Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
MrB123

by MrB123

cannondale7om wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:53 am
I have been using the R45s for about 3 weeks now. Never used carbon spoke wheels before, the difference between my previous wheelset (Farsports C3) and these is huge. My 25mm GP5000 tires are easier to fit in the wider rims. The deeper rims make me feel comfortable on the flats and keep the momentum really well when you get to 40 kph. The carbon spokes are totaly different than the steel spokes. They gave me so much confidence when sprinting.
My Farsports wheels used to equipped with Continental Ultrasports tires and normal buytl inner tubes. And now I have switched to GP5000 tires and Ridenow TPU tubes with the Hyper R45s. It saved about 220 grams and I am quite pleased with that. My bike weights 6.4kg with the pedals and the computer mount now. Just fine for the flats and the mountains!
QQ图片20220718102424.jpg
How do you find the clearance for the back wheel? Is it fairly tight between the chain stays and in the brake caliper?

eeney

by eeney

I'm running DA9000 rim brake calipers, there is enough clearance even with the supplied new pads but you couldn't go much wider.

On my test ride there wasn't any brake rub, even when sprinting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ferdi77

by Ferdi77

Thank you guys for the insights!

It would be interesting to know, how the new compare to the old hypers, I’m between the 50s and the R45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Ferdi77 wrote:Thank you guys for the insights!

It would be interesting to know, how the new compare to the old hypers, I’m between the 50s and the R45.

The R45 are ideal for 28mm and a tad lighter. The 50mm are great for 25mm. Both will “feel” the same in terms of stiffness. But the crosswinds capabilities will be better with the R45.

eeney

by eeney

Ferdi77 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:04 pm
...... how the new compare to the old hypers, I’m between the 50s and the R45.
I reckon the difference to ride will be minimal, just depends how much you value the updates and if the 50s get discounted because there is only $100 difference at the moment. Key differences:

• Slightly lighter (marginal)
  • Crosswind stability via different shaped and depth front and rear wheels (this is a biggie for me at 63kg)
  • Stiffer through changed spoke angle

Minor updates, just depends on your needs. As I say, for me it was the front/rear rim profile/depth changes for crosswinds which were attractive.

I'm running 25mm tires with TPU tubes, I did a test ride without bartape and the bike felt very smooth, smoother than the aluminium wheels I just replaced, something I wasn't expecting - need to do more riding once the rain stops.
Last edited by eeney on Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

eeney wrote:
Ferdi77 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:04 pm
...... how the new compare to the old hypers, I’m between the 50s and the R45.
I reckon the difference to ride will be minimal, just depends how much you value the updates and if the 50s get discounted because there is only $100 difference at the moment. Key differences:

• Slightly lighter (marginal)
  • Crosswind stability via different shaped and depth front and rear wheels (this is a biggie for me at 63kg)
  • Stiffer through changed spoke angle, which also stops the spokes from touching

Minor updates, just depends on your needs. As I say, for me it was the front/rear rim profile/depth changes for crosswinds which were attractive.

I'm running 25mm tires with TPU tubes, I did a test ride without bartape and the bike felt very smooth, smoother than the aluminium wheels I just replaced, something I wasn't expecting - need to do more riding once the rain stops.
Note: Winspace has revised the spokes from touching long ago. If you had an early 2019 wheel, that may have been the case. But it’s fairly safe to say that has been fixed with all wheels released in 2022. So if you did pick up the 50mm, the spokes don’t touch.

The spoke angle is only relevant in the rear and most riders won’t even notice it unless you’re a brute of a rider.

eeney

by eeney

My mistake, will edit. In that case the spoke angle was changed, apparently better power, not that I have the power to really benefit.

cannondale7om

by cannondale7om

MrB123 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:31 am
cannondale7om wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:53 am
I have been using the R45s for about 3 weeks now. Never used carbon spoke wheels before, the difference between my previous wheelset (Farsports C3) and these is huge. My 25mm GP5000 tires are easier to fit in the wider rims. The deeper rims make me feel comfortable on the flats and keep the momentum really well when you get to 40 kph. The carbon spokes are totaly different than the steel spokes. They gave me so much confidence when sprinting.
My Farsports wheels used to equipped with Continental Ultrasports tires and normal buytl inner tubes. And now I have switched to GP5000 tires and Ridenow TPU tubes with the Hyper R45s. It saved about 220 grams and I am quite pleased with that. My bike weights 6.4kg with the pedals and the computer mount now. Just fine for the flats and the mountains!
QQ图片20220718102424.jpg
How do you find the clearance for the back wheel? Is it fairly tight between the chain stays and in the brake caliper?
The clearance is quite fine. I am using Sram Red calipers, they work well with the R45s.
Attachments
caliper.jpg
chainstay1.jpg
chainstay2.jpg

teamtarrant1

by teamtarrant1

Hey team!

Is anyone riding hypers that weighs 195-210lb or heavier?

I'm close to pulling the trigger and can't decide between hyper, lun or light bicyle wheels.

Key notes:

- Currently weight 205lb. 93kg.
- Goals - Fast road endurance rides and triathlon. Aka I want to crush my buddies. LOL.
- Depth - Leaning deeper, say 60/65mm. The more I read it seems that heavier riders are less effected by the crosswinds. (I also live in Memphis, we rarely see anything over 10MPH)

Ronin416

by Ronin416

teamtarrant1 wrote:Hey team!

I'm close to pulling the trigger and can't decide between hyper, lun or light bicyle wheels.

Key notes:

- Goals - Fast road endurance rides and triathlon. Aka I want to crush my buddies. LOL.
- Depth - Leaning deeper, say 60/65mm. The more I read it seems that heavier riders are less effected by the crosswinds. (I also live in Memphis, we rarely see anything over 10MPH)
D67 - all the way.

teamtarrant1

by teamtarrant1

@ronin
Ronin416 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:32 pm

Key notes:

D67 - all the way.

Do you have these?

Ronin416

by Ronin416

teamtarrant1 wrote:@ronin
Ronin416 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:32 pm

Key notes:

D67 - all the way.

Do you have these?
No, but I have all the others. The 60 front profile shape is fairly forgiving in the cross winds. The shorter spokes and taller rims of the 60’s fair well for heavier rides as they result in a stiffer wheelset. The steel spokes of the LÚN wheels won’t be as good as the carbon. Hence go with the HYPERS all the time.

teamtarrant1

by teamtarrant1

Damn the new ones are sold out.

Hmmm....

Morkai

by Morkai

Winspace Hyper R33 with valves and tape
Front 545g
Rear 699g
Total 1244g
3x spokes 10g
Front QR skewer 57g
Rear QR skewer 62g

Brand new Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix 28mm measures 28.3mm at 5 bar (72.5 PSI).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

integration

by integration

teamtarrant1 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:09 pm
Hey team!

Key notes:

Yes, i fit your description and been doing fine on the Hyper 65s for over a year now