Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

MC356 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:48 am
SixThirteen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:44 am
MC356 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:58 am
C36 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:25 pm
Few comments from someone who have run those tests many times (and was using anemometer for wind speed measures and correcting power outputs) even like, this reproduction is needed to average result.

Few things that can play (either increasing the gap measured, reducing or inverting the result)
- tires width installed on the rim
- tires integration with the rim
- pressure inaccuracies
- pressures corrected with the real tire width
- position on the bike
- weight loss during the tests
- RR differences between same tires and tubes due to manufacturing tolerances.

I know this test isnt perfect but it proved to me that what I was feeling was ture, my Hyper wheels feel slow. Luckily I had a friend who was nice enough to loan me his Vision wheels for this test.

Here are some answers to your questions
- tires width installed on the rim, Both tires are 25mm tubeless at 85psi with about the same miles on them
- pressure inaccuracies, checked with track pump and digital gauge too.
- position on the bike, On the hood for all tests
- weight loss during the tests, test were done within 15 to 20 min of each other so count a few oz in sweat?
- RR differences between same tires and tubes due to manufacturing tolerances. Yes the tires are different but how much of a difference will it make in a 1 and .6 mile test that doesn't involve hard cornering, braking or sprinting.

Some thoughts after a few days from doing this test.
-Maybe the bearing on my Hypers are shot? A lot of people are commenting on youtube that they are faster with hypers than other carbon wheels. But Iive in southern california and these wheels have only been ridden in nice condition, no rain or mud or dirt.
-Maybe I have a defective set of Hypers that are causing this speed loss and spoke issues.
-Maybe these wheels really are this slow and the youtube influencers are hush hush paid to say good things? Have any of them used the wheels for 1000 miles? I mean if a brand gives you a product to review for free with a discount code for your viewer to use and if your viewers use that code you get some sort of payout you would only say good things so your viewers use your code and you get paid right? If you give them a negative review none of your viewers will buy them so no payout.
1. I've done just shy of 5000km / 3000 miles on my Hyper 38 Rim
2. I live in Sydney AU where the weather is mainly fine. I bought them in April so its been autumn then winter and now spring here
3. Paid for mine with my own money. Very happy
4. Since I've had them I've gotten PRs on 4 or 5 local climbs that I had tackled many times previously on other wheels / same bike / same tyres

Very happy
From what you have said make be believe my hypers are prabably defective or have underplaying issues.
Maybe winspace needs better qc.
Seems unlikely its the rims, can only think its the hubs
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Maddie

by Maddie

Voss27 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:22 pm
One component is designed to be weaker then the other, so it an impact it breaks first.
No, that’s not how it works. There is ISO testing for both fatigue and impact on frames and forks. Reputable builds adhere to that and that’s a good thing. It doesn’t mean that a fork always breaks first on impact. I have seen plenty of broken frames that hit an obstacle and the fork looked ok. Not unusual. First hand experience: I hit a deer this year when doing almost 50kph on my Aethos. The fork was not broken but the frame was. In several places actually.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MC356

by MC356

SixThirteen wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:00 am
MC356 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:48 am
SixThirteen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:44 am
MC356 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:58 am

I know this test isnt perfect but it proved to me that what I was feeling was ture, my Hyper wheels feel slow. Luckily I had a friend who was nice enough to loan me his Vision wheels for this test.

Here are some answers to your questions
- tires width installed on the rim, Both tires are 25mm tubeless at 85psi with about the same miles on them
- pressure inaccuracies, checked with track pump and digital gauge too.
- position on the bike, On the hood for all tests
- weight loss during the tests, test were done within 15 to 20 min of each other so count a few oz in sweat?
- RR differences between same tires and tubes due to manufacturing tolerances. Yes the tires are different but how much of a difference will it make in a 1 and .6 mile test that doesn't involve hard cornering, braking or sprinting.

