Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
romanmoser

by romanmoser

no bueno

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

tacos8910 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:59 pm
Hello just wanted to put out my review of these wheels.

A little background on me.
I am around 92kg and I do powerlifting. According to my handy dandy power meter, I put out low 1500w on a sprint.
I mainly use cycling as a cardio tool when I'm cutting.
I am also a 4th year engineering student and the chief engineer for the Formula SAE Racecar at my school.

Like many, I bought some Hyper 50's (rim brake) right before the price hike. After a lot of research, I decided to pull the trigger on these wheels with my limited budget. After a few miles on these wheels, here is what I have found.

Pros:
They are very light for the depth of the rims (456 grams for the rear replacement rim)
The braking is pretty good for carbon (not anywhere near aluminum though)
The wheels are well tensioned
Noticed a lot more grease in the hubs
Mounting tires was pretty chill
The carbon layup looks consistent

Cons:
I had my rear rim come in with a surface crack (They sent me a rear rim and didn't send any money for rebuilding the wheel)
Both wheels had random red speckles on them (It looks like lint off a workers uniform)
The front wheel came with this pretty nasty scratch (They did NOT send me a front rim boooo) (Most angry about this)
The wheels are very unbalanced (I tried to remedy this with silca's balancing kit, mostly fixed the rear but the front was still pretty bad)
Poor Customer service (I had to wait multiple days just to get a response that didn't address all my issues) (Next step is to call the office in China and use my 7th grade Mandarin to try and get these problems fixed. I hate using my Chinese) (@ChinaCycling pls help)

At the end of the day, I wish I just spent a little more and got wheels from a major brand. These wheels are pretty damn good but the quality control issues (I shouldn't have to settle for rims with f'ing crap under the clear coat) and terrible customer service have got me pretty riled up.
Similar story to me. basically took 4 months to get rear wheel replaced and refunded for local bike shop to rebuild. with recent price hike, next time I'm in the market, pretty sure I'll go with major brand. I wish WS well, but it really wasn't worth the hassle

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boboboss

by Boboboss

jzinckgra wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:45 pm
tacos8910 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:59 pm
Hello just wanted to put out my review of these wheels.

A little background on me.
I am around 92kg and I do powerlifting. According to my handy dandy power meter, I put out low 1500w on a sprint.
I mainly use cycling as a cardio tool when I'm cutting.
I am also a 4th year engineering student and the chief engineer for the Formula SAE Racecar at my school.

Like many, I bought some Hyper 50's (rim brake) right before the price hike. After a lot of research, I decided to pull the trigger on these wheels with my limited budget. After a few miles on these wheels, here is what I have found.

Pros:
They are very light for the depth of the rims (456 grams for the rear replacement rim)
The braking is pretty good for carbon (not anywhere near aluminum though)
The wheels are well tensioned
Noticed a lot more grease in the hubs
Mounting tires was pretty chill
The carbon layup looks consistent

Cons:
I had my rear rim come in with a surface crack (They sent me a rear rim and didn't send any money for rebuilding the wheel)
Both wheels had random red speckles on them (It looks like lint off a workers uniform)
The front wheel came with this pretty nasty scratch (They did NOT send me a front rim boooo) (Most angry about this)
The wheels are very unbalanced (I tried to remedy this with silca's balancing kit, mostly fixed the rear but the front was still pretty bad)
Poor Customer service (I had to wait multiple days just to get a response that didn't address all my issues) (Next step is to call the office in China and use my 7th grade Mandarin to try and get these problems fixed. I hate using my Chinese) (@ChinaCycling pls help)

At the end of the day, I wish I just spent a little more and got wheels from a major brand. These wheels are pretty damn good but the quality control issues (I shouldn't have to settle for rims with f'ing crap under the clear coat) and terrible customer service have got me pretty riled up.
Similar story to me. basically took 4 months to get rear wheel replaced and refunded for local bike shop to rebuild. with recent price hike, next time I'm in the market, pretty sure I'll go with major brand. I wish WS well, but it really wasn't worth the hassle
I agree with you guys. I ordered the Lún Road wheels and I'm pretty satisfied with them so far and I think they were a great deal for $700 with free shipping and everything but now that they cost $800 dollars I would probably just pay for the Farsports Kaze series which costs exactly the same, also offers free shipping but Farsports has established itself as a very reputable brand in the past couple of years, and for the same size, weigh a good 70-80grams less (not that big of a deal but worth noting).

