Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
RadB

by RadB

I was looking for a set of deeper section race wheels and was going around in circles on cadex, arc1100, LB and a few others. In the end these were actually the easiest to purchase of all of them, and also the cheapest. With my race season over in a month I didn't want to receive new wheels and not race on them for 6months. The hypers are also out of true from the box by a reasonable amount, both fr and rr. I don't really care as 25/28mm tyres have a lot of variability in their contact patch, but it indicates to me their QC might be...economical. Kaze was a lot truer, but not perfect.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

RadB wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:08 am
I was looking for a set of deeper section race wheels and was going around in circles on cadex, arc1100, LB and a few others. In the end these were actually the easiest to purchase of all of them, and also the cheapest. With my race season over in a month I didn't want to receive new wheels and not race on them for 6months. The hypers are also out of true from the box by a reasonable amount, both fr and rr. I don't really care as 25/28mm tyres have a lot of variability in their contact patch, but it indicates to me their QC might be...economical. Kaze was a lot truer, but not perfect.
Interesting. So with your experience in mind would you do it the same way again or do you think just buying deeper kaze is equally fine?
Yeah, regarding the QC issues I think winspace just does super thorough QC when sending out review units so no surprise there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RadB

by RadB

Not sure what Kaze comes in now? When I was looking at options, it seemed Feder was the option, and main competitor was LB flyweight ar55 with xtralite etc. But neither could get here in time. But no, from my sample of 1 I have no reason not to recommend them. And have, with another satisfied customer. Go for it.

HenryH

by HenryH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpkrrsEtdzI

A bit long, but decent video if you are curious as to how the wheel is built up.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

EspressoNow wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:12 am
Hypers have holes and need rim tape, LUNs do not.
Not sure when that changed, but my 38mm rim came with tubeless tape pre-installed. Bought them April 2021, first ride May 2021
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

EspressoNow

by EspressoNow

LUNs do not have holes or tape.

Casitars

by Casitars

I recently bought a set of Hyper 38's. So far they are trouble free in the hub/spoke department, and I really do love the wheels, but the rear wheel has an irregularly on the braking surface on one side of the rim. It's hard to describe but about a 1/4 of the braking surface (again, on one side only of the rear wheel) is lumpy or uneven. It causes the rear brake pad to grab a bit and wear down more quickly than the other side. I moved the pads inboard to ride as close to the inside edge of the braking surface as possible to avoid most of the lumpy area but the irregularity is still impacting braking. I sent a link to a video I made to Winspace of an Allen key taped to the brake pad that shows that, when the wheel is turning, contacts the rim only at the high spots on the rim. So it scrapes for a segment of the rim and the unaffected portion does not.

I'm still waiting for a response from Winspace.

Anyone else running into this issue?

Casitars

by Casitars

Here's a link to the video I made. I'm not very good at using the phone camera but I think it shows up pretty well.

By the way, Winspace has been excellent so far as far as communication goes and fair with me.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... Y5T2x1dV9n

Casitars

by Casitars

One final thought- the wheel is true. Measured from the other side of the rim there is no issue at all

Casitars

by Casitars

Casitars wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:59 pm

This is a bad link. Nothing there.
Sorry.

Casitars

by Casitars

Casitars wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:10 pm
Casitars wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:59 pm

This is a bad link. Nothing there.
Sorry.

Sheesh! Sorry about that, the link is fixed.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I just bought some Hyper 65s.

I will post an early review after a few rides becuase this forum sorely needs a proper review!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Casitars

by Casitars

Winspace got back to me.
They said it's normal to have a 0.1 to 0.4mms variation in a wheel and after looking at the video decided that the wheel is okay to ride on.
I'm okay with that because since moving the pads inward the braking is smoother. Seems to be something that others haven't even noticed on their wheels.
So, I'm moving on and just enjoying the wheels.

They responded quickly- within days.

Casitars

by Casitars

The expected variation stated by Winspace was 0.1-0.2mms not 0.1-0.4mms as I erroneously quoted above.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RadB

by RadB

Well both my hyper 65 are more like 0.5, but as I said, I'm indifferent running 25/28 on them. There is a thudding knock, which I think is the front hub. I'll look into its assembly, but something is able to move when it shouldn't be. They still roll fast, but I don't fully trust them yet, more km required.