes and the braking isn't as good. With my sample of one, all else good so far.

tacos8910

by tacos8910

Hello just wanted to put out my review of these wheels.

A little background on me.
I am around 92kg and I do powerlifting. According to my handy dandy power meter, I put out low 1500w on a sprint.
I mainly use cycling as a cardio tool when I'm cutting.
I am also a 4th year engineering student and the chief engineer for the Formula SAE Racecar at my school.

Like many, I bought some Hyper 50's (rim brake) right before the price hike. After a lot of research, I decided to pull the trigger on these wheels with my limited budget. After a few miles on these wheels, here is what I have found.

Pros:
They are very light for the depth of the rims (456 grams for the rear replacement rim)
The braking is pretty good for carbon (not anywhere near aluminum though)
The wheels are well tensioned
Noticed a lot more grease in the hubs
Mounting tires was pretty chill
The carbon layup looks consistent

Cons:
I had my rear rim come in with a surface crack (They sent me a rear rim and didn't send any money for rebuilding the wheel)
Both wheels had random red speckles on them (It looks like lint off a workers uniform)
The front wheel came with this pretty nasty scratch (They did NOT send me a front rim boooo) (Most angry about this)
The wheels are very unbalanced (I tried to remedy this with silca's balancing kit, mostly fixed the rear but the front was still pretty bad)
Poor Customer service (I had to wait multiple days just to get a response that didn't address all my issues) (Next step is to call the office in China and use my 7th grade Mandarin to try and get these problems fixed. I hate using my Chinese) (@ChinaCycling pls help)

At the end of the day, I wish I just spent a little more and got wheels from a major brand. These wheels are pretty damn good but the quality control issues (I shouldn't have to settle for rims with f'ing crap under the clear coat) and terrible customer service have got me pretty riled up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tacos8910

by tacos8910

Hello just wanted to put out my review of these wheels.

A little background on me.
I am around 92kg and I do powerlifting. According to my handy dandy power meter, I put out low 1500w on a sprint.
I mainly use cycling as a cardio tool when I'm cutting.
I am also a 4th year engineering student and the chief engineer for the Formula SAE Racecar at my school.

Like many, I bought some Hyper 50's (rim brake) right before the price hike. After a lot of research, I decided to pull the trigger on these wheels with my limited budget. After a few miles on these wheels, here is what I have found.

Pros:
They are very light for the depth of the rims (456 grams for the rear replacement rim)
The braking is pretty good for carbon (not anywhere near aluminum though)
The wheels are well tensioned
Noticed a lot more grease in the hubs
Mounting tires was pretty chill
The carbon layup looks consistent

Cons:
I had my rear rim come in with a surface crack (They sent me a rear rim and didn't send any money for rebuilding the wheel)
Both wheels had random red speckles on them (It looks like lint off a workers uniform)
The front wheel came with this pretty nasty scratch (They did NOT send me a front rim boooo) (Most angry about this)
The wheels are very unbalanced (I tried to remedy this with silca's balancing kit, mostly fixed the rear but the front was still pretty bad)
Poor Customer service (I had to wait multiple days just to get a response that didn't address all my issues) (Next step is to call the office in China and use my 7th grade Mandarin to try and get these problems fixed. I hate using my Chinese) (@ChinaCycling pls help)

At the end of the day, I wish I just spent a little more and got wheels from a major brand. These wheels are pretty damn good but the quality control issues (I shouldn't have to settle for rims with f'ing crap under the clear coat) and terrible customer service have got me pretty riled up.