I think where the real advantage comes in is that these entry level Farsports sets come with DT Swiss 350 hubs instead of whatever proprietary hubs Winspace uses from some big Chinese OEM. Even if these hubs are high quality, getting replacements for them is just a hassle, you don't even know who is the OEM, you can only order parts from Winspace, takes a month to arrive. Compare that to DT Swiss, you pay $70 and it's at your door in 2 days, or walk into any LBS, pay $100 and get it instantly. And it's guaranteed to be the same in 10 years as well.

It's 2024 and you want a MicroSpline freehub body for your new 12 speed Ultegra Di2, with a proper brand hub like DT Swiss it'll take 10 mins. Who knows if Winspace will be around by then? What if they'll have a new hub standard and won't even be making freehub bodies for your old ass hub anymore. What are you going to do? Bin your otherwise perfectly fine carbon wheels? Buy a rear hub from a reputable brand for $150-200 then get the wheel rebuilt for another 80? Bit too expensive for a pair of $7-800 wheels. With a similar priced Farports, you're protected from issues like this.

Oms

by Oms

Back from my first group ride on the 50mm hypers.

Out on my own, I've not detected any significant difference (save for that front wheel twitchiness on the 50mm hypers - which might be slowing me down a tad? My averages are the same anyway)...

...but, drafting today it was quite a difference: Way less effort required.

Seems there is a small benefit vs my previous shallow box section wheels (at AV 19-20mph anyway): Saved a bit of weight... and improved drafting. Shame I'll have to work just as hard when I'm out by myself. 😂

Still no creaks or groans. Freehub is freeing-up a little bit (was quite draggy to start with).

PS Braking power very sensitive to the cleanliness of the rim and pad - regular cleaning recommended.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I wrote a review of the Hyper 65s. Check it out.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=167573
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

MC356

by MC356

Anyone know what the spoke tension is the Hyper 50mm rim brake?
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Still waiting for a good european winspace partner / dealer
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Anybody tried 28mm tires on these wheels? Does it look like a ballon because 28 is too wide?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Mcdeez wrote:Anybody tried 28mm tires on these wheels? Does it look like a ballon because 28 is too wide?
Not easy to photograph! 28mm is over the 105% rule and do ballon slightly. Tyres are GP5000 (not tubeless)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Ok thanks!

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

SixThirteen wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:25 am
Casitars wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:38 am
Just asked Winspace about getting pads for the 38's. Here's what they said:

We recommend any high end carbon fiber brake pads, like swiss stop black prince. You can purchase extra set from us as well, which cost $15 with $20 shipping fees.
That's useful to know. They didn't reply to me!

Anyone tried them with the Wiggle Lifeline Blue pads?
To answer my own question, been using Lifeline Blue pads for about 1000km, no issues.

Also, I started to get some creaking and clicking. Checked the skewer, and cassette lockring torque. All OK. So removed the freehub, found it was pretty dry. Put in some grease, put it back together and after a few kms has been fine 500km later.
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

C36

by C36

For those who haven’t yet seen the video from Raoul. It’s a very good one cause he properly measure wheel stiffness, compare it with other well diffused wheels and offers a view on carbon spokes ultimate strength.
The impact test he does, do not really appear meaningful to me but the rest is good.
https://youtu.be/Y3qLeHYmZMk
That highlights quite an amazing performance from Winspace that beat all the existing brands on the stiffness and weight (aero, hub durability or braking are other topics open for comparison).

MC356

by MC356

So I did a 3 quick test, downhill, uphill, flat:
Hyper 50 rim brake Vs Vision Metron 55SL rim brake, in all 3 test the Hypers are notable slower, dont believe the Hype. Please check out my youtube page for a video about this in about a week or so.
https://youtu.be/zHLhSgVU_XQ

Not to mention I already got the Hypers rebuilt 2 times because the spokes move/rotate around, :shock:
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

C36

by C36

MC356 wrote:
You need to give a bit more details cause here there is not much to discuss…Image

MC356

by MC356

Check out the video:
https://youtu.be/m6uFDpQ4_4A

Here are the test results...
Data speaks for itself, Hypers are slower in each test. Watts are within 5 watts of eachother in the uphill and flat tests.
Maybe my Hypers are defective but eversince I put these wheels on my bike I felt like they were slower than the Zipps I had before but I couldnt get myself to admit I made a $1100 mistake. Now after almost 1 year of riding and 1000 miles and this test I know what I was feeling was right.
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com