Some thoughts after a few days from doing this test.
-Maybe the bearing on my Hypers are shot? A lot of people are commenting on youtube that they are faster with hypers than other carbon wheels. But Iive in southern california and these wheels have only been ridden in nice condition, no rain or mud or dirt.
-Maybe I have a defective set of Hypers that are causing this speed loss and spoke issues.
-Maybe these wheels really are this slow and the youtube influencers are hush hush paid to say good things? Have any of them used the wheels for 1000 miles? I mean if a brand gives you a product to review for free with a discount code for your viewer to use and if your viewers use that code you get some sort of payout you would only say good things so your viewers use your code and you get paid right? If you give them a negative review none of your viewers will buy them so no payout.
1. I've done just shy of 5000km / 3000 miles on my Hyper 38 Rim
2. I live in Sydney AU where the weather is mainly fine. I bought them in April so its been autumn then winter and now spring here
3. Paid for mine with my own money. Very happy
4. Since I've had them I've gotten PRs on 4 or 5 local climbs that I had tackled many times previously on other wheels / same bike / same tyres

Very happy
From what you have said make be believe my hypers are prabably defective or have underplaying issues.
Maybe winspace needs better qc.
Seems unlikely its the rims, can only think its the hubs
I'm beginning to believe it's has something to do with the hubs or how the bearing are pressed into the hubs.
I took it my local shop and they opened up the hubs, bearing look fine but when they did a spin test on the bike stand vs other wheels my hypers only spun over 50% less than other wheels they had. Non of the wheels on the spin tested had ceramic bearing either.
So I think there may be a tolerance issue with hub bearing interface. Keep in mind I bought these hypers when they were constantly out of stock and rushing to make more, so maybe some qc was overlooked?
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

My hypers spins sooo long and when it stops with the valve stem up, the wheel spins down by it self so the valve goes down. My other wheels dont do this.

MC356

by MC356

Mcdeez wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:58 pm
My hypers spins sooo long and when it stops with the valve stem up, the wheel spins down by it self so the valve goes down. My other wheels dont do this.
Mine does not spin soo long, and yes with the value stem at the top the value stem does go down but compared to other wheels there valve stems make almost a full loop and spin back and forth while my hypers only go down and stop. Must be a bearing issue.

Anyone here change there bearing to the ones Hambini recommends?
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

Neocat

by Neocat

MC356 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:17 pm
Mcdeez wrote:
Mine does not spin soo long, and yes with the value stem at the top the value stem does go down but compared to other wheels there valve stems make almost a full loop and spin back and forth while my hypers only go down and stop. Must be a bearing issue.

Lookup higher up the thread. Someone did the replacement. Haven't had to change the bearings on my Hypers, yet. Still smooth.
But then again haven't had had to think about these things with my Fulcrum Zero Nite, which uses ceramic bearings as well. Go figure 🙄

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

MC356 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:17 pm
Mcdeez wrote:

I did a quick video which I'll try to PM you later. I spun the front wheel up to about 6kph (so not very fast) and then let it spin until it stopped doing full rotations. Took about 40s. Its not super scientific, and having the Garmin speed sensor on the hub not ideal, but hopefully gives you an idea

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

MC356 wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:

Probably some bearing problem, my valve stem goes up and down as well couple of times untill it stabilize

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

And to make sure, we are talking about the front wheel right?

Back wheel would be different because of how much grease in hub,bb, etc.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

@MC356 sent PM with a spin down video

MC356

by MC356

SixThirteen wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:15 pm
Thanks for the video!
Ya mine don't spin that freely at all.
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

Neocat

by Neocat

MC356 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:14 pm
SixThirteen wrote:
Thanks for the video!
MC356 do continue to share your journey towards resolving this. Some of us might face the same issue past 1000 miles. Hopefully not, but the possibility is there. Thanks in advance.

MC356

by MC356

Neocat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:56 pm
MC356 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:14 pm
SixThirteen wrote:
Thanks for the video!
MC356 do continue to share your journey towards resolving this. Some of us might face the same issue past 1000 miles. Hopefully not, but the possibility is there. Thanks in advance.
Will do, but I honestly think its an isolated issue with my pair, and im kinda over them want to get rid of them and get something else. From what I can tell with my ditective hat on it looks like either the bearings are not pressed in correctly or the machining on the hub is off. Keep in mind I ordered this set in Jan of this year and at that time winspace was always out of stock on these wheels so maybe my batch was rushed and not fully check over?
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Can you post the links to videos on here guys for people to see? Also surely if it's just a bearing not seated properly you could check and sort that easily. If it's a manufacturing fault then they they would have to warranty them for you wouldnt they? If you just don't want them I'll give them a good home

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MC356

by MC356

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:11 am
Can you post the links to videos on here guys for people to see? Also surely if it's just a bearing not seated properly you could check and sort that easily. If it's a manufacturing fault then they they would have to warranty them for you wouldnt they? If you just don't want them I'll give them a good home Image

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
Check your pm
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO