Hollowgram 35 thoughts and climbing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SuperSix2018

by SuperSix2018

Good morning,

Currently have Hollowgram 35 on a new bike. Who has these and how do they rate them climbing?

What is a good value set of lightweight disc climbing wheels off the shelf to replace when hitting the hills?

Cheers

rides4beer

by rides4beer

I don't have them, but a quick search shows that they're advertised as 1446g, sounds like a pretty good climbing wheel to me. Unless you just have money to burn to save maybe 100g. But you're not gonna find anything rated as "value" and get under 1400g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperSix2018

by SuperSix2018

Thanks mate. I didnt see the weight of them... seem to be an allround wheel at 1400g and 35mm.

Cheers

C36

by C36

Rim version is advertised 1480 and weight 1555. The disc version is quoted up to 1560g... could wonder if real weight would exceed the 1600g

https://www.cannondale-parts.de/Cannond ... n-wheelset

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

SuperSix2018

by SuperSix2018

Does anyone actually have these wheels and an opinion on them?

hannawald

by hannawald

Had them on my Supersix Evo, so the disc version. I haven't ridden them, just immediately sold them. They are not especially light and i think 35mm doesn't look that good. So i decided to upgrade them with Light Bicycle.
They have 28 spokes on rear wheel i think and i sold them quickly. The buyer had already the same and was so happy with their durability that wanted another pair for another bike. He was a heavier rider, maybe something over 90kgs.
I was surprised they had internal nipples at 35mm depth. I understand that for aero wheels but at 35mm...
Their advantage is that they use Cannondale hub and its a bit narrower so it fits well the Supersix fork. With CarbonTi and DT hub I have a problem that rotor is touching my fork. It is probably just my piece, but Cannondale denied warranty saying Cannondale hub is ok, which is true.

andygravett

by andygravett

I have SL 35 disc specific wheels on my supersix tbh I've only started using it recently over relatively undulating rides (I'm based in Scotland so my undulating might differ from yours) but so far so good, aesthetics are meh but looking at say 45 sl or similar you are adding £££ (money and weight) , due to the weather here in Scotland being sh#t I'm a low profile fan anyway and have some Mavic Ksyrium Pro on my other bike and these feel better on the acent and just as good on the decents so far, we have some good 70 mph + drops around here but I'm building up to those over the next few rides, I think my next upgrade will be some ultegra ice tech freeza 160mm rotas and pads, as also have those on the other bike and once warmed up they do perform much better than the standard ultegra discs.Image

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

trailgumby

by trailgumby

andygravett wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:36 am
I have SL 35 disc specific wheels on my supersix tbh I've only started using it recently over relatively undulating rides (I'm based in Scotland so my undulating might differ from yours) but so far so good, aesthetics are meh but looking at say 45 sl or similar you are adding £££ (money and weight) , due to the weather here in Scotland being sh#t I'm a low profile fan anyway and have some Mavic Ksyrium Pro on my other bike and these feel better on the acent and just as good on the decents so far, we have some good 70 mph + drops around here but I'm building up to those over the next few rides, I think my next upgrade will be some ultegra ice tech freeza 160mm rotas and pads, as also have those on the other bike and once warmed up they do perform much better than the standard ultegra discs.
The tanwall tyres look great on your bike. Nice choice. I might have to do the same. :D

Those discs aren't Ultegra level, they're more like 105 or lower. I've just ordered the MY2022 version of your bike with the HM frame and 11s Ultegra mechanical in the red colourway, and it comes with the Freeza rotors. From my experience with MTB, they do make a difference on long descents, so you're on the right path.

Like you I'm not thrilled by the wheelset specs, especially the spokes. I expected they'd have gone with bladed spokes before faffing about with internal nipples. I'm thinking of building up a set of Light Bicycle AR55s with either Pillar 1420 or CX-Ray bladed spokes, as my experience of the spokes on a MTB build is they are stretchier and offer better compliance which translares into them feeling more settled on the riding surface.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Had them stock with supersix evo

They are heavy, i weighted them , came to 1608g ish

Sold them right away

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

acroft95

by acroft95

hannawald wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:21 am
Had them on my Supersix Evo, so the disc version. I haven't ridden them, just immediately sold them. They are not especially light and i think 35mm doesn't look that good. So i decided to upgrade them with Light Bicycle.
They have 28 spokes on rear wheel i think and i sold them quickly. The buyer had already the same and was so happy with their durability that wanted another pair for another bike. He was a heavier rider, maybe something over 90kgs.
I was surprised they had internal nipples at 35mm depth. I understand that for aero wheels but at 35mm...
Their advantage is that they use Cannondale hub and its a bit narrower so it fits well the Supersix fork. With CarbonTi and DT hub I have a problem that rotor is touching my fork. It is probably just my piece, but Cannondale denied warranty saying Cannondale hub is ok, which is true.
I see you also posted about this issue on the supersix thread. Can you advise at all on what an acceptable hub width would be to work on the supersix front fork without rubbing? I am concerned about buying new wheels that wont work. I guess the best way is to measure from the end of the end cap to the rotor mounting point.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

acroft95 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:22 am
hannawald wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:21 am
I see you also posted about this issue on the supersix thread. Can you advise at all on what an acceptable hub width would be to work on the supersix front fork without rubbing? I am concerned about buying new wheels that wont work. I guess the best way is to measure from the end of the end cap to the rotor mounting point.
I believe it was s speficic issue of my bike, although Cannondale warranty guy hasn't accepted that and rejected my case. On my friend's bike it was ok. You could always use 140mm front rotor in the worst case.
Just measure how much space you have currently between the rotor and fork. If that's ok with couple of mm than you will also be ok with other wheels.If it is barely touching than you might have troubles...
Shouldn't also be that hard to borrow different front wheel...